navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 48v 6kw grid tie inverter? Do they exist? Trace just packed up.  (Read 7984 times)
Farmermick

« on: December 18, 2013, 11:58:42 PM »

Embarrassed my trace 4.5 kW 48 v inverter has packed up, running on a 3.3 trace now but it's not great. Grid is very good here so might scrap the batteries ( 100 of) and buy a grid tie inverter...... The only problem is they don't seem to exist , anyone got any ideas?
marcus

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:08:42 AM »

If you're not using the batteries you can daisychain the panels to get the voltage in the range GTI's like (assuming you have matched sets of panels).
clivejo

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:30:42 AM »

When you say packed up, what happened to it?  Is there a display?  Traces of smoke or melting on the FET board?

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
clivejo

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:40:21 AM »

I have been considering this range of inverter built in Taiwan.  http://www.mppsolar.com/Photovoltaics/INVERTERS.html#01-4

This is the 6kW model on FleaBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6000W-pure-sine-wave-DC-to-AC-power-inverter-48v-60A-battery-charger-UPS-/161162591967

DISCLAIMER : Iím not responsible for anythingÖ for anything I say or do. Cos Iím a proud member of clan Eejit who once ruled Ireland.
Jonah

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:24:45 AM »

I'd potentially be interested in your batteries if you do go down that rd Wink

Marc
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »

Well, plenty gti available....,But were is the beneFIT ?

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Farmermick

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »

Don't have panels, it's on one of my proven 6s, there's a smell of burnt telly off the trace, it's seemed to be a part on a board about the size of 6 fig rolls stacked in two stacks of three hysteria sorry about the descriptions, I did take a pic but I've deleted it and didn't get a chance to take the cover off again today, trace loved screwing things together.... I think the display was working, ill light it up tomorrow with some jump leads and check. Running on a 3.3 kW trace now but it's not able to run the place so busy taking heavy load circuits off the system today putting them on separate breakers direct off mains.
So I was thinking.......... Why not bite the bullet and get a windy boy, sell to the grid , no more over current worries from the inverter but I don't seem to be able to find one. Has anyone else found a solution.? Kingspan's installers here (in Ireland) suggested swapping the core to a 600v but I did swap the core before years ago and I don't fancy doing it again, not only was it 2500 sterling but it's 17m up on a lattice tower which I don't fancy taking down. So is there a way to step up my output from the charge controller so I can use a bog standard sunny boy ? Need to use something " approved" to get payback from grid here.
A solar guy in Wexford murmured something about sunny island but said it would be expensive, can a sunny island be set up to do this?
clivejo

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »

Don't have panels, it's on one of my proven 6s, there's a smell of burnt telly off the trace, it's seemed to be a part on a board about the size of 6 fig rolls stacked in two stacks of three hysteria sorry about the descriptions, I did take a pic but I've deleted it and didn't get a chance to take the cover off again today, trace loved screwing things together.... I think the display was working, ill light it up tomorrow with some jump leads and check.

LOL Yes Trace did indeed love to screw them together. They are well built and built to last!  You should try changing the fuse in one, bowel surgery is probably easier.  hysteria

Melting plastic is not a good sign Sad  How old is the unit??  Id put a bet on that you had a "Cascade failure" and a dozen MOSFETS are fried.  This is caused when both gates are open at the same time and short circuit.  Within a split second a whole row of them get fried.

This is a photo of the damaged MOSFETS in one of mine suffering the same fate.

freddyuk

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:46 AM »

I have certificates for Steca GT in Ireland. You can connect a 2010 and 2 slaves to get 6kw?
Farmermick

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:54:22 PM »

Thanks I'm checking them out now!
clivejo

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »

I have been chatting with Mike off-board and he has sent me a few photos of the damage.  The damage is on the Generator Relay and the heat damage looks like an overload to me, what you guys think?

I wonder could Mike comment on what the inverter was doing at the time of the failure?

Farmermick

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 07:26:10 PM »

I'm not sure what it was doing at the time but it has been overloaded to the point of setting off the over current error more than once a week for the past seven years. Inverter was fine so long as everything wasn't switched on at the same time. It would happily run a dryer or washing machine or diswasher or kettle plus the rest of the house but not two things at once. Tried explaining it to the rest of them here but...... banghead

Pulled those circuits and put them directly on mains now  Embarrassed

Is that relay available?
marcus

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 07:46:36 PM »

The damage is on the Generator Relay and the heat damage looks like an overload to me, what you guys think?

The obvious supposition from that is that it was connecting with a generator and for some reason there was an overload (genny going out of sync/ stuck relay contact so the trace coudn't disconnect for e.g.).

Having looked at the pic though,  I'm guessing the burnt part is only the connection to the coil of the relay not the contacts (I can't see detail of the tracks on that pic, alas). Whilst a failure of the coil side would stop you connecting to a genny, I don't see why that would stop the inverter itself working. Unless there was an arc over from the 230v contact side of the relay to the 12v coil side - in which case anything connected to the 12v rail could be fried.

Sorry but without more detail I can only guess/speculate.
Farmermick

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »

Never had a generator connected but sometimes it thought there was one and would see amps and try to do something. Sometimes I'd go through the meter menu and see amps from the non existent generator.
marcus

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »

Did you have problems with damp/condensation where the inverter was housed?

The only thing I can think is that there was leakage of AC power from the inverter output to the generator input making the inverter think there was AC coming in - that in itself wouldn't kill the inverter but if the leakage spread to the low voltage circuits it could fry them - hence I'm thinking there may have been condensation on the PCB with the relays.

You say the display lights up but don't say what else the inverter does other than not working - is the display blank? error messages? fault lights?

Another thought: if the coil of the relay is shorted then that could cause the burning on the pcb (possibly), and, just maybe, overloading the 12v power rail. You might try removing the relay and see if the inverter is any happier - if you don't use it with a genny then the absence of the relay shouldn't matter - probably.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: