navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice appreciated on roof insulation  (Read 20685 times)
Other-Power

« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:06 AM »

100mm PIR, not celotex but other manufactures for trade should be £25 a sheet ex vat, for what you get, thats cheap, very cheap, think how much work the foil stuff is to install and how much remedial works you need to do to allow the plasterboard etc.

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
don0301

« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »

100mm PIR, not celotex but other manufactures for trade should be £25 a sheet ex vat, for what you get, thats cheap, very cheap, think how much work the foil stuff is to install and how much remedial works you need to do to allow the plasterboard etc.

I'm not paying for it  hysteria
Other-Power

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »

Nope, which of course is great but here is where the engineer dosnt know what the installer does and specs somthing they think is great, on paper it is, just takes more time in your house.  Still looks like great work and you should be laughing next winter. 

My advice is based on me spending my money doing this and my job spending others money doing this.
don0301

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

More deliveries.

don0301

« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2014, 07:07:51 AM »

Will be so glad when this is all finished. They're putting my new lodgers in hotel too over the weekend as they are running over time. 2 guys here over the weekend to paint.

Tues they broke my front gate, and cut my tv arial. Not discovered until I sat down to watch the Arsenal match that evening....

The two extra guys put on since Tues are doing rough work compared to the other guys, with really bad attitude to match. They aren't from the company doing the work.

Anyway....  hysteria

Taylor Wimpey have verbally agreed to compensate me, to be agreed after everything is finished.

Anyone care to help me/suggest suitable figures?

I've thought of:

Loss of rent from previous lodgers (who left as sick of the situation dragging on and on) £453.33

Extra heating bills since I bought the home (bought July 2006). Was rented first few years, I moved in May 2011. The amount while I was not living there I was going to donate to local charity. Any suggestions how I could calculate the losses from having no insulation?

The seven months arguing with them to sort this, the lies, being misled, stress etc? How much should I ask for?

An amount to my other lodger, for her suffering, mould on walls etc. She moved in 1 September 2013.

Anything else I have not thought of?

Thanks again for all help/suggestions as this Epic saga has run on and on  wackoold

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:15:29 AM by don0301 » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:04 AM »

That is quite achievement Don,   
T/W themselves will be living in a tent after this hysteria.
                                          It is bound to cost several arms and legs but looks a really good job.
                                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
don0301

« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »

I'm hoping they'll let me know the final bill

I've estimated it must be the thick end of £10,000....

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2014, 05:21:31 PM »

Don, bravo. genuflect

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
don0301

« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »

So.... hysteria

My lodgers are back in my home, cleaning firm was here today cleaning my whole home for me. Bonus.

The manufacturer of the multi foil insulation has now emailed me with the u value calculations. Very kind of them to do for me.

My roof now is 0.12 W/m2K, building regs require 0.18.

Before the works it was 1.73 W/m2K  hysteria

Still some outstanding works that have now been agreed to be done. Creaking floors and stairs, and sound problems with attached property.

Simcott boss told me so far is £15,000 bill  hysteria

I wonder what compensation package I will get  extrahappy

Well, it has been emotional! Thanks for all help, advice and support during the last few months.  genuflect

* BHDG 120314-2425 - Condensation risk printout.pdf (101.54 KB - downloaded 93 times.)
* BHDG 120314-2425 - UValue calculations printout(1).pdf (69.85 KB - downloaded 85 times.)
* BHDG 120314-2425 - UValue calculations printout.pdf (69.14 KB - downloaded 75 times.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:51:35 PM by don0301 » Logged
don0301

« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2019, 01:08:53 PM »

Hi all

Just logged and realised I hadn't "closed" this Biblical experience....

So, finally got all the works done, took Taylor Wimpey 5 years or so to sort the property....

I had a new gas boiler fitted 1 year ago, and as last winter was quite mild still not sure exactly how good everything is...BUT....

So far this month, WITHOUT any heating, my home is maintaining at least 20/21C minimum temperature!

As well, as all the roof insulation done, I also had all the walls redone with the highest spec bead insulation, new patio doors, all windows resealed and checked, a 43m underground cable to my garage to supply electricity etc, and numerous other works....estimated total cost I worked out to be the thick end of £100,000.

Bear in mind, my home is only as it should have been when built! This is a national scandal I feel, must be so many homes built to shocking standards like mine was....

Last week I finally settled a compensation payment from Taylor Wimpey, to which I had to sign a non disclosure form....

I also, have them paying for a Deed of Variation to remove estate managements fees to my home, another national scandal....this is on going at the moment.

It was an Epic, Biblical battle, but worth it in the end. Hope it gives inspiration to anyone following my footsteps in the future.

Cheers!

Don
smegal

« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2019, 03:25:06 PM »

Hi all

Just logged and realised I hadn't "closed" this Biblical experience....

So, finally got all the works done, took Taylor Wimpey 5 years or so to sort the property....

I had a new gas boiler fitted 1 year ago, and as last winter was quite mild still not sure exactly how good everything is...BUT....

So far this month, WITHOUT any heating, my home is maintaining at least 20/21C minimum temperature!

As well, as all the roof insulation done, I also had all the walls redone with the highest spec bead insulation, new patio doors, all windows resealed and checked, a 43m underground cable to my garage to supply electricity etc, and numerous other works....estimated total cost I worked out to be the thick end of £100,000.

Bear in mind, my home is only as it should have been when built! This is a national scandal I feel, must be so many homes built to shocking standards like mine was....

Last week I finally settled a compensation payment from Taylor Wimpey, to which I had to sign a non disclosure form....

I also, have them paying for a Deed of Variation to remove estate managements fees to my home, another national scandal....this is on going at the moment.

It was an Epic, Biblical battle, but worth it in the end. Hope it gives inspiration to anyone following my footsteps in the future.

Cheers!

Don

Well done for persisting!

I live in a new build (strata). The silly errors that they rely on being fixed through owner snagging and customer care are ridiculous. If they just did the job correctly, they'd save a fortune in remediation.

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
offthegridandy

« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2019, 08:27:02 PM »

What a tale Don.  Had to go back to the start and read it all again. Thanks for letting us know the final outcome. Well done and power to your elbow for sticking to your guns.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print