navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home and insulation  (Read 10255 times)
M

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 08:22:50 AM »

Well, what can I say. 3 days ago we caught a tiger by the tail. But the tiger has turned into a teddy bear.

Wifey and I have been taking shifts, popping in every hour or so, and talking to him (not easy having a conversation with a cat, only so many times I can repeat the countries of the world song, before we both looked bored).

Last night I started rubbing his cheek, and scratching his ear, and he flopped on his side. Got Wifey out of bed to see him responding, and to our surprise he finally came out of the box that he'd been refusing to leave - the same box we fought tooth and claw to get him into - (that Alanis dear, is what irony is, not overbuying spoons when you need a knife!).

So he popped out, let me fuss him, and popped back in quick, rinse and repeat about 3 times. This morning I tried again, and out he came

Managed to get a video of him giving me head butts, which I'll try to upload to dropbox.

So far, one of the sweetest and gentlest cats I've met. There's no way this fellah is a full blown feral, I suspect something happened to him and he ended up on the streets.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Greenbeast

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 09:01:06 AM »

That is brilliant Mart, nice one

Our own diabetic rehoming looks like he'll be a bit of a force to be reckoned with when we get some weight back on him
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 10:07:11 AM »

That is a horrible story Mart,
                  I am getting hot flushes with jealououous rage,
          Yesterday evening,I went into one of the stores to measure up sheets of box profile for the new array. So I am deep in though but dragging and lifting these sheets,making a racket,
          Suddenly out of the corner of my eye,I noted an orange flash,leaping off one of the shelves,It dropped down and made straight to go out door,heading right between my legs. I am after
          male,and dropped the sheet that I was holding onto the floor.The moggie crashed head on into the sheet,turned around and went back up onto the shelves out of sight..
           So I spent the following 10 minutes offering humble apologies and recovering from an almost heart attack.
           Moggie was fine and stalked me down the garden afterwards. Sadly our blackbirds are all getting killed however I don,t think it is the cats,because what ever it is dismembers
           the birds on the spot,Leaving meat on the upper legs etc.We have a visitor/s who shadows Diese and Nat during last walks. I think our mink are back.They play like wild kittens,
           pulling up stones and rolling them around.
           Sad news on our Bat front.Yesterday evening while putting the tools away,I noticed a small dark form on one of the internal mixing pedals of the mixer. I was a tiny bat who had
           mistakenly flown into the mixer,confused by the acoustics and fell into the water in the bottom of the drum,He managed to reach the pedal and drag himself out,clear of the water
          but I think the cold killed him. He was well and truly dead. These are tiny amazing creatures of incredible ability. This is a disaster because I really like these little guys.
                                                                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »

Hope this works, and apologies for the stupid 'baby voice' and daft dialogue, but I was trying to keep talking (and softly) as it seems to boost his confidence (makes a change, most humans run away when I start talking).

Oh, and it seems to start with a still of his ar5e, that's not deliberate:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53852f1ad5rxahc/MVI_1577.AVI

Plan has now changed again, he's so good we'll try to keep him in for a couple of weeks and see if he wants to join our little clowder.

Mart.

clockmanFR

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2014, 11:08:08 AM »

Lovely, but not sure who is the softest.    hysteria  hysteria  hysteria   hysteria

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Quakered

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »

Bloody marvelous story Mart and checking up on Flash's progress is becoming part of my morning routine. I am not sure if this change of attitude towards you both is because he understands that you are the folks who have fixed what must have been a very painful injury or just down to the removal of his wedding tackle.

If the collective view is the change is due to the later, should we have a whip around to have a similar operation on Martin in the hope that it will also make him a bit more cuddly?

Patrick

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford

3.2kw PV and Tesla Powerwall
Jaguar I Pace
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »

hysteria hysteria hysteria

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Greenbeast

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:38 AM »

ha ha ha
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »

Great story Mart, seems you have gained a new lodger.
Like Quakered became fixed for my daily update on Flash's progress!
What has become of that wildcat. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
skyewright

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 04:07:03 PM »

Plan has now changed again, he's so good we'll try to keep him in for a couple of weeks and see if he wants to join our little clowder.
You're doing a fantastic job there. Well done.
Like you say, the way he's responded so quickly strongly suggests that he's a pet who's fallen on hard times rather than a lifetime feral. The fact that he came back in so quickly after the dramatic exit must mean that he has a deep seated idea that humans are (or at least can be) okay.

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
M

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »

You're doing a fantastic job there. Well done.
Like you say, the way he's responded so quickly strongly suggests that he's a pet who's fallen on hard times rather than a lifetime feral. The fact that he came back in so quickly after the dramatic exit must mean that he has a deep seated idea that humans are (or at least can be) okay.

Hiya guys, thanks for the comments. And yep skyewright that's my guess too. Each visit now quickly results in him popping out of his box (with frequent checks that it's still there (walk in, turn round, walk straight back out)) followed by loads of head butts and head rubs. We've got a couple of head-butt cats, but this guy could probably break a nose if he gets any more enthusiastic.

He also seems desperate to cuddle up, he keeps walking up to me, flopping down next to me for 2 seconds, then back up and into box, then rinse and repeat. I suspect he's a cuddler if he can build up more confidence.

Last night we heard a scuffle on the stairs, and Wifey went to investigate. She assumed Mickey (a neighbours cat) had popped in, which he does most days, and Mo our smallest and stroppiest cat, had decided to chase him off. Instead she found a sodden and terrified young ginger cat stuck in the living room. No idea who he was, and Hobbes (fat ginga) our 'gate-keeper' was simply ignoring him, so he must have been friendly. She opened the front door and he shot out. No more please, with Mickey, and my neighbours 3 cats (they are on holiday) I was feeding 8 cats yesterday ...... any more and I'll be appearing on one of those Channel 4 documentaries.

Mart.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »

These cats might be a lot more clever than you think mart,
                                 They might be piling into your house for protection.I kid you not. Many years ago when I was starting off in the building,I used to come back to my room,have a rest then go to this local takeaway and buy the same house special every evening.I would eat the house special immediately and then begin work on a job of my own until 9pm.
       The takeaway meals were great value and I could not even buy the gear to cook a meal for the price they were selling the cooked meal to me for.So I finished my own evening job and moved out of digs and into my newly refurbished house.I was pleased with it and my working hours were back to normal(for a while)
    So I am sitting reading the local newspaper and the headline reads. "HEALTH WORKERS AND POLICE FIND ALSATIONS DOGS HANGING IN FREEZER" and there on the front page was a pic of my favourite local takeway and a picture of a very unhappy J,the owner.They closed the place down but it was open again 6 months later under new management.I would say that business was tough Grin .
  For ages there had been jokes going about as to why all the cats and dogs in the neighbourhood were disappearing. Suddenly it was not a joke any more. It was a reality.
           So Mart, Maybe your feline friends are trying to confide in you and give you some hints about making sure to "cook your own and eat at home" and trusting you to cook for them not cook them.
                                                                                                 Biff

M

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »

Hiya Biff, you've reminded me of a joke notice Wifey and I put up in our house about 13 years ago. We'd just caught Mo the feral kitten (6 to 8 weeks old) and he was living in the front room, gaining his confidence. We had a group of friends coming round for a 'games night'. We used to order junk food and play on the Nintendo, silly board games etc.

Mo was and is a very nervous cat, so we didn't want anyone going in the room and scaring him, so Wifey printed off a notice in large type and stuck it to the door:-

"NO ENTRY - MAN EATING PUSSY INSIDE"

Well, we thought it was funny!

Right, time for a News Flash, I mean Flash News.

Been going well, only needs a little encouragement to come out of his safety box and exchange head-butts. This morning we were woken by scratching, around 4.30am. Then we heard some pathetic meowing, so up we get to investigate. For the first time, he's ready at the door, I thought he was going to nip out, so I grabbed him, took him back in, and he went head-butt crazy with me and Wifey. We gave him lots of fuss, then some food, and we went back to bed. Tired.

Mo arrived immediately, he knows something is up, so is a bit upset. he needs lots of reassurance, hopped on the bed, and cuddled under my chin, banging the back of his head against my face, making sure we still love him. Then after 5mins he suddenly 'Meerkat's'. Before running out the door. Then we hear Flash crying at his door. So ...... being the 'ard Kardiff Lad' that I am, I grab a dressing gown, pillow and a copy of New Scientist.

He meets me at the door again and goes butt crazy. I lay down, and he starts PUFing (made up term, Pop Up Flops) he flops next to me, then 1 or 2 seconds later pops up, circles then PUFs again. Finally he wandered off behind me, so I lay quietly reading, then felt him against the back of my legs/knees. He'd settled there, and stayed for about 30 mins, before re-appearing, couple of PUFs, then into his box for a sleep. So it seems he doesn't just tolerate us, but actually wants some interaction.

Time is now 6am, which is food and insulin time for the boys, so I feed them, crash back into bed at 6.10am hoping for a quick snooze. 6.15am Mo arrives back, and unusually for him, scratches his way under the duvet, so he can squeeze right up against my face, and attempt to suffocate me by squashing my nose with the back of his head. He's obviously wired, as just as I start to fall asleep about 7(ish) I must have moved, he bounces up, flips in mid air, lands on the bedside cabinet, facing towards me, knocks the lamp over, then runs in self induced panic across me, Wifey and out the door.

I decide to call it a bust, and get up.

Thank goodness the neighbours got home from their hols in the middle of the night, that's 3 less cats (and heart tablet stuffed prawns) to worry about.

Hopefully I'll catch up on some sleep about 10 laps into the grand prix, at least that's what usually happens.

Mart.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

Sleep well!!! hysteria hysteria hysteria

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

I was getting a bit worried there Mart,
                                    For a moment I thought your new cat was going to turn into some kind of Succubus and take over your life. It is well documented that Succubi often take the male feline form to investigate new victims and then return as beautiful erotic temptress,s when you start calling them into the house at night.You must not invite it back(so they say)
   I would be rather careful about a repeat performance,The succubus might catch you off guard and render you powerless to defend yourself.They say it is highly addictive but also a rather exciting way to die.
    Biff

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: