navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home and insulation  (Read 9977 times)
M

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 07:21:53 AM »

Hi skyewright, you sound as daft as me!
I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks.  Grin

Hiya skyewright, definitely a compliment. Maybe it's a 'Welsh' thing, but also meant with a little affection:- "you're daft with that [cat/dog/horse etc]".

Quick update, may have to rename Flash (gone in a ..) as he no longer makes a dash for the catflap the moment he sees me. Though 'dash' and 'flash' were always relative terms as he's roughly the same size as the catflap. Yesterday morning I went to walk into the conservatory but he was already in there (first time in daylight), he braced to run, but I blinked at him, he blinked back (rinse and repeat a few times) then he settled back down as I backed away from the inner door. Perhaps his new name could be Jeff as in G.I.A.F? Any suggestions (polite ones)?

Quick snap of him (note Agent 1BDi keeping an eye on him):

and even 'fat ginga' who owns the garden doesn't seem at all bothered by him:

I believe my work is done. Next project, pics of the next clutch of signets, probably 6 weeks from now.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »

Bravo Mart,
Looking forward to signet pics.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 09:42:59 AM »

Good morning Mart,
                   The cat looking in the window, looks a bit peeved.It is like he is trying to say,"That is my seat you big bully and when Masta Mart comes along you will have to hoof it"  Then you come along Mart,Take the pic and the poor guy is heartbroken that you did not give a good hard boot,up the rump, to the moggy on the couch as he went through the catflap...The problem with a Tom like that,is that they have to pee everywhere to mark their patch but maybe you have some way of preventing that,
         Great pics
                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »

Thanks Tod. Signets usually arrive during the 2nd week of May. One of last years is still at the lake, but hiding in a small secluded pond round the back. Can't be long before the boss finds him/her and drives it off.  Sad

Hiya Biff. There is a way of stopping/reducing the spraying, but it does involve gaining the cat's trust, before a visit to the vets, and the subsequent loss of trust and a couple of other things too.  Shocked

Calvin (Agent 1BDi) happily walks through the conservatory when Flash is in residence, and we didn't start giving him food till we saw he was submissive to our little clowder. He definitely doesn't have a home now, but I wonder if he did in the past. He seems too big to be full feral and submissive at the same time, and despite a fluffy face, I'm pretty certain he hasn't grown a mane, so never became dominant. As he still sprays I assume he's 'intact' so a bit of a contradiction.

BTW, now officially bilingual (no, not Welsh, can't understand it, it's all Greek to me) having met a guy with a Staffie and a Beagle now several times in the park, I've learnt Beagle howl "RRrrWWhooWWhooWWhooo" and can now instigate a conversation. Yep, I'm as daft as a brush!

Mart.

M

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »

Ok boys and gals, you're best wishes, and fingers crossed are now needed.

We currently have a Flash-in-the-box.

Didn't want to do this, but he turned up about 10 days ago with a nasty scab on his cheek, and each day it scabs over, but also has a fresh puss circle about 2mm all round. Today it's about 30mm and still weeping, and co-incidentally he came into the conservatory, too hungry to wait for me to open the back door to feed him.

Wifey and I decided we couldn't leave it any longer as it's getting worse fast and smells horrible. So I locked the cat flap and grabbed him. I'm a reasonably competent cat-wrangler but after 3 or 4 scrambles and fights for the cat-flap, he grabbed hold of it, then ripped the inside off, before bracing himself and smashing the clear door into two parts, that landed some way down the garden.

Bit upsetting, but on opening the back door, and being patient, he actually came back for more food. This time I went for it, Wifey jumped in with a towel, and we shoved him into our larger, stronger cat carrier. He proceeded to bash his way out and head for freedom.

Freedom (daylight) was between my legs (so to speak) as I was kneeling in front of the back door, he got stuck, I told Wifey things were about to get a lot more painful but luckily he didn't use his teeth or front claws at any point. So Wifey closed the back door, and we wrestled him into the box. I then laid over it whilst she got rope and a towel, and we now have a cat / catbox / towel / rope parcel for the vet to unwrap - should they choose to accept this mission.

Vets opens at 8.30. Fingers crossed, but I have my doubts, wound is too big, growing too fast, and smells terrible. Assuming we get there in one piece, I'm not sure what they'll suggest, but couldn't leave him to get any worse, and possibly disappear and deteriorate.

Pics of cat flap (remains) to follow, and maybe some of the dozen or so, back leg claw cuts he got in, whilst panicking.

Here's hoping. Update to follow.

Mart.

M

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »

Update. Flash is now at the vets. Vet sounded optimistic about the sore/abscess. My fear was that he would take one sniff of the awful stench and say, no hope. But that wasn't the case, so Flash is down for a clean-up, a check over and (he'll wish he never popped over this morning) a castration! Vet says he has a thing for feral cats, as they are so different. He may turn into a big kitten after the snip. Big strong, frightened kitten with 5 sharp ends!

Very good chance that if he's ok, and cost us a fortune, he'll never come round the house again, but thems the breaks.

Ready for a laugh, here are some pics:

The result of attempt 1 (after locking the catflap)

The results of attempt 2;
some of the minor injuries, all back leg kicks, no bites or swipes, pretty light considering

Flash-in-a-box, looks like overkill, but he was able to pop or buckle most of the clips immediately, so rope was needed. The trip to the vets also included a bungee cord attached to both sides of the front gate and wrapped round the back - we didn't want a loose Flash in the car. Vet laughed, but was mildly impressed

Off to finish decorating our ickle bedroom, about 1 hrs worth of work left, then clean away tools. Maybe, just maybe, if he makes it, we might try to house him for a week, assuming he doesn't try to fight his way free.

I really must learn to ignore animals in need, or get a bigger house.

Mart.

clockmanFR

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »

Welcome to wild cat land.  sh*tfan

yep, we have 2 wild r.uggers, I can not do anything with, except feed them.  tomatosplat

"Just pop a pill into the kitties mouth", yea right, on your bike. faint

Swarfega M, all my kitties love it, Not. It goes in their fighting wounds and in mine. Just a shame Swarfega did not work on Sheep to make them look after their lambs.  facepalm

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Greenbeast

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »

ha ha, i used to have a domestic cat that would pop those cat boxes open like it was nothing too!
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »

Love it.
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Flash's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day.

M

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »

The bill is going up, ker-ching. Vet rang to say face is fixed and 'bits' are gone. I did ask him to check his teeth (Flash's not the Vet's!) as I'd noticed he seemed to struggle some times. Turns out he's got a couple of broken teeth, and some bad gums, ker-ching.

Oh well, it's only money ......

I mentioned that we had to mug him, against our better judgement, as his face was looking pretty horrific, the vet said it'll look even more horrific now, as the wound will be left open .... lovely!

He'll get long lasting antibiotics injected under the skin, so we don't have to keep him in, if he goes nuts (no pun intended) and decides to fight his way to freedom. But we'll give it a go locking him in, but I'm not confident. Vet said he'll become much more friendly in 2 to 3 weeks when the hormones change (again, Flash, not the Vet). So, assuming he doesn't hold a grudge, and decides to visit again - on the basis that he doesn't have much (more) to lose - then he may patrol less, and settle with/near us a bit more.

Bringing him home should be fun, "we're gonna need a stronger box", he's the wrong side of 7kg. Or perhaps a whip and a chair, but that'll probably distract Wifey from the driving.

Mart.

Greenbeast

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »

The bill is going up, ker-ching. Vet rang to say face is fixed and 'bits' are gone. I did ask him to check his teeth (Flash's not the Vet's!) as I'd noticed he seemed to struggle some times. Turns out he's got a couple of broken teeth, and some bad gums, ker-ching.

Oh well, it's only money ......

I mentioned that we had to mug him, against our better judgement, as his face was looking pretty horrific, the vet said it'll look even more horrific now, as the wound will be left open .... lovely!

He'll get long lasting antibiotics injected under the skin, so we don't have to keep him in, if he goes nuts (no pun intended) and decides to fight his way to freedom. But we'll give it a go locking him in, but I'm not confident. Vet said he'll become much more friendly in 2 to 3 weeks when the hormones change (again, Flash, not the Vet). So, assuming he doesn't hold a grudge, and decides to visit again - on the basis that he doesn't have much (more) to lose - then he may patrol less, and settle with/near us a bit more.

Bringing him home should be fun, "we're gonna need a stronger box", he's the wrong side of 7kg. Or perhaps a whip and a chair, but that'll probably distract Wifey from the driving.

Mart.

hehe, many chuckles over here. good luck taming the beast
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »

Mart
 If I was a stray I couldn't wish to fetch up at a better place than yours.
Would need to keep an eye on my bits though!!! Grin

M

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »

Mart
 If I was a stray I couldn't wish to fetch up at a better place than yours.
Would need to keep an eye on my bits though!!! Grin

Tod, you are welcome anytime. And don't worry about your bits, we'll pop the jar on the mantlepiece where we can all keep a careful eye on em.

Right, update, Flash is home, we got him late afternoon. We arrived at the vets and I was chatting to a woman and her daughter whilst Wifey paid (180, not too bad, and it included a bottle of insulin for Hobbes). The ladies had a mesh carrier with a 9 month old queen in it, I said hello, and she gave me a good hissy spit. The couple apologised and warned that she was a bit of a handful. At that exact moment, and with perfect comic timing, Natalie the veterinary nurse handed Flash and box over the counter, still towel wrapped and with rope all over it, prompting mother to ask 'what the hell is in there?'.  hysteria

To be fair, Flash was hiding at the back. Natalie said he looked grumpy, but I think the face was actually saying - "I turned up, waited patiently for some food, I strolled in when you called me, and you jumped on me, I ran through the moveable window, that stopped moving, then you called me back, and two of you jumped me, shoved me in a box and took me somewhere. Now I wake up, my face is sore, my mouth is sore, and something feels distinctly different at the other end ..... I dare to think ..... so how, exactly, can this day get any worse?"

The trip back was quiet, Flash decided it was best to just stay in his box, so we decided to leave him, and will check on him a bit later when he's feeling better - that'll be fun!

Natalie was telling us that she simply couldn't believe how bad the smell was from his face, so we probably did the right thing. She asked if we could bring him back in 3 days for a check up, we made a counter-offer of e-mailing a photo, I think we'll need more than 3 days to recover from today's feral (semi-feral) cat boxing exercise, and I suspect Flash would agree too.  surrender

Mart.

clockmanFR

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »

Lovely Story.

Bravo M and Mrs M.

Smiley

Mind you for 180 I would expect Natalie to deliver my night time coco in person and tuck me up!.  genuflect
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:31:29 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »

Great news Mart and Mrs M.
Please accept the Tod the Dog, 'Legion d' Dogeur' for exceptional services to animals.
You are only the second recipients, Tod awarded himself the medal for saving one our cats from the neighbours dog.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: