navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inverter Replacement ?  (Read 1203 times)
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« on: December 06, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »

I have a question !

I have a 1.7kW Sunny Boy Inverter controlling the 1.44kW Array of PV which is now 4 years old.

I also have a SB2500TL Controlling the new 2.44kW Array which was installed in April.

The new SB2500TL seems a lot more efficient than the old 1.7 and after speaking to the Energy Savings Trust, they said they knew a lot of people were swapping out their old PV Inverters for new ones because they were more efficient and therefore help produce more so I wondered if anyone else had done this ?

All finished so the new adventure now starts here !
JulianC

Ex-MCS solar pv bod. Now a DIY bodger.

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »

I'd take anything EST say with a pinch of salt. I don't know of anyone swapping a perfectly good, working inverter for one with improved efficiency. Does the cost of a new inverter make it worthwhile?
brackwell

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »

I notice that both inverters are oversized when ideally they should be under sized.  The smaller one being the most undersized will be performing well under max efficiency at the best of times,full summer sun and in overcast or ends of days it will be well down.

If the SB2500TL was a twin tracker you could put one set on each track perhaps. This would mean the inverter will cut back production for say 1hr on perhaps 30 summer days (which mine does) which is very small. For the rest of the year the inverter will be working nearer max efficiency.   Not sure buying a new inverter stacks up.

Ken
M

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:37 AM »

Hiya. I've pondered the same quite a bit. My ESE system(s) use two inverters, one of them a SB1200 (the sister of the SB1700), not very efficient. Have found a couple of dual inverters that should be able to operate both systems, but ....... whilst the efficiency gains would be very welcome, they are probably too small to justify, even when including some e-bay income from the old ones. Also, since our inverters will fail eventually, that seems like a good time to trade up, with the best tech available at the time.

Some euro-efficiency weightings for you:

SB2500TL 96%
SB1700 92%
SB1200 91%
SB1300TL 94%
SB1600 TL 95%

Not sure if the gains would be worth it for you, perhaps the 1300 would be the best match (not sure), but even if going from slightly oversized to slightly undersized raised performance, the total gain may only be about 3-5%. Not knocking that, I'd love it, but does it work out over say 10 years? Interesting question/situation.

[Edit: Navitron sell a Samil SR1600TL for 386 (inc VAT), that is 96% Euro-efficiency, but oversized again. M.]

Mart.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:09:26 AM by M » Logged

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »

Thanks guys, I am not looking to do anything at the moment, just wondered what the thoughts were so thanks for that info, certainly gives me somehting to think about !

All finished so the new adventure now starts here !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: