navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Float? Switch for Submersible Pump  (Read 5433 times)
kristen

« on: February 03, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

I have a submersible pump in a soakaway, the float valve arm gets caught occasionally Sad Also, the soakaway is about 6' deep, I think it would be better if the pump came on less often (and ran for longer)

Can I get a better arrangement for the float switch?  I read of an infrared water-height sensor, that sounds like it would do me Smiley

Also, I could do with a sensor for an overflow alarm, in case / when the pump fails.

The pump I have in there at present is temporary (one I have lying around for "emergencies") and I would like to plumb in a permanent pump. Suggestions on the make / type / spec of pump would be appreciated.  I reckon there might be 1 cu.m. when the soakaway (well, the 60cm pipe up it's middle) is full to 6' depth, so the pump needs to do 1 cu.m. each time it runs, and needs to lift it a bit more than the 6' - 2.5M at most.
daserra

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »

Here you can get separate float switches which you dangle from above. They have an adjustable lead weight so you can set the min & max heights. they work well, are cheap and simple.

http://www.volter.pt/produtos.php?f=80

Rammed earth/ytong PassivFrankenHaus.
In the hills in Southern Portugal.
Borehole, on-grid.
Home made pool solar.
Fintray

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:58:20 PM »

Try one of these and you could easily fit a micro switch to the arm to act as a high level alarm:
http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/media/70542-Accessories-Float-Switch-Datasheet.pdf

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
kristen

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »

Thanks. I've had a look (including a helpful "How does a float switch work" YouTube Smiley ) and that is the same as the float switch on my current sump pump (although it is tethered to the pump, and I could get one with a longer lead and set it to given me more height from "Full" to "Empty".  However, with my current pump the float switch has got caught on several occasions - and either overflowed, or carried on pumping when the catchment tank was empty.

I wonder if this type would be better?  Only place I can find one is on eBay, I'm sure they must exist in the online shops, but I haven't found the keywords in Google to locate one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-110-240V-NY-321-Fluid-Water-Level-Control-Hanging-Type-Float-Switch-NO-NC-/360550736122

daserra

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »

I've not seen that type sorry.

Rammed earth/ytong PassivFrankenHaus.
In the hills in Southern Portugal.
Borehole, on-grid.
Home made pool solar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: