navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 16V batteries!?  (Read 6004 times)
pat

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 06:49:12 PM »

I just connected my 1kW Navitron turbine up and connected the 4 new "12" Volt batteries I bought from a local ships chandlers.

They are Fiamm deepcycle type 685.

With the 4 connected in series to give a nominal 48V, the actual voltage across then is currently 62.8V which is too much for my inverter which trips out.

One battery measures 14.2V, the other three are 16.2V (+/- 100mV)

Are the batteries duff? The little indicators on them say they "require charging" 16V seems too high to me...

Tim.

Tim, are you measuring the voltage when they are connected to the charge controller and the turbine in good wind, if so then the voltage (62.8V) would be as expected as the voltage on a live system has to be higher than the 48V or your batteries would not charge.
Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but I think you have good batteries and everything is working as it should
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: