navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wind turbine worth installing one?  (Read 2782 times)
martin

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »

I'm really, really sorry to shoot down people's dreams like this, but what is particularly relevant is not so much the predicted windspeed, but the turbulence induced by the surrounding buildings. To be viable, a turbine needs to be able to stick it's head into the wind and grind out the power for long periods - the sort of turbulence you'd from those buildings, fences, hedges etc. to the SW will mean the poor thing would spend all it's time "hunting" for the wind, and you'd just never get the consent for a really tall tower to get it up above the turbulence.
A few years ago we had the "roof-mounted chocolate teapot" scandal, during which several unscrupulous companies tried to suggest turbines would work in built-up areas - they don't!

As I said, emphatically, categorically, with the information you've given us, no turbine is going to produce viable amounts of electricity as would justify the expense, hassle and fed up neighbours - somewhere there's a Youtube video in which the MD of Windsave admits you'd be lucky to have got a tenner's worth of electricity per annum out of one of his teapots.......

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »

This is one that you will have to leave behind you Cypher,
                                    Not only will you have the neighbours all coming out against you,but you will give us all a bad name.This has all been done before and has ended in tears.You need the space to operate and you do not have it.Sorry.!
                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
cypher007

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »

what about some sort of diesel generator running on used veg oil? used at peak times to supply something like 3kw.

Look, I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, princess (renewables). I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money.

Steca Coolcept-x 3600, Solarworld 265wp Mono-Black, 3.975kwp.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »

Jotec,
       One of our members has a CS Lister called Billyjo which runs on spuds,,well not quite,it runs practically on any kind of oil,chip pan fat to lard.any kind of veggie oil.
       Jotec sunk his into the ground and fitted a massive big exhaust which also travels under the ground,I believe the noise level is very low.Maybe that might be a better direction to travel in. Jotec is also a rather helpfull member so if you had questions,I am sure he would be glad to answer them for you.
                                                                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
ianh64
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »

OT. Difficult to judge scale, but from your first image it looks like you have a doosy of a tall tree that will cast you late morning shade in the winter months. It probably won't have too much effect as the other flanks look clear and it will only affect you when generation levels are low, but thought that I would mention it.

It looks like to be similar distance that some of our trees are at, although we do also have some closer. From observations this year, a 60ft tree in similar position but down the hill cast shade till about 20th Jan, so you could be looking at around 60 hours shade from the tree a year.
clockmanFR

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 07:40:54 PM »

cypher007, sorry mate, but with all those trees and houses you will have just to much turbulence.

I have my lot in the centre of a 8 acre field, but every year all my surrounding hedges/boundaries get chopped down to 1.8m high. Mrs CM hedges get it as well, but I do them when she is not looking.  Grin

I keep an eye on trees 1/2 a mile away, they are not mine, and amend them as necessary. Roll Eyes

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: