navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: solar thermal worth it? (when used with PV and immersun)  (Read 6143 times)
cypher007

« on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »

wondering if solar thermal is worth it? would I need a MSC installer? whats the RHI like?

Look, I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, princess (renewables). I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money.

Steca Coolcept-x 3600, Solarworld 265wp Mono-Black, 3.975kwp.
Stochengberge

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »

Given what I know now, the availability of things like Immersun and the constant delays in the solar thermal RHI for domestic applications, I probably wouldn't have bothered with thermal and would have max'd out the PV on the available roof space.
PV heats your water & you get the FIT payment as well. Bargain!!!

SB.

On the North Downs of Kent with 3.2kWp facing 12' west of south @ 33', 36 x 58mm Thermal tubes on an east / west split, 300ltr triple coil DHWC and an 8kW to water WBS.
cypher007

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »

that's one big tank 300ltr's. is it just for dhw? how many people are tanking showers there? on a serious note im wondering if a 3kw element could heat that much water? anyone.

Look, I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, princess (renewables). I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money.

regen

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »

300 litre is fine when its being supplied by a wood burning stove as well which inturn supplies some or all of central heating.  Just for hot water then 100 to 150 litres is good but make sure the immersion element is installed near the bottom of the tank. It will probably max out during periods of high generation particularly with a 4kw pv system.

Last year our 4kw which feeds a 300 litre store maxed out on about 5 occasions.  The beauty of the thermal store is it allows you to combine different heat scources simultaneously and then feed both central heating and hot water at the same time.

Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
cypher007

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:49 PM »

just noticed you've got 1kw and 3kw immersion heaters. didn't know you could get a 1kw element, this solves the exporting some lecy at peak times problem. how are they fitted on the tank both at the bottom? how does the immersun feed them?

jeff wode

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »

ive seen 3kw immersion heaters fed with 110v from a yellow site transformer making it pretty much a 1.5kw immersion, and the beauty of it is that 3kw heaters are cheap as chips and available everywhere. i thought it was a great idea, although it helps if you have the yellow transformers kicking about the placee.
Countrypaul

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 07:48:52 PM »

ive seen 3kw immersion heaters fed with 110v from a yellow site transformer making it pretty much a 1.5kw immersion, and the beauty of it is that 3kw heaters are cheap as chips and available everywhere. i thought it was a great idea, although it helps if you have the yellow transformers kicking about the placee.

If you feed a fixed resistance load at half voltage you only get 1/4 the power out of it not 1/2. Halving the voltage also halves the current so 1/4 of the power, so most likely the immersion ran at 750W rather than 1.5kW.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:50:55 PM by Countrypaul » Logged
jeff wode

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 01:50:22 AM »

ah right, i was only going by what the guy told me in passing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: