navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home and insulation  (Read 10083 times)
aron the spammer

« on: March 11, 2014, 06:24:45 AM »

I want to discuss with you guys about insulation. There are mainly two types of insulation in the home i.e are made primarily using glass or rock. Which one you use between these two? Which one is better if we compare them? What is your experience on these? Your comment will be appreciated.

Green Living | Energy Saving Tips | How Green Energy can Help you to Save Your Energy Bills | Go Green and Save Environment and Money
regen

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:39:45 AM »

"I want to discuss with you guys about insulation. There are mainly two types of insulation in the home i.e are made primarily using glass or rock. Which one you use between these two? Which one is better if we compare them? What is your experience on these? Your comment will be appreciated."

Aron,

If you read the last 200 posts on here under the energy efficiency and insulation section you will realise that there is more to the subject than glass or rock. Regen

3.92w freestanding PV with sb3300 +Imersun
21kw Stratford T70 woodburner
 300litre thermalstore with 3kw and 1kw immersions
 Wall star 25kw oil boiler
  Spring water supply with uv and ro membrane
 Sheep, poly tunnel and approx 80 sq m of raised veg beds.
clockmanFR

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »

As I said, I am now trying Sheep.  Grin

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
danmc_82

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »

Whats insulation?

12kw Hamlet Solution Boiler Stove,
Triple Coil Cylinder.
4Kw ASHP Pool Heater.
Greenbeast

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:18:08 PM »

And how good is insulation made from rock?

Is that what they were doing when they made old farmhouses 2' thick out of local stone....
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »

When cold I stuff a cat down my jumper.
This is my last reply to any of your posts.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
daserra

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:58:52 PM »

Off to shear some rock.

Rammed earth/ytong PassivFrankenHaus.
In the hills in Southern Portugal.
Borehole, on-grid.
Home made pool solar.
clockmanFR

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »

"Cat down Jumper", got to see that Tod.    ?  hysteria hysteria

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 07:25:06 PM »

That could be dangerous Tod,
                            We have cats around here that you could not even look at never mind stuff them down your jumper. hysteria
                                                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Bodidly

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:30:29 PM »

A cat down the jumper  Shocked This would result in a trip to intensive care with our moggy.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:11 PM »

You just have to choose the cat dependant on temperature.
Summer cat

Autumn cat

Winter cat

Spring cat

Of course in extreme conditions you can add more than one, this will of course mean violent movement which will warm you up.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
M

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »

"Cat down Jumper", got to see that Tod.    ?  hysteria hysteria

Yeah, me too. I've often heard of a duck down duvet, but never a cat down jumper.

Still, it raised my eyebrows less than your confession that you are "now trying sheep". But being Welsh, who am I too judge, After all, what a man gets up to in the privacy of his own loft, is his business and nobody else's!  angel

On a more serious note (just for a change), isn't 'regular' loft insulation made from spun liquid rock, or is it perhaps I that has been spun a line?

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
M

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »

Tod, I'm not sure I'd trust 'summer cat', there's a look in the eye's, plus it's packing a knife!

As this thread appears to have gone animal mad, I thought I'd share a couple of stories from yesterday.

Tale 1. Swan Lake, and the circle of life: one of the nicest days each year, when on my daily wander around the local park/lake is to see the newly hatched signets, here's a pic form ~6th May 2013

but yesterday is one of the annual sad days. After 10 months of living together 24/7 Mr Swan began relentlessly chasing the surviving 3 fully grown signets off the lake. It happens each year at about this time, once Mrs Swan decides it's time to build a nest. Oh well, that's nature I guess.

Tale 2. He was just an old saggy cloth cat, but Emily loved him: We've been getting a visitor now for about 2 years. He's been named Flash, as although he's a big fellah, he's 'gone in a ..' out the catflap as soon as he sees or hears us. He's feral, but submissive to our guys, and just wants a quick munch of biccies from the conservatory and a warm curl up on the cane furniture when it's peeing down outside. But he doesn't trust us enough to stay for long.

Well, after 2 years of patience, I managed to just touch him last week, and during the next 3 visits managed a gentle fuss, having bribed him with some fresh wet food. Yesterday he let me stroke him properly, he's a big solid boy, but extremely scared. But finally managed a photo.

You can't save em all, but you can help a few.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
dimengineer

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 10:03:04 PM »

I thought a "cat down jumper" was a euphemism for something entirely different. But one lives and learns.. bike

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Greenbeast

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »

great pics tod

and  good work with the feral Mart.

We should have a navipets thread somewhere i will post pics of our pack(s)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: