navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help a newbie out.  (Read 40401 times)
jonesy

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:36 AM »

Martin may be the killer of dreams but Biff is of nostalgia.  I remember re-configuring my 24V bank to get 96V so I could run the washing machine/power tools off the 3kVA inverter so I didnt have to run the genny, as I hated the noise.  Sigh.  Happy days, when it used to take all morning to configure the inverter, run the washing machine and reconfigure.  I didnt do it long, mind, and soon was running both 24V/1000AH for main battery/1kVA inverter and 96V/50AH for the 3kVA inverter.  If I was serious about solar off grid now I'd have a nominal 120V and ditch the inverter; most consumer goods operate off DC or AC.  That would bring the efficiency up a lot and no waste from a running the inverter (I ran my lights like that at 200VDC anyway).  Problem is the protection as only a few MCBs will safely break DC.
I think it'd be a good idea for a permanent thread too.
BTW, CM, you haven't blown me out of the water for the incorrect unit price I quoted.  I said abut 10p/unit, but as I use so little, the standing charge is about the same, so it works out at around 22p/unit (thanks for depressing me CM).  At that price off grid generation is achievable, BUT you have to cut the grid connection otherwise you're still paying standing charge.  The other benefit of off grid solar is that you are protecting yourself against future price rises.  However, over a 2 year period off grid I reckon that I spent at least 1 hour per week tinkering.  Plus you have equipment failure to deal with - I had two inverters go bang, one was pilot error, the other, who knows - all branded gear - no chinese no-name.  I had fully intended to stay off grid, but the clincher for me, finally, was that I was the only person that understood my system.  If I wasn't around for any reason and the lights went out, the family was in deep doodoo.  With a grid connection there is a phone book full of people who can repair it immediately.  My grid connection was about 2k, including a 80m run of 25mm2 feeder, meters, etc - about the price of a good battery pack, but with an infinite life!
It used to be a lot easier to make decisions; now everyone has an opinion.
All biffanio wanted was some advice..where's the 'thread delete button'

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
biffanio

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »

Thank you again everyone for your recent posts.

I have going to probably persevere with the small off grid system and will update the thread shortly to see if it is viable.

All this information you kind people have supplied has been so valuable to my understanding in such a short space of time.

I will keep on learning and researching!

Best wishes

Neil
spaces

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2013, 08:27:55 PM »

jonesy, you mention your meagre use of grid electricity being made very costly with standing charges. Check out https://www.ebico.org.uk/

Simplicity, the ultimate refinement
clockmanFR

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:43 PM »

Spaces, Jonesy lives in France, the warm bit.  hysteria hysteria

Its a State monopoly here with EDF.

I pay 520 euro's a year for the privillage of Grid.  faint

In the UK we are with Ebico.

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
jonesy

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »

Thanks for the link Spaces.
We do have a choice of supplier CM.  We can have EDF (state controlled price - what a quaint idea) or a private supplier - IIRC I have a choice of 3.  All 3 are more expensive than EDF last time I looked.  So how do they stay in business? Must have a very aggressive sales department.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »

Same here Jonsey,  let's go private and pay more than the state monopoly.
When I last looked I thought I was reading it wrong banghead

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
readiescards

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »

Have to say, as noobie also wondering about being off-grid - this discussion was very useful. ta
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: