navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 114570 times)
gravyminer

« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »

Fascinating and very entertaining Biff. Thank you.

bit like a reality TV show only eeerrr real

Do the crew fall out among themselves and only stand together when Biff gets involved ?

gravyminer
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »

Hi GM,
      Yes, They do fall out among themselves but the main source of aggression comes from Plu. She is openly jealous of any communications between the Kittens and myself. After a period awol, the Kittens return to their wild state but not Tommy. Tommy will demonstrate his importance by showing how well trained he has me,supplying the grub and chatting him up. After a few days at home the kittens cannot help but be impressed and drop their wild manners and allow themselves to be spoon fed and stroked,,,,,This brings out the devil in Plu, Those burning eyes, really are green and full of spite and malice. She gets herself into such a strop that Tommy will actually chase her out of the green store. He has been strong enough to bully her for the past month or so. Yet he is surprisingly good with the kittens. The problem is,that the whole relationship within the gang changes from week to week and nothing stays the same. I am starting to believe that their whole beings are determined by Hormones / Pheromones and the moon / tides. This is the only thing that makes any kind of sense.
  It is simply crazy to walk away from lovely tasty food, but they do., it is simply crazy to head off before a storm into the undergrowth, knowing fine well that it gets flooded.
 Then they eat like gluttons, like there is no tomorrow. I have wormed them but still they will stuff themselves one moment and refuse to eat the following day.  I do keep an eye out for the Bird catches and no, they are governed by forces that they cannot deny. It is that simple.
  And yet they are brave beyond words, I have watched,from our gable window, Tommy sitting out in the middle of the driveway,apparently world away and a Jack Russel and Collie trotting down our drive towards him, He just sat there serene as the two dogs got to within 20ft, Then I saw that Plu was waiting behind my truck wheel in ambush. The Collie took off like a bat out of hell and the JR was trying to overtake him. Neither Tommy nor Plu moved a muscle as the two dogs tore out the gates and up the road. Obviously they have had some previous experiences, hysteria
  Do I miss them,?  Absolutely,,even Plu, I got into the habit lately of hissing at her before she hisses at me. She looked dumbstruck as if I had done something really vulgar but she backed up and got out of my way all the same. I could translate that look without a bother.. It said.." You know what, your head is crocked Biff"
                                                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2015, 09:42:02 AM »

It is now Tuesday,
                   Blink has been on his own since at least Saturday morning. I am not sure if Blink is a He or a She, Blink is really too small and fragile to upset but I am guessing that she is a female, Grin. I knew Tommy was a male within a few minutes of meeting him, He was macho even when he had nothing to be macho about. So is MCCaw,even though the book says that the chances of him being a male are nil and if he was a male he would be sterile, (the book is able to tell the sexs by the colour) The author obviously never met the English woman,s big black Tom. Grin. You don,t get more male than that character and McCaw is his double.
  I considered going looking for Tommy, The neighbours here are pretty good and helpfull. However, going to someone door and asking did they see a group of feral cats hanging about would be akin to asking did they see any handsome fairies lately. And worse still, The Gang would take exception to my interference in their heists. Oh! and they do pinch a joint now and then and take it back to Base.
 I found it very very odd that their latest kills would already have stuffing and be bound in netting ready for the oven, The last time that happened they were practically exhausted carrying it back to base and I just happened to go out to the logpile and there it was. Plu and Tommy were both getting tucked in but dived for cover the moment I came round the corner. After discussions with Mrs Biff,we decided that we could not be absolutely sure whose joint it was,even though,it was pretty obvious to me that the lady in question who was missing the joint would be pretty annoyed.
  I think the plan is to target a house with a soft inhabitant (like me), Pitch a lone Tommy or a whining Mccaw at the back door and wait until the owners put out some grub. Then Plu could join in and while the house owners are ringing round to see who owns these cats, they feed them well to keep them there until the proper owners arrive to collect them. Their presence is easily explained by the thunder and lightening and the terrible storms we have had lately. They would not know that this gang actually hunt in the middle of a stormy downpour. Then when things start getting too friendly they head back to base.
   Meanwhile, I have Blink to contend with. Her head is much too big for the body and she keeps switching angles to rest her neck muscles, She eats fine and keeps the place clean, so she is not late in that respect but this morning she was shivering with the cold. So Tommy better come back soon or else she is going to grow very very stiff. I have her in a well insulated nest and as long as she keeps eating she will make it but they don,t all have the drive to survive that Tommy had. This is the longest the gang have been away and I just hope that they have,nt all ended up in the pound. That would be a disaster.
               Biff
  It is Blink,s breakfast time. Grin

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Tigger

« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2015, 09:50:09 AM »

It's good to know you're giving Blink all the support you can Biff.  It's natural to help an animal in need of help.  You're sure to be putting a good word in with St Peter for when it's time to find out if you're name is on his list.  I hope he/she makes it through to spring.

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2015, 07:36:43 PM »

Tommy  a week or so before he went walkabout. At least he was in fine fettle for a bit of hardship.
 Blink in happier times,telling me to get lost.

Blink half an hour ago,settling down for the night and wants her Mam and Tommy. I have been allergic to cats fir, especially kittens fur all my life and would have considered taking her inside in a cage but she is much more stable and attached to the Green store.
This is their kind of terrain, acres of bogland and little oasis dotted here and there. A thousands cats could disappear into the ground around here and you would not even notice them. This is the kind of tree that I have often described before. The roots are in the boggy peat which floats on a layer of water when it rains for a few weeks at a time,the water level rises and the whole tree floats, Then the wind gets up and the long branches act like sails and pull them selves over,,especially in the summer when they are covered in leaves. Eventually this lot will fall flat,rot and new growth will spring up again, taking another 20 to 30 years to go through the whole cycle again.
                                                                                             Biff
   Not too far from here, there is a good half acre of trees just like that one, they would be quite tall say a good 30ft. Grass grows around the bases but when the wind blows the whole lot start to bend this way and that way, you could almost imagine that they were about to get up and start walking across the bog.My son and I went in there one day with a 10ft steel sounding rod, There was about 2 ft of soil and peat before the rod dropped down through the water onto a hard smooth rock no more than 4 to 5 ft below the top surface.The water could not get away quick enough, so the whole lot just floated on top. It is a little unnerving initially but once you get the hang of it it is fine.You just don,t stand too long in the once spot. Grin
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:53:07 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »

Another 5 days have gone by and Tommy and Mccaw are still AWOL,
                                                    I rise early before the light, Our bedroom window looks down on the entrance to the green store. I organised it that way ,years ago just to be able to keep a wary eye on things but now it just reveals the antics of the feline clan who moved into it years ago. A few morning ago revealed Plu stealing in like a thief in the night. She may have been checking on Blink after all or she may have been snacking on Blink,s good supply of nosh. So I decided to remain with blink while she finished her meals, some 10 minutes,which revealed that she is quite grateful for the attention and well able to demonstrate her thanks.Then I remove the leftovers. So Blink has got quite tame and is now a far cry from the mini Tasmanian Devil that jumped to challenge me from the store shelf. She is also very vocal. Maybe the ladies are all that way inclined. Plu sure is and can spit and hiss for no reason other than she could see me .
  My past experiences with the likes of Plu has taught me that when Blink is ready to travel, She will steal her away like she did the other two. She needs the green store for her next brood. Stealing Blink away would seem a kind of difficult or a bit daft but not when you have watched this crowd like I have down through the years. She will offer Blink her milk and her pheromones will do the rest.  They have their set plan and methods and there is only one thing that will prevent them from succeeding and that is to pull the plug before she does. I think I know where she has left Tommy and MCCaw. I might be able to get Tommy back but McCaw will be totally wild by now. Mrs Biff and I are planning to house Blink in a cage in the downstairs lounge overnight. It should not be too difficult but she will also get the chance to meet and get along with Diese and Nat from behind the security of the large cage. She will get her meals at the same time so it should go OK. Blink seems to want to get along and has the right amount of curiosity to figure thing out.I don,t think she would take the eye out of Diese or Nat and she does not have these highs and lows like Tommy has. Perhaps Tommy would have leveled out over time but it is doubtful. I would not have a problem with him in the least because I could tell when he was in a strop and leave him alone + when he would be somewhat aggressive,I could tell him off and he would listen but I would not let my Grandkids near him, he never did make it up with Diese and Nat ,he was too keen to dominate and the hounds found this quite amusing and that is where the damage could be done. Progress was slow if not impossible and I would never risk their eyes. Yet there could have been an understanding based on mutual respect, where they nod to one another and leave each other alone,which is how it was before Plu pulled that stroke.
   I remember back many years ago,the difficulty I had in trapping Mr Hubs. She knew exactly how the trap worked and robbed it at least 6 times. It was only the cries of her kittens,trying to free the bait inside a strong plastic cover inside the trap that made her decide to risk it in the end, So She went into the trap trying to hold the door open with her rear end,while at the same time ripping an tearing that the plastic to free the bait,The kittens scarpered and the door came down with a bang giving her a belt up the rear. She was absolutely livid with rage. I threw an old padded quilt over the cage and carried it inside the green store, Somehow,she managed to raise the heavy quilt and reach out, slashing the ankle protectors on my boots, leaving deep gouges with her nails. She never forgave me, Neither will Plu.
                  Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2015, 08:03:09 AM »

Coffee this morning returned to normal !!! Great tale or (tails)  well told Biff. Fabulous.  Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »

I visit the green store on a regular basis,
                             Blink likes routine, If I am a bit late,she will sit out at the front of the store and give me a great greeting, allowing me to scoop her up with one hand and carry her into her shelf for her meal. She will take a bite, leave it, hop onto my arms, make her strange Honda 50 music and then hop back to her dish. The storms don,t seem to bother her in the least and she will go out in the worst of weather to do her toilet.She is thriving,getting stronger (and longer) by the day. She is into my old plumbing gear and I can find almost anything on the floor with each visit.
  I have been very busy lately, testing a project but I do try and make time for her, In fact she is something to look forward to.
                                                                                    Biff

M

« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »

Ok, I love dogs, get multiple fusses every day from various breeds when out for my morning constitutional. But nobody told me how fast Lab/Retrievers grow. 'Little' Fifi arrived at 11 weeks, and was the size of Flash cat, and 6.5kg. Now she's 19 weeks, nearly 15kg, and sticking her nose onto worktops (standing up on back legs). She's also very social, almost too much. yesterday we took her to Morrison's for a lesson in lifts, and to watch people appear/disappear at the top of their escalators. She tried to feign disinterest, but every time a child came into view her tail went berserk, and a treat had to be held firmly to the tip of her nose.

Quick question, what do you get if you mix the following three:
 - 2 largely white cats that sleep on the bed
 - 1 new duvet cover mostly dark blue
 - a lot of wet weather (and wet paws and fur)

Shame the camera can't pick it up properly, but reminds me of the 80/90's and all the elderly ladies with blue rinses.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »

This is our cat   Luna  , very funny cat , grew uo with my  son

* IMG_0405.jpg (447.14 KB, 1063x2552 - viewed 404 times.)

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »

The days slip and slide toward Christmas,
                                    Everyone is looking for holly with berries. We have loads of it and give it freely. There have been that many storms and gales that no sooner are we out of one than we are into another. Diese and Nat have nice shiney coats. They have been well washed with the recent deluges and they seem to not mind in the least but they dodge the mucky holes thankfully.
 On our return journey last night, Just a few yards from the front door, Diese pointed out Blink  and there she was in the middle of the front street ,bold as brass. She is expanding her explorations and seems to trust me a lot. So I picked her up, Left the hounds in the porch and carried Blink up to see Mrs Biff. The brightness of the living room light startled her,then no sooner was i sitting down than that "Wild" program came on the flatscreen with a selection of different animals,wolves, tigers,bears and it was all too much for Blink. She leapt out of my arms and dashed onto the snack kitchen, leapt onto the hob and tried to exit through the closed veux. A few quiet words calmed her down and I returned to my armchair. It is going to be some gas watching this lot when Diese barks at the telly and Blink jumps 3 ft in the air. hysteria but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. She had a pleasant 15 minutes and then it was time to feed her in the green store and leave her for the night. Old Plu is slinking about. She is lame on one back leg but not too bad. She is all for the hard road.
                                                                               Biff
 NB, I am being constantly amazed by the sheer intelligence of these cats. I remember we had cats about the place when I was a kid but they were never clever, in fact they were down right dumb but this lot are really clever. You can see them souse things out as they take everything in and process it.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #206 on: December 10, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »

So each day,
           Blink gets her 15 min visit to our living quarters on my arm, She gets time to settle and her little heart slow down and tick over. The hounds drift off to sleep and she studies everything around.
 However, last night the storm was raging outside and she had not had her visit, I went and called her and took her inside after we walked a few hundred yards around the yard with the wind going mad. Then I picked her up and we went inside. The hounds barely stirred and Mrs Biff gave her a quiet welcome but Blink could not settle, She grew tense and agitated ,so after a short while I put her down outside. Don,t worry, you will never have a problem knowing when a cat is tense and agitated. We walked to the green store and I left her with a little to eat.
 She is getting big , big and wirey and deceptively strong
  This morning,s greetings were extra demonstrative, She normally parks herself at my feet and waits for me to pick her up but this morning she threw herself over on her back into a puddle of water and wriggled there upside down waiting ,It was like picking up a wet sponge,I was even tempted to giver her a squeeze and a shake,but instead a quick wipe and good breakfast was the order of the day.
 She will have very little choice from now on but to tag along with Diese and Nat on their walks. She stalks us already and waits for a suitable place to appear for me to lift her up. Diese is getting the hang of it,like I knew he would but old Nat is pretending to be not interested. All is good.
                                                                                      Biff
  NB, Absolutely, no sign of McCaw or Tommy, Yet Plu shows herself from time to time at a distance. It is as if,she knows, she did wrong.

Tigger

« Reply #207 on: December 10, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »

Biff, thanks for the update on little Blink, good to know she's getting you and Mrs Biff nicely trained. 

It's good to know she's doing well and being cared for.

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »

Take that,!   (nails retracted)

So you want more, ?

Arghhhh,!

She kept Diese entertained for a solid 20 minutes.  In the last picture,She was up on top of the cardboard box belting the ball, (hanging from the top of the cage) back and forth, The box flew out from underneath her and she landed on her back between the cage and the box, Diese,s expression says it all.
                                        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »

There is a storm howling outside,
                                Blink kicked up a stink and insisted on being let outside. Each time she is released at the front door she takes off running,jumping for joy. Tonight was nasty and she just meltred into the wet darkness, A couple of hours earlier,she followed us in the front door and I had to push her back out again in order to get peace to dry down the dogs. The rain was pelting down and a good force 8 giving it,s all. After the dry down, I opened the door and called her name, In she came seemingly wetter than the hounds, A few kitchen tissues later and she was looking remarkably dry and spruce. Into the cage she went and got tucked into chicken and good sized bones which she eats like a crunchie bar.
 Diese came up and plopped himself down beside her cage and after 20 minutes or so,she was allowed out and round the room. It is a kind of hectic acting referee with only Deise listening to me but somehow order prevails but not before Diese has had a good exercise round the room.She shows him all her tricks, all her moves including her battle mode,arched back and sideways rush. In the beginning he was baffled proper but now he knows that those nails don,t lock on so he is happy and game for a game, But it is kind of difficult to accommodate a 75kg ballet dancer in a room 16ft x 15ft. She was quite returning to her cage and Diese lay down beside her on the other side while she drank gravey juice and studied in silence.
  Every day is a new day for her. She is growing very fast. Her worming dosing which finished on Monday left her weak and starving but she was packing the grub away by Tuesday morning. I kept her confined on Monday and got the last of her stools to check for worm. It was fine,so a good groom and loads of good grub is making her grow like a weed.Walks are fine but the hounds, in particular Diese find it difficult to concentrate on the job in hand while she is about and hopefully they will get used to her while they do their toilet. I pick her up for the duration.
  I tried  a tray of sand in her cage but Today changed it for a proper Aldi crumble cat litter which she used. I did not do it deep enough and she ended up trying to pile the lot on top,then still making the same sweeping motions,outside the litter tray and  all around the cage but not making contact with the ground. I found that quite strange. It means that the habit is inbuilt and that she is  not quite in control of it but as she gets older,she will perfect it. For such a small animal,her jaws are extremely powerfull and Diese studied her as she worked her way through the crunchies. I could tell that he was impressed. She is having a positive effect on Diese, poor old Nat just wants to be left alone and having this little dynamo tickling her toes while she is trying to snooze is rather trying,especially when she thinks that Diese is going to step on her in pursuit of Blink.
The negative side is not so good, old Nat can switch off and go to sleep, or even just lie there and doze but alert,however Diese ,who normally can adjust his heartbeat,slow it down to a tickover, is finding it difficult not to hyperventilate.It will take time for him to accept that she is a party member and in the meantime she has to be kept an eye on and looked after. It will take a good 10 days before he will be able to switch off and slow his metabolic rate and even then,she will have to be in her cage.But she has a friend, a guardian angle, one she runs up to in the street outside and rubs noses with.
 She is a stealer of hearts, Her position is pointed out immediately if she is present outside.She does take advantage of us, of that there is no doubt,especially Diese who wears his heart on his sleeve and will give away her position outside in seconds flat.
 We had a visitor to the green store in Tuesday evening, I thought it was Mrs Hubs for a moment but the eyes were saphyre blue in the lamplight,I had Blink on my arm and this one was looking down on me from the shelf. It was Blink,s dad,after a study, I could see the fresh scar down the side of his face. I sent him on his way with a gentle tap of the flat of the spade on the rump. I think, he expected to be able to hole up there and help Blink eat her meals.He is a very big cat indeed and did not like the feel of the steel on his rear end.
  This is a terrible month,s weather. Everywhere is saturated, everything is wet. I dry a decent amount of logs beside the Stove but making sure not to set the place on fire. I have a thing about fire and I check and double check.SADs. Stove Attention Disorder. I have no excuses. i don,t want any.
 The wind is howling  outside and the rain is pelting down. Blink will have found a secure dry place but the Hounds and I have last walks to go yet. Roll on the spring.!
                                                         Biff

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:53:40 PM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: