navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silly boy hopes someone can help (WRB09)  (Read 3399 times)
rogermunns

« on: January 13, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »

I have a WRB09 heat pump driving underfloor heating from Ground Source.

The heat pump is in the basement. For the four years that it has been working (faultlessly) I needed to go down into the basement in order to switch on / off or adjust temperatures.

So today I decided I would extend the wiring from the unit to the wall controller so I could have the controller panel in the kitchen, making it much less agro if I wanted to adjust things.

But I was silly, in that I did not disconnect the mains before I started. I was just too lazy to walk back upstairs in order to throw the trip and, after all, I was only moving the four wires to four-way choc block. The first thing I did was to take off one of the data leads. Immediately I got a flashing red light and a beeping. So I went upstairs to throw the trip. I can't recall whether I put the wire back on first. I then disconnected the four wires from the panel.

I then extended all the wires and put the controller in the kitchen. But when I put power back on I got a flashing red with beeps. After a minute or so, the beeps stop. Error message Eo11 is showing.

So at the moment I have no heat pump.

Can anyone please help? I already have a query into Navitron, but so far not solved.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:35:18 PM by rogermunns » Logged
dhaslam

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:29:26 AM »

That error number doesn't seem to be in the manual, have you been able to find out what it is supposed to represent?   

Have you tried using the controller in its original position again?  Perhaps the cable was close to another power cable on the way to the new position.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
rogermunns

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:27:09 AM »

Thanks for reply, sorry it's been a few days............................

I did try it back in original position --  no go, still flashing red and Eo11.

I am in contact with Steve at Navitron and we are now pretty sure that the prob. lies within the heat pump electronics rather than in the control panel.

Yes, error Eo11 is not in my manual either; we are investigating via the manufacturers.
rogermunns

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:57:09 PM »

Error Eo11 relates to a faulty return brine temperature. That is, the thermocouple is kaput. I can't really see how this could have happened by disconnecting, but when I disconnected maybe it threw out some electronic component relating to that thermocouple.
Anyway, I have replaced the thermocouple - no joy, still the same problem.
And I have also installed a new control unit - no joy.
So I'm a bit stuck at the moment.
Luckily it has been mild here and we do have other heating, so that is at least consoling.
I am now going to dip the taken-off thermocouple in warm water and see if I get an amperage.
rogermunns

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:12:55 PM »

I was wrong regarding what would happen if I measured the output from the Tc when I warmed it in hot water. Of course I get no voltage change or current flow. What I got was a resistance change, so I assume there is nothing wrong with the Tc.  In addition I also tried the same with the outlet brine Tc and that reports exactly the same.
I am still in communication with Keram to try to get to the bottom of this.

But I am now looking at replacing the WRB09 with an ASHP. Any recommendations? I need about 12kW and the output will go straight into my underfloor network.
Ivan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 12:17:19 PM »

You will probably have to include a buffer tank to prevent the heatpump cycling, unless you've got sufficient water capacity in the system, but the best option is probably the Orilux - it's a low cost heatpump that achieves good COPs, and has been rebranded as a big-brandname heatpump for a number of years. I've been running one for several months now, and impressed with it. You won't get the same COPS out of an ASHP as you would from a GSHP during very cold spells, but in mild conditions, they can match or exceed the output of a GSHP - especially towards the end of the heating season

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
dhaslam

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »

Since you have well water at 12C isn't it a pity not to stick with  a GSHP?    With  input temperature  close to 12C  you would only need a GSHP  of about half of the size of the  ASHP.       

For two cold winters I had a  5 kW  ASHP running  for nine hours on average.   I now have a 3 kW ground source that produces similar temperatures   with  about five hours running. The GSHP input temperature is 15C when the seasonal store is up to temperature.   The electricity used per hour is about the same, 1.25 kW.    The ASHP output was an estimated  2.5 kW and  the GSHP  4.5 kW.   

To me the main advantage of the  GSHP is the  probability of lasting longer   because of the more protected location.     

This is a reference to your  original install.
http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12479.0.html

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: