navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thunder and lightning  (Read 2109 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: October 16, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »

.... frightening .... i  just saw the brightest  lightning  and heart the most impressive thundering  in my  sweet young live ....

And , me am not used to this in Ireland ..... it   now happens much more often ..... somehow  i am happy that the  windturbine on the highest point of our off grid home is disconnected

Last week  , the whole  area ( depends how big one defines area  whistlie ) was without electricity and  many Phones , router  , and other  el . goods where  fried ...

For us off gridders , is kinda funny  to have electricity  , while the (mainly coal and Nuclear)fired  Grid is down ,  but  please help me , if ever a lightning  hits my system  facepalm

Love it right now  pitch black sky , enlightened  by lightning , followed by thunder and raindrops as big as sweet cherries ....

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Iain

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »

Hi billi

Just watching ours on this!!!

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=12

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
Bodidly

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »

Had a couple of active storms pass over here in the last hour. Nothing spectacual here but always like a good thunderstorm  Cheesy
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »

Lightening is dangerous stuff,
                          Some years ago it hit the ground near our turbine and next thing,it was flickering along the the tail of the Turbine. It  blew the big blue plug on the geni,one of the brains on the Symmetra and knocked the sound off the TV for about an hour. I could hardly believe it when the sound came on later. hysteria.
  The bank was ok,as was the controller and inverter. The geni was not running at the time and was not connected to the house ac.After that the whole countryside was  inn darkness and I turned on every light in the place. We had outage locally for days afterwards.
   It was a bit weird really. if the strike had hit the turbine first it would have wiped out the lot,Batteries and all.
                                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Bodidly

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »

Lightening is dangerous stuff,

You're not wrong there Biff

Had several direct strikes here over the years. Lost freezers, phones, and even had a bit of a zap while touching an AGA during a storm. Heatpump had it's brain fried soon after installation. Suppliers assured me it would not have been the lightning that did the damage as the fuse had tripped. Replaced the controls (400 worth) under warranty as the manufacturer thought it their fault  wackoold 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: