navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backup generator for a low consumption on-grid house?  (Read 16837 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »

You see what I mean Paul,
                           You try and stick your old Lister on that back that quad and see what happens.Its a pity those nasties in the white transits diddled you to the 2 eyes with them rejects and they are not even diesel ones. Roll Eyes.You just bought the wrong Chinese gear,thats all.
    You bought 6,? Good Lord,those petrol jobbies were going for 175 euros each at the last harvest fair and they never sold one.
       Getting back to the Listers and I really like Listers,I have to say that if they were being sold as new in todays market they would all have to be recalled.Nowaday everything is so H and S that it would be virtually impossible to sell such a generator in its present form/
      If you look at Hyundai you can see immediatly that great care has been taken to make sure that every part of the machine is user friendly and one could not possibly have an accident ,even if they tried.I like Listers and I have a few but I dont run them.I run the chinese ones,less hassle.
                                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
skyewright

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »

It was a GT6 I had David, 1969 MkII nine years old with wire wheels
My GT6 was a 1973 MkIV (so no transverse leaf spring to worry about when cornering). Before that I had a MkII Spitfire with wire wheels. Regrinding the valves on the Spitfire was the acme of my efforts as a "reluctant motor mechanic".  Boy was I relieved when the engine started okay after refitting the head! Grin

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
ecogeorge

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:59 PM »

...years to let it boogie.....
I hope you feel better for having got all that off your chest.

[/quote]
sorry had to add the link......    

George.
camillitech

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 09:57:57 PM »

...years to let it boogie.....
I hope you feel better for having got all that off your chest.

sorry had to add the link......    

George.
[/quote]

George, behave  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Eleanor

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »

I guess my chest just isn't hairy enough yet as I've only got a 2.7kVA SDMO generator with a Honda engine. I'm keeping on with the hormone tablets and am hoping to get a Lister in 2015 if they don't stop my prescription. I've had a succession of lower cost generators and over time in monetary terms there probably isn't much in it but the aggravation when you have a battery bank which needs charging and it won't start can't be measured in s  banghead

The SDMO generator cost around 400 from a "local" supplier but I've already tested their support and I can pretty much ring them and say I'm on my way and they'll look at it. Obviously I can fix it myself but it's good to know they are there  Roll Eyes

I'm doing this for free, please be nice to me surrender
"Very few batteries die a natural death ... most are murdered" stir
skyewright

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »

As a follow up on this...

Today we have "first fruits".

Two poles linked to our local pole mounted transformer are being replaced & we had a letter last week advising of a 1000 to 1500 power cut today. Just before 1000 I had the genny running. When the line guys pulled the transformer's fuse and the power went off, I isolated us from the grid, made sure the grid-tie PV was disconnected[1], connected us to the genny & hey presto normal operation resumed.  Grin

Just have to remember not to use the kettle at lunch...  Wink

PS. If there was one improvement I'd suggest for the genny it would be some way of telling how much fuel is in the tank.

[1] Pity, but I don't think the little genny would be very happy acting a recipient of export, even if the GTI was happy to recognise the genny as a grid connection!

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: