navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easterdown Off Grid - Generator Question  (Read 22746 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »

direct DC charging is much more reliable and clean  then cheap AC generators , Paul

A "proper" modern  off grid idea should not have a dirty AC generator , while the generator is running  in an AC idea ,we off gridders  will have dirty juice , beside the high quality gear from SMA or Victron that we have ....  our true sinwave clean  off grid setup is bypassed when the generator is running , i cannot see this as an advantage  Smiley

Surely , i prever a cheap  true sinewave Inverter attached to the battery (charged by the DC genny) in case my main system fails  to a AC generator that has to run 7 days every hour just to keep my internet router awake  wackoold

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »

True .... but even that one , i managed to kill  Roll Eyes  .... perhaps i did not check the engine oil often enouch .... me  had only luck with PV and the water  turbine (ok beside my Victrons and the PzS battery) , up to now .... everything else i  somehow managed to destroy  whistlie

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:22:07 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »

Hello billi,
        I ran chinese generators for years,In fact I would have installed a few for friends. There was a cheap 2.5kw diesel jobbie for sale for about 450euros and I set up a few of these to run for approx 5 to 6 hours every day for years.Because they were cheap they got no care.They just threw in the red diesel and bunged the cap on turned the key and away they went.
        Some went for 6 years,they blew the little exhaust off,the square tinny metal frames rotted away,sometimes replaced by a bit of black water mains pipe.Some folks showed a bit of respect and actually cared for them. The engines never ever blew up but one or 2 did stop charging after approx 4 years and had the avr replaced which was very east sourced.They were hellish noisy but they seemed to be very reliable.
            Then I knew people who went and spent the money on the real deal and goodness me did they suffer,!! I will not name names or brands but one guy blew his very expensive engine before the paint was even burned off the exhaust.He had to employ the services of a solicitor before he got any satisfaction,menawhile he rented a pertol jobby,thinking he could sue the generator supplier but the supplier coughed up with another brand new one and all seemed hunky dory for about 8 months and then that one lay down with the exact same engine complaint.So it seems to me that there is a bit of luck involved.I supplied a version of the one that V intends to buy to a friend with a massive yard,The local power company said that they were gong to cut the power for 24 hours,so my friend did not want his yard and offices to be without lecky.That was almost 10yrs ago. The power was cut for 4 days and my friend said that the geni paid for itself in those 4 days.It is still going,battered beyond recognition. I has been powering mobile homes full of Russians and Poles and take out on the road during breakdowns.Even though they rev at 3000rpms they still run for 6 hours on less than a gallon.
     I like Lister. I have Listers but when I turn the key,its a Chinese one that doing the business.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »

Biff, i guess most of my Chinese ones with Yanmar cloned engines , similar to Vickys Hyundai, would be still alive , i guess i ran them just too hard 

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: