navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 114419 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #285 on: May 15, 2016, 05:33:01 PM »

Hi GB,
     There is a chap called Peter Neville and he has written books with individual casebook histories of dogs with all kinds of problems.
 He has also written about "Bandit" his rescue Neapolitan Mastiff and the battle of the fridge and the sheep. He has good sound reasoning powers.
 I think he is now called Professor P Neville. He was/is a highly qualified Practicing Vet. He writes good stuff and has an excellent sense of humor.
                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #286 on: May 15, 2016, 06:41:31 PM »

Wow ! it was a clear response from that animal.

Hiya GM. I'm usually quite skeptical about 'stuff' like this, but I have to say there is something very powerful about the way animals interact with us and the looks they give. I've learnt how different every dog and cat is, their individual personalities, and the incredible amount of information they give out. I can only assume I've learnt over time to read their micro gestures etc, maybe without even realising. BTW I don't mean I can read any cat or dog, I mean the ones I spend years with and slow grow to know, but probably never fully understand.

No idea what is really happening but its still fascinating and incredibly rewarding, regardless.

Off now to feed my neighbours house cat, and put food out for their visiting fox and hedgehogs (whilst they are on holiday) (the neighbours, not the hedgehogs). Hopefully their feral cat Chunk will be in the greenhouse, ready for a free meal too, and with a bit of luck he won't run too far, and will exchange a few blinks with me.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »

Dear Mam,
       The weather is very good up here, There is no rain or cold wind like you get down in Galway, so that is a big +. I am still wondering when I will be going home. I am not in a hurry but I don,t want to get too attached to these folks because I am not staying you see, I would not be fair. He is a bit of an idiot but she is rather nice. Her birthday is coming up shortly and I think he has some nice gift for her and I am supposed to help him present it.
 We spend a lot of time in the garden. Diese is very nice. he is far too big and slow and when I collide with him, it is like running into a brick wall, so now I leap over him until I am told to stop.
 We had a visitor on Friday, A man with a shepard,s staff. He was very angry and I heard my mistress say later,that she thought he was going to hit my boss with his staff. I heard most of it.
 It transpired, that the man had the 20 acres of bogland to the immediate north of us, let for many years and he keeps sheep there. His sheep had been savaged on Friday evening and he had found a lamb, still alive stuck in the fence just some 40ft from the corner of our boundry. So he naturally thought that perhaps Diese or me might have been involved. He was very upset and it took a little time for my boss to calm him down, They formed a plan, He would not go around the neighbours asking about dogs, Instead he would find a central spot to hide in the area which would give him a good view. My boss recommended one spot in particular,, no aftershave or smoking,
 Saturday dragged by, then on Sunday evening the call came in. The man had actually caught the dog (just one dog) pulling his lamb apart. The dog was a GSD and attacked the man himself.
 The man, followed the dog home, onto it,s street and into it,s house. They were all family friends. My boss knows everybody and is friends with them all. It is a sad sad day he says but the only answers is the lead in the ear.
 Apart from that, it is pretty boring. My name is now Sheba or Sheb,,which is confusing to say the least,,my new mistress likes the name and says it suits me because there is something rather Regal about me. I did not pick that up in the pound.
 My boss made a mistake in naming me after a lady called Shep who belonged to a kid called Nash almost 60 years ago, She had litters of pups every whack about and my boss and Nash used to go round the men at the fair selling the black and white ones as sheep dogs, out of a cardboard box, for a half a crown. It was easy money, some of the daddies were greyhounds but Nash got rid of anything that was not black and white..Even at that age they were counterfeiters and thieves. They loved the half crowns. Men came looking for them a year afterwards but only looking for more pups because Sheepdog Shep,s pups might have had the longest legs of a sheepdog in Ireland but they also had the smartest heads and somewhere in the hills of Urris, Shep,s long legged bloodlines still speed over the hills after sheep. Nash can still walk about 20 ft. He does not even keep a sheepdog any more, he lets his farm to townies and smirks. My boss says he finally settled down.
 I have no other news Mam, They are trying to train me to pee and poo on command. Absolutely hilarious Mam. I will make them work for it of course,especially for the treats.
  He says that my tatty coat needs to grow out a little more before he tackles it properly but before the 19th..  H,mmmmm. Maybe they are planning a BBQ and plan to put me on a spit,
  Am Joking Mam,,so don,t come rushing up here.
  Lots of love Mam..Give all the brood big hugs from me.
                      Your loving daughter,
                         Sheba,,( Sheb,, Shep, Shel, anything but Sue.)

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »

Biff, any idea on the names of those books ?

searching Peter Neville on amazon brings up 13 pages of results!
(I'm assuming it's a different Peter Neville that wrote so much about Hitler.....)

guessing one of these ? (or both?)

EMRAA Intelligence: The revolutionary new approach to treating behavior problems in dogs

Dog Behaviour Explained

my parents have a dog right now who has us all a bit stumped, he's a rescue black long haired german shepherd (parents have always had german shepherds), he's been re-homed twice before and he's not even 2 yet

assuming it's the usual thing of people getting a cute pup and not realising how big it will get or how much energy they have / how much exercise they need

has some (expected) separation anxiety, if he's left alone in the house (without people, he's always with our other GSD), he's chewed up the TV remove and a couple of books.

He gets good long walks every night - parents take them both out late at night so they can run free uninterrupted, which do help keep him calm while he's settling in

(they've had him about 6 months now)

but... there's a couple of time's he's had a go at strangers for no reason, once when walking along the beach he ran off a good 400 yards to bark at a couple of guys standing talking, aggressive barking not the normal just making noise stuff

and a couple of days ago while my dad was getting shopping out of the car boot he ran up behind some guy walking past, hackles up and growled at him (the guy was already past my father and walking away when the dog came out)

chewing up books etc.. is bad and needs to be worked on, but being aggressive is in a different league, he;s a big dog so can't be allowed to get away with that kind of thing
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »

Hello Knighty,
         I think it is the second book to listed,,,"Dog Behaviour explained"
    I thought he was pretty good but I guess there are others who think otherwise. He did give genuine case histories and I did glean a few tips from it but it has been a long time since I first read it. There is no one single dog "expert" who has all the correct answers. I regard Cesar Milan as a good example. He calms down breeds that would otherwise have to be destroyed, yet some folks don,t have a good word to say about him because he was supposed to use violent tactics in some cases. The dogs in question got to keep their lives intact. So I am not sure what to say about the chap but he is brilliant at pinpointing the dog,s problem and that is all important if you want to cure it.
    Destroying the remote control is an anxiety problem and fear of being abandoned once again but the aggression could be,("COULD BE") in the clothes that these people wear or the smell of their after shave. He could have had a likewise dressed owner that liked to thrash the life out of him now and then, so Your Dad needs to try and remember what kind of clobber these folks were wearing.
 I once had a shepard that was involved in a car accident in Galway late one night. He recovered but became quite dangerous around anyone dressed in dark clothes like police or clergy.
 There was nothing I could do back then, He had already put the wind up a few of these people and I was advised to have him destroyed because he had an additional problem with dead nerves in his spine and legs and was in constant pain. I think I may have even turned him into an alcoholic back then, I had fed him vodka to kill the pain. It was a desperate move in a desperate situation. He was absolutely 100% fine with me but at night time, he was just too dangerous.
  You can tell your Dad to invest in a good quality muzzle and put it on him in public until you souse out the reason for the bad attitude to these people. If it is the type of dress, then that is easy enough to sort but you need to use the muzzle and eliminate the risk to the public. I wish I could help you more but you will breathe easier when you get him used to the muzzle.
                                                       Biff

knighty

« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2016, 10:48:33 PM »

dress/smell is a good point, when they got him the were told "he hates men" but we saw on signs of that at all

for the first week or so he'd bark at anyone coming into the house but he soon relaxed a bit

it's a shame because he's so gentle the rst of the time, if you give him a treat you'd think he had no teeth at all the way he gently picks it up.

all our other dogs have always been gentle and laid back, but the rescues have taken a while to settle in and become that way

I'll order those two books, I'm pretty interested in this kind of stuff anyway so even if they don't help with him they'll be a good read

my parents have just got in to see a new dog trainer, two weeks ago they were 7th on the waiting list, but the guy (ex cop) is a bit blunt and won't put up with people not doing things right so people quit pretty regularly... he has strict rules too, if you miss one class without phoning him first to explain why he'll ban you from ever seeing him again....

I've never met the guy but he's still well known/respected enough that he has a waiting list so must be pretty good
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2016, 08:13:35 AM »

The days creep by,
                Yesterday,was rain and drizzle our new addition to the pack is pulling very well and we are on target for tomorrow.
  Her coat is still tatty,despite the work I put into it but coats take time to come right. As to date,there has been no manifestation
 of serious vice. The things like jumping up on the seats or begging at the table have gently fallen away from her. She has learned to trust
 Diese and they can share the same space in comfort. Diese is the key to it all, There would be no easy way through if it were not for his full co-operation
 and he gives willingly. Last night was cause for celebration,our little wolf had done her toilet as planned and spent the first night in the house as reward.
 It is all very much to take in and she is a bit overcome with it all. Time will chase away the anxiety pangs and the bad memories will recede into the distant
 past. She has a joyous open nature that instantly connects and makes you want to do the best for her but we take it all slow. I follow Diese,s glance. He is not a grass
 but he wants things done right without being a bully and she would not be what she is, if she would not try and take advantage, which is turning out to be
 a lot more difficult than she first thought. He has learned that he cannot rough it like he could with Old Nat and she has leaned that he demands respect.
 Somehow they have met in the middle and are getting along fine.
 My 6am rising will not be needed from now on, She will take up position beside the tall porch window that looks up our drive. It was Old Nats spot for years.
 When she is strong enough we will visit the Vet and hopefully get a clean bill of health, boosters and Drontal. Then Home.
                                                        Biff

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #292 on: May 18, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »

Our own "New girl" since 28th (ish) sept 2015 is in peak season right now & tbh I think it's actually acting as a settler for her.

It's her 1st with us, (mop out) & whilst it isn't phasing her, it seems to have settled her mind as to "home".
In fact when I briefly had to bawl her out & get in the middle of a snarling toothfest of boxers going for it last night ( possession over a sweet potato chip) she came up onto the bed & seemed to "apologise" for her action.

We think that the bigger dog (a big mastiff) she lived with before had really pushed her out of her bowl & was skinny when she arrived that she still has a few problems with not sharing when 3 other dogs inquire as to what she has between her paws. (other than that they all eat together at raised feeders).

A bottle of vodka biff!?  whistlie ...exactly what we are having to do to help keep our young male on an even keel (senility @5 years), tried a new drug which emulates a a calming enzyme from mothers milk but uncertain as to how it worked in this case, he is pretty far down the road!
In the meantime double dose of steroids every day, + a ranitadine (stomach coating).

Folk really ought train a dog to sausage / cold cut treats in order to make pills (whether medicinal or otherwise)  easier to get down throats,our boy is very keen to have his pills treats.

Our Oldest person has had old age hit her hard now & sleeps alot but very sprightly at all other times, a solid red person now very grey & red, cancer we think, but currently no pain, ..so she can tick over for a while longer.
 Something noticeable which makes us think cancer (she also has benign lumps elsewhere) is the swollen eye, (as if tails aren't painful enough). ..again a bit of alcohol or a pain killer ( basic pharmacy, not re-named vet schmutter).

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2016, 09:11:35 AM »

All is going well on our front,
                 Our new gal, is thriving and the birthday gal is delighted. She already knew for a few days and was out in the good weather walking with little wolf.
 Sheba (my wife loves the name)   ( Nash will have to wait ) is going from strength to strength, I am holding back on the drontal to the weekend. I see nothing that would make me
 believe that she needs it immediately but parasites can hide deep.
 It will take a month or so to bring her back to correct weight and by that time she will be well established and biddable.
 Diese is tres cool, He accidentally drops a toy near her and walks on. Her early playing hard to get has made him super cool but they get along really well.
 all is good.,
              Biff

gravyminer

« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »

Good name Biff

our first shepherd rescue came with the name Sheba.
She was the smartest dog Ive ever shared a home with.
Just seemed to know what to do, obviously able to read her stoopid humans better than they could read her.

Only times I saw her get it wrong, once to learn about electric fences and once when she went to walk across a collection of debris that had built up in the corner of a still, deep pool on a busy dartmoor river .......

gravyminer
talisman

« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2016, 04:24:34 PM »

You have all reminded me of my old girl ... Sheama.
Rescue case with unknown age, we all thought she was 6 or 7 but she arrived just when my 2 boys and self were going through a rough time with my ex.
My sons at the time were only 9 and 11 years old and Sheama knew all my their secrets as they used to snuggle up in her rough and give her lots of cuddles and love.
Although she used to tower over the children at the local primary school, she really was one of the biggest softies, and it was amusing to watch her being idolised by 4 and 5 year olds as they would take it in turns to take her for a small walk in the play ground  and then to brush and comb her
Sorry to say old age caught up with her and her hind legs, quality of life quickly disappeared so now in doggy heaven

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2016, 10:26:16 PM »

Beautiful looking lady Talisman,
                         Loads of wisdom there.
  This is Sheba,Our new gal, just in the front door from Galway,
  Her coat is matted and covered in tats. She is also badly dehydrated and very underweight.

A lot can happen in ten days.
  Her coat still needs a lot of work but her condition inside and outside has improved greatly.
  She takes these little anxiety attacks where she paces around the room if I am gone for 10 minutes. We don,t tell her stop or lie down. It will wear off after we go for a few trips
 in the jeep to the seaside. Diese has improved as well. He is more alert and tuned in. She is good for him.
 She is down to 3 meals a day and will be on two as from Sunday next. The Mackerel did it,s job, She was quite pongy. Getting water into her is not easy and she was taking 24 hours
 between pees which was quite worrying. It is now down to 6 hours between pees.She can eat much bigger meals now and her poos are excellent. It takes a little while to get it all
 together but it is well worth the trouble to get off to a decent start.I believe there is some growing still left in her.It will be interesting to see what she will be like in a few months time.
  Meantime we just do the best we can and hope it goes well.
                                          Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »

In among the toys, I have an audience.
  Hurry up you  2, I have things to do you know,

Our sitting room/dining room/mini kitchen is upstairs to the right, with views across the bog to the sea. She is standing below some pics of friends and going up the stairs to the right are
  pics of the wolves in the "Wildwoods" Dakota in particular. Sheba , has her gait, that energy conserving gait that can last for days on end. She is winning.
                                                       Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #298 on: May 26, 2016, 09:13:48 PM »

Slowly catching up.
Great news Biff delighted for you.

I'm always amazed at the nvc that allows animals to communicate with us.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #299 on: May 27, 2016, 12:58:21 AM »

Aye Tod,
     We are happy, Diese is silently satisfied. He has a nice friend with a sense of humor.
  Things are running according to plan and she is learning steadily and coping as much as her body will allow her.
  Her anxiety is obviously still there but she puts her trust in Diese......and us.
  We are not used to her speed and lighting reflexes. It has been a while since Xena lived here but then she is giving us time.
  The head is excellent and taking everything in. Every dog is different and shows it,s intelligence in different ways.
  It is a learning process for us all and we are extremely fortunate that it has been as stress free as it has been.
  We just hope that it continues this way.
                                                     Biff
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:00:38 AM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: