navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 116915 times)
gravyminer

« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »

for those slightly bigger pets that love getting muddy,  I am slightly embarrassed to admit I have recently completed an outside shower with sloping concrete base, an overhead gantry and hot and cold water options ...........

* DSC_0631.jpg (67 KB, 600x337 - viewed 1241 times.)

* DSC_0675.jpg (38.75 KB, 600x337 - viewed 1306 times.)

gravyminer
gravyminer

« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »

And the indoor facilities for a tired and muddy rider now include a woodburner -

* DSC_0634.jpg (82.97 KB, 600x337 - viewed 1303 times.)

* DSC_0641.jpg (49.79 KB, 600x337 - viewed 1260 times.)

* DSC_0646.jpg (23.03 KB, 600x337 - viewed 1203 times.)

gravyminer
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2015, 09:13:46 AM »

That is very impressive GM,
                   Very well thought out. You like hosses Grin
                            Biff,

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »

The feline saga continues,
                      Little shorty, the all black kitten,never made it back but worse still the long legged all black kitten disappeared last Monday night. I was sure he was a gonner but baffled because he was a very mature and able little fellow, not so keen on me but that is no harm.Then Plu disappeared and missed meals yesterday morning and evening. However,this morning the all black is back in the nest with Tommy and his little sis while Plu camps out under the log stack covers. This was a real surprise because even though they are wild and hardy,the rain and the cold can founder them. This time McCaw made it back and the experience will do him good. He was mad with the hunger and all shyness was dropped as he tucked into the breakfast.
  I can only assume that Plu went off looking for him and luckily found him. I think I have a place for him,a good home for a guy like this who can look after himself on a large farm. His dad is a big skinny guy with very long legs. Almost like as if he was in the advanced stages of tape worm Grin but the movements and the coat condition prove different. He comes from about a mile away as the crow flies where an Englishwoman has a farm that is over run with these kind of cats. It was only when I looked them up in the book that I realised they were a recognised breed, either Cornish Rex or Devon Rex, So MCcaw must be OK,especially when his old man fought half the toms in this parish for the privilege of being his Da, The last time he fought here,he spent a few days in the green store up on the shelf,looking down on me as I fed Tommy. He had a terrible face with one eye closed ,A big gash between them, with pus running out of it. I thought at the time that he was going to die and just left him too it but months later he was back in town for round 10 and Now we have McCaw and Blink. I don,t like the idea of Tommy doing battle but it is not up to me and I am not going to get him doctored. He is going to have to figure out a way of staying in one piece and not get involved in any scraps. It is a tough life for this lot. I am only now beginning to realise just how tough it is.
                                                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
gravyminer

« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »

Love reading your stories about the semi feral tribe biff

Smart, cool animals are to be respected.

Yet we all seem to love the dipstick dog that wouldn't survive a week without human benefactors / minders.

Perhaps they make us feel smart by pretending to be dumb  genuflect

The horse facilities turned out to be a bit grand because we were held up waiting for the bat licence and had the time, permission and resources to relocate an old timber framed building from beside the main barn project.

It got parked on the end of the steel framed aggie building between two big underground dirty water tanks and was an interesting challenge.
The 6 tonne Hitachi was just able to lift the big old roof trusses into place.

Then the fit out just spun out of control and we have main room, shower, toilet, galley kitchen and an upstairs 'store room', all lined with T&G and insulated with earth wool quilt.
The natives are very suspicious of it but its really just the tack room and welfare shed. whistlie
We have had the odd inmate reluctant to leave when it was time though, as the end result is quite magical.

Regarding the horses themselves, they tolerate me but are not ready to nibble my ears or whatever it is horses do to show affection.

gravyminer
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2015, 09:06:47 PM »

More news from the feline front,
                         It seems that I got too friendly with the kittens yesterday and now Plu has once again disappeared and taken them with her.. Tommy is unhappy with this move but hard experience has taught him that Plu,s idea of a holiday could be a permanent big sleep. Yet he is lonely and quite uninterested in his grub.
  He is changed so much these past few months that he is totally unrecognisable as the kitten I found in the hedge down the yard. Their crazy early morning antics,just before dawn are hard to understand. they are not mating or anything like that but they get up to the most energetic dashing about and jumping over one another and as the light get clearer they retreat into the green store to sleep.I have no idea what any of this means but looking at the bigger picture ,the relationship between the cats and I,one can see a certain parallel between the kindly western nations and the African countries or any of the countries that we very helpfull westerners have set up camp in.
  My feline friends were well established here long before I arrived. As time went by, I began to see the signs they left, their scratching posts,their breeding nests and areas,,certain trees with the bark polished jet black like ivory. i was mystified and thought that it was mink but now i know that it was the wax on the coats of many cats down throught the years. This same tree floated on a boggy mat and if you stepped to one side quickly,the whole tree tilted over and then right itself, Who would ever think that cats would live or hang out in such a place but they did. I cut down the tree,drained the area and filled it in with good hardcore, Mrs hubs must have hated me for doing that. It was her area for many years. then I went and trapped her and sent her away to be neutered. She never forgave me and moved permanently 500yards up the road to an industrial site, only returning to visit when her daughters were giving birth.
  Little Kit was the first kitten I found abandoned, soaking wet and shaking to death with the cold, I stuffed her in my coat pocket and continued my walk with the dogs. Kit recovered to be adopted by 4 legged Biff and his mate, Xena. They genuinely like her. The short version was, the call of the wild was too strong,she had kittens and lost them,went downhill,went out on the road and got run over,
  The years went by and Tommy turns up. I doubt if he would have made it,if I had not started feeding him. She wanted him gone, it was very very obvious. Yet by turning up to feed him each day in his hole in the hedge, I attracted Plu,s attention back to Tommy because Tommy was attracting easy picking and decent grub for a nursing mother to be.
   By concentrating on Tommy and ignoring Plu who was all hiss and spit, I forged a relationship of sorts, one based on food. Then the kittens were born and Tommy and I grew quite close because Plu,s new home was top secret after she abandoned the green store because I was paying too much attention to her new family. Plu held to tradition and the old ways and was never going to be tamed. Tommy developed a modern opportunistic outlook on life,Greeted me in public and became responsible for the whole gravy train that fed his family. He was bound to be held in very high regard by the family or they could make use of him but still he was handy to have about. And yet Tommy was breaking down the very tradition that helped these cats survive in the wild for years. He was encouraging them to become dependent on me to feed them all.And because they were Tommy,s kin, I was encourage to feed them.. Plu is the only one with sense and this morning she took her kittens once again and left. There is a certain guile and malice in Plu. She is a most sincere liar and I will never forget the show that she put on for me,the evening I came back and found the new born kittens missing from her nest in the green store, She stood up on the nest in front of me ,keening for her lost kittens and left me fully convinced that her nest was raided by a stray fox or dog. She studied me well. At the moment she is a few moves ahead of me but that can change.
  Mrs Biff enjoys all the news about them. Tommy greets her like a long lost friend but will swiftly disappear if any strangers comes into view. I talk of getting a large cage to put in the lounge downstairs, so that Tommy can spend the harsh freezing nights inside in comfort,He already uses the nest that I built for him and he is smart enough all round. Time will tell.
  We had a real rough storm about 6pm and it was not the kind of night for a cat and her kittens to be rambling abroad. I must be going soft. Mrs Biff is highly amused by it all.
                                                                          Biff

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #186 on: November 14, 2015, 12:38:26 AM »

And that Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I don't have television. Crossroads, coronation street, east enders, emmerdale etc, are all stuff that we see in everyday life. No producer could script this story.
I suspect that Biff is one of the Attenborough clan that we don't know about!   Grin

N2
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:41:52 AM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
gravyminer

« Reply #187 on: November 14, 2015, 12:01:15 PM »

Biff was a very bad cat in a past life and has been given a human body in close proximity to his former clan so he can learn how to be a proper cat.

He appears to be learning some useful lessons  genuflect

gravyminer
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2015, 08:01:06 AM »

They used to serialise Sherlock Holmes in The Strand magazine, every week ending on a cliff hanger.

Now with my first coffee of the day It's Biff's cat adventures with Tom and Plu.
Dangerous exciting and always will he won't he?
 Will Mart arrive by helicopter to share his  cat training expertise!!
Can't wait for the next installment. Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »

The news was good this morning. Plu and company decided that the storms were no fun and returned to base. The green store has seen successive massive battles. I used to try and keep it tidy but the cats had other ideas. For some reason they were very fond of lock shield valves for rads and would upend my plumbing trays,and spill the lot out onto the floor, then separate the shiny chrome valves from the rest, They thrashed the place dozens of times. The only thing that they did not do in there was use the place as a toilet. In that respect they are extremely orderly.

Pensive Tommy, He knows I have the breakfast and is waiting.

McCaw and Blink, Blink must have been injured sometime but is slowly getting better. McCaw is exactly as he looks, very able and can look after himself very well.

Someone has eyes for me. Years ago Mrs Hubs used to wait in ambush at the exact same spot with those exact same eyes. No wonder I avoided the place. It used to really annoy me the way she could put the wind up me. Whatever about Plu, there was absolutely no come and go in Mrs Hubs. She was a superior being and would be very quick to let you know it. The day I managed to trap Mrs Hubs in a cage, I had a big heavy blanket ready to throw over the cage so that she could not get at me through the bars, I poked the blanket down round the side of the cage to my own satisfaction before attempting to lift the cage and carry it away. The moment I stood beside the cage to lift it, Her long front limb came out and slashed across the top of my left boot,leaving deep gouges on the ankle protector. I made a point of showing this to the nice lady who came to collect her but it was like talking to the wall. She was in a different frame of mind when she came back with the neuterd Mrs Hubs, She opened the door of the Land Cruiser and pointed to the cage telling me, "There,s your cat"
  Gone was all the lovey dovey chatter hysteria hysteria. I have no idea how they managed to get a needle in her or sedate her but the same Mrs Hubs would be a proper demon loose inside a surgery.
  Anyhow, they are all back in town and hopefully they will settle down and take it easy.
                                                                                   Biff

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:39:27 AM by biff » Logged

smegal

« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »

Only a few hours old. The towels have been removed.

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2015, 07:14:15 PM »

Double wow!
Both Biff & Smegal
Great pictures chaps Grin

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »

She looks a happy Gal Smegal,
                          Years ago, I bred a certain type of working dog quite successfully. It was a huge responsibility, even back then. I tried my very best to make sure that the pups went to good homes then many years later when 4 legged Biff came along, I had a lot of dog fanciers offering me deals to breed, the normal fee and the pick of the litter but I turned down at least a dozen requests, simply because the Ladies in question were nervous or not put together properly. Then Xena came along. She was a white Shepard,totally unfazable and ex secuirity all the way from Brighton in the UK.
 At the very first meeting between the two, 4 legged Biff lay down at her feet and seemed to go to sleep within a minute of the meeting, The meeting took place in a big lounge kitchen with plenty of room but Biff choose to sleep at her feet. This guy never bowed to any dog our any one in his life before and a lot of the ladies that he met before that day,he just ignored them. So I paid the money there and then  hysteria, even before handling Xena and walking her. Xena became a part of out life and bit by bit I found out her history. At the time, I thought she might have been stolen and was prepared to hold her until the real owners came along but no, everything was above board,the previous owner had an affair with another woman and Xena was given away in an act of spite and revenge. It was betrayal of the highest level. She was the first dog ,especially a Shepard, that I ever bought, that threw in her lot with me completely within 24 hours of coming onboard.+ 4 legged Biff had found a true soul mate who he cherished to the day she died. Normally you will have to give a mature Shepard some 3 to 5 months before they let you inside their head but Xena was the real deal with the strength and confidence to put her trust in us there and then. Within a year ,it was like as if she had always lived with us. Her previous owner came to visit the area a few times, (the wife) and Xena was anything bit friendly. There was great stuff in her. We had little differences as to how things should be done but nothing that could not be worked out,even though she was quite stubborn. I was stubborn also. I often think of her and wished that she could have started off life in our company instead of being bandied about like she was but she never looked back with us. She was the nearest thing to an artic wolf in looks that you would ever see. I remember the times back in my life ,the Dogs are the index,and motors are the cross references. Birthdays,etc. Xena was a good one.
  She and Biff mated, She had a false pregnancy and on the second one,she had to have her pup bed removed. It was a real blow but also a relief in another way because the pups could only go to experienced handlers. Your worst nightmare is some dude who knows it all, turns the dog aggressive and blames the breeding. There are plenty of those.
  Dog breeding has its good points but has serious pitfalls. Most of the breeders that I knew in my time ,went bust. That says it all.
        Good luck.
                                Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2015, 07:47:03 AM »

Good one Biff another great story for my morning coffee. Grin Grin

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2015, 09:45:02 AM »

It has gone very quiet in the green store,
                                     Little Blink has been on his own for a few days now, Or Saturday morning to be precise. That is what it is like. They up and leave when ever it suits them. Tommy, Plu and    Richie McCaw, leaving Blink with a side on vision of the world. What can one say. The green store looks like a bomb hit it and if I can pack Blink comfortably into a corner, I could get it all tidied up and organised properly. Now that would be sure to bring the gang back. I would not have it done a few hours and they would be busy in there wrecking it back to its correct arrangement. They are very fond of rad lockshields and play with the olives for ages,
  If my kids were small, I would explain that they were off on a job somewhere, Maybe a bank or a supermarket full of John West, the best, They would be a feline version of the "Grisom Gang" with Plu being the infamous "Ma Parker" (don,t ask) but Slim (Blink)getting left behind in the green store to recover from a previous shootout.  You all know Slim of  "Ma says ya gotta be nice to me", actually that character does remind me of Blink a lot,,he used to hold his head sideways in an innocent kind of pose but there was nothing innocent about him,especially if you got on the wrong side of him.
  It,s tough being a moggie in this part of the world and nobody makes it tougher than the moggies themselves.
                                                                            Biff

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: