navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Grid Tarriff  (Read 2601 times)
Hoodfarm

« on: January 16, 2014, 05:59:42 PM »

I am interested to learn if any amoungst you venerable Off Gridders are obtaining any Tarriff & if so, how its worked out for you.
      Alan , W cornwall
nowty

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »

Its possible but I like modifying and tinkering with my off grid system far too much to bother with the FIT.

And I do have a separate 4kw grid tie system on full rate FIT so I am happy anyway.

11kW+ of PV installed and 54+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
250,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
offthegridandy

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:17:04 PM »

I havnt got it and don't want it.  I don't think there should be any subsidy like FITS.  I understand why it was done but personally think  most subsidies cause more trouble .
Olus whaqt I do here is my  business and I don't want mr officialdom sticking his/her oar in.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:12:07 PM »

...  , true ,   "Why FiT"   Smiley

Its a pleasure , to  do without subsidises  and show that   with  renewable sources like PV , Wind , etc   and a small storage , we can live  independently (from fossil fuelled electricity most of the time )  ..... something the Grid still has to learn  laugh

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:47:52 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
AlanM

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:56:08 AM »

Well my system is off grid, and i get FITs. Couldnt afford to buy it without getting some help. Its straightforward, I give SSE my readings, they send me a cheque. Works well for about 2/3rds of the year. Just now there is little light so generator gets used as backup, but a small turbine will offset that once I get it up and running.
Mike McMillan

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »

I too am off grid and receive payments for generating my own power. I have a relay driver that automatically open's circuits as the battery voltage comes up. Very rarely in use at this time of the year, but soon my de humidifiers and then storage heater will start clicking in. Alan, how do you run a generator without going through the generation meter?

Mike

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
AlanM

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:09:16 AM »

My panels go to a GTI then through meter,to consumer unit, to Victron back to battery. The generator is wired to the AC in of the Victron.
skyewright

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »

My panels go to a GTI then through meter,to consumer unit,...
Do I recall correctly that you almost have to have an arrangement like that if you want off-grid FITs as the meter needs to be an approved one but all the approved ones are AC so you need to convert the PV DC to AC, meter it, then back to DC for the batteries?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
AlanM

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »

Yes, I wa chasing about contacting meter manufacturers to find DC meters, which are available, but none are MID registered(ofgem approved), so had to be an AC meter. The question then was where to put it. If i put it on the output of the Victron, there would be no way of telling which power was from PV, wind or genny. Hence my DC-AC-DC system. In one sense its better as the meter is logging what is generated prior to battery losses. And Wind /genny is separate. My turbine is 48V and will go to the battery, but you could have a GT one and fed it through a windy boy or somesuch and AC couple it with a separate meter for it. But my turbine is non MCS so ( and 48V) not doing that in any case.
nowty

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »

Yes for FITs you have to AC couple the PV to a combined inverter / battery charger like a Sunny Island or Victron.
You cannot DC couple using charge controllers.

11kW+ of PV installed and 54+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
250,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: