navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 53   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 151281 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »

A strange situation has resolved itself.
A few weeks back as posted here we had a problem with flies.
Patience exhausted, final resort a fly swat. Pretty effective but a bit irritating.

Side effect Elliott the border collie terrified. The noise, me wacking the table top, who can say.

I should make it clear non of our dogs are ever hit.

Elliott had a big problem with the van. facepalm
Van = Walk
Walk = Lots of fun
Lots of fun = Lots of excited barking.
See a cyclist =  Lots of excited barking.
Up to the hills, great walk= Lots of excited barking.
Road to Huelgoat favourite walk =Lots of excited barking.
Wild beach absolute favourite walk = Lots of excited barking.

Nothing we tried could stop this

Yelling = Lots of excited barking.
Silently ignoring him = Lots of excited barking.
etc etc.

Whilst I was in the UK, Mrs T took the fly swat into the van and just laid it on the dashboard.
No swishing or thwack at imaginary flies. It just lay on the dashboard.

Complete silence in the back.
Oh boy.
Still huge excitement to go out but now he settles down with the other two in silence.

I think somehow the circle has been broken, fingers firmly crossed that it stays that way

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2015, 11:00:46 AM »

hysteria hysteria hysteria,
                         Barbara Woodhouse would say, "JOLLY WELL DONE"
                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »

, Little Kit their kid, hanging on to Xena,s tail and gettng slowly dragged over the stones

The rescue gals with old 4 legged Biff after Xena passed on. They were very respectful to him and made his last few years a genuine pleasure, Roxi in the middle ended tragically but old Nat rose to the top.

10 years previously Above Glencoe in Scotland. He was a great traveller and always on the ball. A regular on the ferries. 48kgs was his best weight. Very much admired and discussed by the different security companies. Very cool with a good sense of humour.
                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2015, 09:16:06 PM »

Our feline livestock have increased overnight,
                                        Thomas Toto has rejoined his mam at the nest and things are looking very risky for the new kittens because Thomas Toto is drinking all the milk and poor Plu is too weak to resist his efforts. That was the situation this morning around 10am. I had noticed that Tom was missing from his usual haunt and did not answer my calls last night. Suddenly he was missing and unwilling to answer. So I decided to check in the green store which has been trashed a few times by fighting tomcats and there sitting on a shelf loaded with foamy insulation,was little Tom. Only when he rose up did I realise that he had been lying directly on top of his poor mam . But it got worse. She was too weak to resist as he pushed the only kitten that I could see to the one side and helped himself. So he got to drink the best milk, the one that starts the babies off in life and develops their immune system properly, In cattle we would call it " Beastins".
 Frankly,,I was appalled he was charging around like a bull in a China shop and it did not look good for any kitten or the mother who was exhausted. The situation was unchanged about dinnertime, But around 6ish, she had woken up and was again dictating things. Tom was feeling very pleased with himself but I got a feeling that it will be a very short lived feeling. He was not hungry and refused the food that I offered him. I am not so sure how these things work but I now have a strong suspicion that I should not have interfered at all and not fed Tom.  I was quite convinced he would have died, especially with all the aggression being directed toward him by his mother and he was howling with the hunger.
  You will often hear nice doggie people say " There are no bad dogs,,Just bad owners" , Well I am sorry but I know that to be totally untrue. You do get bad dogs, just like you get bad people. I am beginning to suspect that we might have a bunch of bad cats hysteria. I do not know what to make of it all. I get more response out of one of my wooden logs than do do out of the mother. Maybe this is their normal behaviour. They are supposed to be feral but they are camping out next to the house and surely they must have some communicating skills . Tom was not so bad but I am aware that it is just food dish sweetness. Generally, speaking, all animals must have an inbuilt way of co-operating and helping one another in order to propagate the species successfully. but looking at this lot, I have formed the opinion that they are their own worst enemy. It is very strange.
                                                                                        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2015, 11:40:29 PM »

So I dropped into the green store, after last walks at 11,
                                  To have a peek at the felines. Tom was standing guard and Plu was looking very smug feeding at least 3 kittens that I could see. So all my blethering about Tom robbing the milk,etc,,etc ,were uncalled for, Perhaps this is what he was supposed to do, Perhaps he was supposed to help clean the kittens but tonight, the kittens are thriving and looking good, All black and white like the mom. easy knowing I know nothing about cats.
                                         Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »

Blimey Biff it would take a hard man not to try and help.

I don't think you could just stand by and do nothing.

I think you did just fine.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »

Fear not Tod,
           This morning revealed mom and kittens thriving and little Tom being hand fed, There is recognition in Plu,s eyes, not panic. It would seem that the danger during birth is over. They are more relaxed, Still wary ,but relaxed.In another few weeks she will be taking them down the road to visit the kids who live down there and it will be "kittens in a box, free to good home"  once again after they pick their own one. Grin
               Biff
  nb, Quite a few of these cats belong to 2 or more homes perhaps a mile or more apart and for reasons only they know,they spend their lives moving back and forth between the homes.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »

extrahappy
Great news Biff.  A proud father and all that. Grin

Do you recall Ivan's story(I think) of putting  GPS tracker on this cat and seeing its passage to various stop off homes for tuck.

The first cat here Hiss completely  ferral resisted all attempts at friendliness rarely taking food until she had kittens. Then one day I was just outside sitting when she arrived in front of me with two kittens (spit and agro). I put some food down and straight away she led the kittens to it. That was the start of our domestication, food everyday and gradually she began to trust us, the kittens the same. Eventually she would sit draped on my shoulders whilst I watered the polytunnel.  She had us fully trained.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »

Comfy,? The kittens are underneath the pair.

,  a few seconds later, Tom is out looking for grub, There is a small sightless kitten sitting lying across her left flank. Her eyes say it all. " Dear silly man, Don,t do anything stupid" .
                                                      Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »

The Saga of the feline dynasty drags on,
                               when i went to feed them this morning, both Tom and his Mam were missing, so I took a pic of the kittens

After a few calls, the two of them came hurrying in from the fields and tucked into their breakfast. Plu did not stay around but took off ,leaving Tom to guard the nest, but a quick scout revealed that he was dancing up and down on the kittens and playing rough with them. After working in the garden for a while, I noticed the two of them having a disagreement below the gable of the house and little Tom was getting boxed round the ear but not believing it was happened, kept getting in the way of big haymakers,some with the claws not retracted. Instead of laying low and trying to behave, he began to jump about the place and ran across the street with Plu in hot persuit.
  I just happened to check on the kittens and discovered that they were all gone. While I was looking around in the green store, Plu came in in a very distressed state, she walked right up to me, crying and then jump up next to the nest,crying all the time. Outside Little Tom was doing his best acrobatic feats so far and was the picture of great joy.
  Now I know enough to know that cats move their kittens around all over the place but is Plu that cute that she can tell whopping great lies to put me off the scent ?.
 I have known Byt-ches that have killed pups and small dogs after appearing friendly and placid but the moment people took their eyes of them, they would snap the pups neck or try and kill the small dog. There was no reason for it. There was no remorse and she would hide the pup,s body. Even the pups mother could be totally fooled into believing the killer had nothing to do with it. I was given such a Shepard, It was the only kink in her whole personality and her next owner was made fully aware of her habit. Apart from that terrible trait,she was a first class Shepard and really biddable. Perhaps Cats have the same kind of traits, (Humans certainly have). Looking at Tom and the way he behaved, it would seem he has guilty written all over him but there are no bodies and it all points to Plu telling porkies and hiding the litter well away. So I will go with that one and feed Tom because he is in the doghouse once again. hysteria. If I think about it, She cannot really have tom hanging around the new nest and giving the location away every time she moves house,, So its tough love for little tom once again.
                                                               Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2015, 01:19:20 AM »

The cats have abandoned their nest in the green store,
                                                I sort of knew that they would not be back anytime soon despite the good food. This is nothing new and it has happened a few times before, where they turned up on a neighbours doorstep a few weeks later. The only difference this time is that Tom is in tow.
   Instinct and hormones, drive the whole saga. They are really not in control of the situation at all,They could get such a better life if they studies things a bit closer. Plu,s crying at the empty nest is hard to fathom or credit but she behaved by all accounts like a cat who had her kittens stolen. However, she is nowhere to be seen now and it would be safe to assume that she is now safely tucked up in the new nest somewhere because if she herself had not moved them, she would be hanging around waiting for them to show up or searching the rest of the green store which she did not bother to do.
                   They will be back,maybe in a few months time under their own steam or else in a cardboard box being carried by young girls who will be trying to get them homes Grin. This is their hereditary base or hunting ground, an oasis with bogland all around. They were here long before I ever showed up and will be around long after I am gone.
  Little Tom was just a variation of a theme.Perhaps I was foolish for even getting interested but then,animal behaviour has always interested me.I don,t think I have learned anything. Their is nothing to say that they might handle the exact same situation again in the exact same way. They take the road that takes their fancy. They are independent and wild.
                                                                                             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2015, 11:56:58 PM »

A week has gone by,
                   And little Tom went missing twice for a couple of days at a time. He is now back on good terms with his Mam but still getting those boxs on the ear. Their disappearance seemed to happen when the farmer next door put his cows in the field. Today this was confirmed when the cattle were taken to another farm and within the hour,the cats were hunting birds on our back lawn.
 I went out and called them and Tom moved at lightening speed to get to me, He was starving with the hunger, His Mam was more reserved but still hungry. I gave Tom 5 minutes to stuff his face and then left them both to it. A visit to the green store at dusk, revealed a very tired, exhausted Tom, Plu was nowhere to be seen, so she must still have her kittens hidden away somewhere, She has changed shape and lost all her weight. she will soon be coming into season once again. Hunger is a great communicator and little Tom can certainly communicate now. Grin. b He is a hardy, bold intelligent little thing and has the making of a born winner.
                                                     Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »

An update on Tomi Toto,
                        He is brave and bold and will try anything. His Mam became so jealous of him that I had to hang around when he was being fed. She is very aggressive and will only give way as I am leaving the store, If I lift my boot and nudge her under the chin and then only giving way  a few inches at a time, hissing and spitting.We never did see the kittens again. They could be at someone else,s house or taken in by Pet Rescue. Plu is ready for mating and last night I heard a right racket that I usually say is cats mating, Foxs have a steady yelp but cats have a nastry evil growl.
  So every few days i would visit the green store with Diese and old Nat, they sit at the door and Tom purrs and says hello from 4 ft away,So I thought that after a half dozen such meetings that they would be a kind of used to each other and today as Diese and Nat and I were walking past the green store, I called Tom out. He is good like that and comes when he is called, So Diese and Nat are sitting and watching as Tom comes over and I begin patting him on the head and stroking..Diese reached down to have a sniff and Tom does his meercat thing,stand on his hind legs and gives Diese a few light harmless boxs on the jaw.I stuck my hand down to cover Diese,s eyes just as Nat circled round to cut off Tom,s retreat into the store. She had a malicious old slouch to her and I ordered her away but she was only kidding and then stuck her head in between and give Tom a big slurp on the back of the neck. Poor Diese is slightly offended having taken a couple of boxs on the jaw and not been able to ask why but he was happy enough. It was a good result. Nobody got hurt and the foundation for a friendship has been laid. Tom,seems to be safe enough, I have known cats that would try and scratch the eyes on a dog but Tom is cool and laid back. Earlier on he followed me down to the Shed, I was working on batteries,with a beaker of acid, a hydrometer, and jars of acid on the floor. It became rather unnerving as he was going around pulling at everything that was hanging down. then he tried to jump up on the low bench where I was working on the Batteries and that was it .He had to go. Our last cat, Kit, the one that 4 legged Biff and Xena adopted, was an innocent creature,without malice, She got stuck between 2 worlds and when her kitten were given away, it broke her heart. I never knew that a cat could feel such pain but poor Kit was probably just that bit too innocent. Tom,s attitude is different. he says "Bring it on". I know that Diese is impressed.
  This time I am going to take the green store back, successive generations of tom cats have fought epic battles in that store, suffering serious wounds and I know of one that did not survive, I found his body in the field next door, he was a massive big Garfield type thing. I used to go in there years ago looking for a spanner or such,only to be startled by a commotion coming toward me at head height along the shelves and the ground,I would not dream of going in there if Mrs Hubs was in residence.However, we never have any rats, Grin
  We have slow waddling blackbirds who are just looking to be ambushed at the head of the driveway, they have even returned to the bottom of the garden as well. Plu is looking very posh and sleek,so she must be getting fed elsewhere but maybe not. A mighty ado about nothing. Still, some things about country life are rather pleasant. whistlie
                                                                                             Biff

M

« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2015, 07:48:14 AM »

Cheeky teaser!

Our old boys, Calvin and Hobbes (feline brothers) both passed away this year at 17yrs. So our clowder is now down to two ex-ferals Mo and Flash.

This prompted Wifey and I to investigate something we've been pondering for 10 years on and off.

Following an interview/assessment a month ago, we got a surprise phonecall yesterday which (fingers crossed) will mean things get interesting tomorrow.   fingers crossed!

Update and explanation to follow ..... if everything goes well.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »

Time marched on,
             And we briefly got a glimpse of plu new kitten. Tom,Plu and the kitten were totally unaware that they were being watched and the two adults sat apart from the kitten as it staggered about.
 We glimpsed it twice in that week and it has been at least 2 weeks since we saw it last. So Mrs Biff and I think there is something wrong. It still needs looking after but it is too heavy to move about.
 I am guessing that it is blind and is holed up underneath the middle of the Log stack. That is where Plu emerges from dry and sleepy for her meal.
   Tom leaves the comfort of his own nest and joins them there. He is big now and not quite so friendly. Diese and Nat make him nervous and he remains quite wild for hours after seeing them near his patch. Other times, he will greet me like a long lost friend but you would never know what he is thinking. Diese and Nat were pretty good at making up with him but because of his mood swings they now just ignore him while Tom stalks us along the hedges on our walks. Plu is never far away now and turns up to be fed along with Tom but in different dishes.
  Perhaps their are different grades of feral cats, some not so feral and some feral proper. These ones are feral and try as I might over a decent period of time,I find it virtually impossible to establish some means of communication,apart from food. Indeed, I did have Tom trained to hop onto my arm and go for a walk but that filtered away when his mam moved back with her kitten. I have not given up. This has quite a way to run yet and the kitten could turn up perfectly health today..The sun is out.
   Mrs Biff and I have a good clear view of the wood stack and the Green store from our bedroom windows, so we have a good idea of their coming and goings. They are an interesting lot.
                                                                  Biff

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 53   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: