navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ASHP grants & flexibility on design. Oh & woodburner replacement.  (Read 2241 times)
sunandwindy

« on: December 05, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »

A year or so ago I enquired with a company ‘down south’ (as a friend had successfully used them, though they’re not technically minded) about having a ASHP installed, but they weren't prepared to consider a design without their heat store, in fact they were very patronising, not a good start, so did not progress any further.

Does anyone know any companies who would be flexible with their installations of ASHP’s?

Just in case someone suggests it, my site is not compatible with a GSHP.

Are there grants available for ASHP systems, if so where from please? Are they eligible for RHI?

Okay wrong folder, but I’ll continue... I have a huge wood burner with hotplates that occasionally get used for cooking and boiling water for tea. Its now over 25 years old, so old technology with no back boiler, its basically a box with doors and a flue at the back. There is no doubt better ones are now available. Are there grants available for its replacement, if so where from please?

Thanks for any feedback.

titan

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »

Does anyone know any companies who would be flexible with their installations of ASHP’s?

Are there grants available for ASHP systems, if so where from please? Are they eligible for RHI?

If you have done your homework and are happy that an ASHP will provide the heating you require I would consider forgetting about any grants (or possible RHI) . For any grant or RHI you will need to meet all the qualifying  criteria and have the installation installed/signed off by a MSC installer which will  significantly add to the costs. I was looking at an ASHP and was going to use a qualified refrigeration engineer for the actual ASHP commissioning which would also give  a two year on site manufacturers warranty. As far as I am aware PP is required for an ASHP.
sunandwindy

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:45:52 PM »

PP is required for an ASHP.
What is PP? Just can't think at present Sad Ah... Planning Permission. Not going to worry about this as I have no direct neighbours to complain about it.

mike7

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »

AFAIK PP is not now required unless you've a listed building. There's no RHI for air source heatpumps (Edit: Ooops - I'm wrong, there is  - see below), but especially if it's air2air you're thinking of, with your talents (I just had a peek at your website)  you'd have no problem fitting it yourself.

With the woodburner, it sounds as though it would be way too big now that you're well insulated. Rather than chucking it out though, if it were me I'd be tempted to try reducing the capacity of the firebox by packing it out with firebricks/refractory material and maybe a lower baffle plate. This could allow a smaller more intense (and therefore cleaner burning) fire and a fair bit of extra thermal mass so that the whole thing would behave a bit like a masonry stove.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:58:26 PM by mike7 » Logged
DonL

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »

AFAIK PP is not now required unless you've a listed building. There's no RHI for air source heatpumps, but especially if it's air2air you're thinking of, with your talents (I just had a peek at your website)  you'd have no problem fitting it yourself.

With the woodburner, it sounds as though it would be way too big now that you're well insulated. Rather than chucking it out though, if it were me I'd be tempted to try reducing the capacity of the firebox by packing it out with firebricks/refractory material and maybe a lower baffle plate. This could allow a smaller more intense (and therefore cleaner burning) fire and a fair bit of extra thermal mass so that the whole thing would behave a bit like a masonry stove.
"There's no RHI for air source heatpumps," If so I'm in big trouble! I'm just waiting for a £1300 RHI payment for my air to water ASHP and it should also qualify for RHPP eventually. On the other hand air to air ASHP do not qualify. See Energy Saving Trust website.
I found some installers would let me do much of the work myself and they would just do the installation of the ASHP and certify the installation. They do have to prepare a design dossier and this does have a cost attached. Around here (Malvern) it's quite competitive and the suppliers want the business. So don't write off the idea of getting government grants, they can make the financial case more attractive.
Don

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
sunandwindy

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »

you'd have no problem fitting it yourself.
True, in fact in a previous life about 30 years a go, I used to install such systems, then in later life I used to look after large commercial plants. The reason for the post is to look at all the options.

With the woodburner, it sounds as though it would be way too big now that you're well insulated.
Good point, however it was undersized before I installed the insulation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: