navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 119782 times)
gravyminer

« Reply #300 on: May 27, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »

Sorry to say old age caught up with her and her hind legs, quality of life quickly disappeared so now in doggy heaven

Our old Sheba started to show signs of hip displacia at a fairly young age ( about 8 yrs old ) and the vets were useless.
We even took her to some fancy vet hospital near Bristol and all they could suggest was that they hung onto her for a few days to do more tests ......

Someone suggested Royal Jelly ( courtesy of the bees ) and the effect was instant and spectacular.
She was on the stuff for the rest of her life and never showed signs of back end lock up again.

Im wondering if I shouldn't try some  Wink

gravyminer
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »

The new party member, Sheba, Little wolf. You can see from the pic that she is very underweight, Skin and bone actually. It took the best part of the two weeks to get her gut working properly. She could only take small meals at a time,She is still on 3 meals a day but has been packing it away since Wednesday. Her stools are now normal and she is doing everything as naturally as possible. I try and stop her running and keep her weight gain as steady as possible. Her co-ordination leaves a little to be desired but considering the circumstances and the condition that she arrived here in,we will be lucky if she suffers no long term affects.The picture above was taken on Tuesday evening, Just two weeks after she arrived here
 And you ask yourself,what kind of people would leave a dog in this condition. They were a man and wife team, selling on behalf of a third party,,an apparent martial breakup,,It was a plausible story. But the more I listened to them, The more I realised they knew very little about the dog. "So what do you feed her on" I said.       "Ahhhhh anything and everything and spuds" he replied.
 I knew he was,nt joking. That is very often the diet of the collie dog. , "Excellent" I said. Ignorance is bliss I thought and you do not get very far preaching about the advantages of feeding a dog properly. The sun was beating down and roasting us, Her head was steady, nose moist and eyes clear but she was also breathing very hard and dehydrated..I had to get water into her and get her cooled down.They reduced the price without any haggling but wanted petrol money,,I gave them 10 euros and they were going to argue between them over it..Soooo  You get the picture.?We streaked home with the windows down, past the sleeping Yeats,round Benbulbin, Into Donegal, over the Bluestacks and home, into the restful cool.
  There is a terrible irony in all this. You could spend a fortune and buy the top bloodlines..get the praise and the co-operation of the best vets in the country(and their bills) and you could still have nothing, I mean that absolutely. Yet the chances of Sheba coming right, once she gets past the first 2 months, (8weeks) are excellent. She has already come through the mill and if there was any little weakness in there.It would have killed her by now. She will also, unless I am very much mistaken, be bang on the breed standard by early September. She is a survivor.
 I could write reams about her, I rang Nash to tell him i was naming her after Shep. His mind stepped back instantly over 10 years ontop o half a century,when we were selling pups at the fair.
 He was groggy but tuned in immediately. We talked of Topsey,Spot,Rex and Shep. We took the best dogs in the town with us on our rambles round the countryside. once they joined up with us
 they forsook their own house and hearth. Topsey was a Clumber and years later, I chanced upon his double, A purebreed and bought him out of dire circumstances, washed him once and asked him what he knew. Sold him into a family home (with a money back guarantee) where the man of the house like to go on shoots. He became the darling of 3 small girls but would still go on the shoot and outperform everything around. He gave me a good name.I knew Clumbers were scarse and he was the last one I knew.
  Dogs,  Sorry,,i have gone to the dogs once again................

Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #302 on: May 28, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »

After the Baff

Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #303 on: May 28, 2016, 07:45:53 PM »

Love the way she holds her head

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #304 on: May 28, 2016, 09:15:15 PM »

Out cold in the Land of Nod. Dreaming.
  Only now is her coat coming right and the last of the tats were removed today before her bath. She has been hosed down a few times but today she got the shampoo and the full treatment. In a few hours time she will fluff up like a pom. She is starting to assert herself which is nice. Her shape is changing rapidly. He tummy is able to hold more.
  The long hairs on her flanks and tummy are a miracle in them selves. I have always been amazed by the way these strange creatures can change their bodies in such a short time. A phantom pregnancy is not a welcome event but it is a miracle in itself that the dog shape undergoes the complete change to accommodate the invisible pups with full milk and her body grows the most de lux duvet that descends to the floor and the tail grow the rest to come around and wrap the phantom pups in this very very real warm and comfortable,secure nest. The rib cage opens up, moving up to the front more. Then when the phantom gestation has run its course, It is suddenly all over. She is no longer angry at the male and allows him into her space. The milk disappears and the teats retreat back into the body.The proud haughty behaviour is gone to be replaced by a shy guilty one which is easy to break up and dispel. Only when you witness this type of happening in our canine friends are you able to admit and understand the possible corresponding similar behaviours in us humans. We may think we are in charge but nature dictates just as the moon does the tides.
 Sheba is bringing us a lot of contentment. She is work, plain and simple, I have lost a bit of weight, Diese is feeling younger but his poors paws are not up to the pace that Sheba sets. He enjoys ambushing her under the apple trees and she enjoys getting caught. She will get more responsibility and hopefully not get too serious. So far so good.
                                                                         Biff

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #305 on: May 29, 2016, 09:24:44 AM »

Looks like there are some more females on post-image could do with a bit more body mass!  Grin

(Sorry, that was probably sexist, and I shall go to hell  facepalm)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #306 on: May 29, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »

Worry not N2,
             If you were to go to hell for that,,then hell would be full long ago.
                                           Biff
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 01:54:37 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #307 on: June 02, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »

6.30am and the sun is boring through our bedroom window,
                     Wait,!! we have millions of little pets just outside the glass, They are frantic to join us inside. Who could believe that one so small could curtail your enjoyment so abruptly but you will not hang around outside with these little bleeders giving you love bites. They are simply ferocious at the moment.
  We had a bit of wind yesterday evening as the sun began to set, So i boxed clever, got out our supply of distilled and began topping up the Battery bank..Wow, it seemed liuke a good idea at the time, I had about 30 cells done with another 30 to go and a big cloud of the buxxers came out of nowhere as the wind died. I could not stop and had to keep going to the bitter end. They got up the legs of my trousers and really went to town on me. i think I am short a testicle, It took ages with a towel in the bathroom to finally settle in the one spot.
 There are a great lot of bees about this year and even a few bumble bees. The place is like the rain forest without the rain,,green, Heavy green.   but by gum,,lurking in that greenery are the worst little creatures on god,s planet.. Mrs Biff has new Midge roll on that seems to work for her, so today,,i will give our new resident pets a treat.
 Meanwhile, Sheba and her boyfriend Diese enjoy life to the full. She has settled down well and not quite as anxious as she was. Still on 3 meals a day (low protein). She is 3 weeks here yesterday. It is lovely to see her expand and come out of her shell. She has this great humor that Diese loves. Oh,! she is cute and crafty but so is Diese and it is nice to see them go to sleep, head to head. Enjoy it while you can, Diese my friend. She will be an exceptional female Shepard of she did not try and reconfigure the pecking order but you never know, She could be gracious,respectful and protective to you,,like old Nat was to 4 legged Biff in his old age. That would be nice.
                                                                     Biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #308 on: June 02, 2016, 09:38:34 AM »

my latest Navi-pet  Smiley

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #309 on: June 03, 2016, 10:40:06 AM »

We have trillions of little Navipets,
                           Nano vampires each and every one. It is really serious outside this morning. I never saw as many starving little critters.
  I feel weak from the loss of blood but at least, I can say, I am losing weight, Lips Sealed Roll Eyes
                                                                         Biff

dhaslam

« Reply #310 on: June 03, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »

This duck arrives for a swim in the pond beside the house most mornings, sometimes with his partner.   They ignore the wildlife pond at the other end of the garden that includes a  floating nesting box.   

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
djs63

« Reply #311 on: June 03, 2016, 11:54:09 AM »

Do Biff's "millions of little critters" bother furry pets? Do any of the lotions and potions keep them away from humans?

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #312 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:40 PM »

Yes djs,
     They do bother the hounds if there are large angry numbers.I spray their heads with "So Soft"  (avon) and then wipe them down with a tissue when we come inside.
                                                                                       Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #313 on: June 05, 2016, 01:55:46 PM »

Cor,! Its hot,,

Oooppp,s Sorry darling,,

Ah, This is better. It is no fun getting stepped on , or running into a 70kg+ x 42" chest. I am a lady after all and should be treated as such. Things were different in my last place. I could jump on things and flatten the opposition but playing tig with this guy is like being chased by a large mobile brick poohouse, sooner or later he falls on top of me and it don,t half hurt,,. Sure he says sorry and give me a lick and a nudge and a wink.
  I have a secret weapon but it will have to wait for a few months and then he will be very sweet and kind..H,Mmmmmm
                                                                          Biff
 Nb, Chest filling out,flanks rounding off,,muscles building slowly in the legs, Low protein diet with the odd splurge of chickie..mackerel ,salmon.,liver
     More work required on the coat. Very difficult to keep her from running and making her put on weight. Nice happy disposition and a pleasure to work with,
    Full of mischief and surprisingly strong willed. Little short training sessions that hardly dent her mindset, At the moment her attitude is,
    "Yer aving a laugh mate,,yer are,  arnnt,yeh,,"  " But Ok,,I,ll tolerate it."
    (All is good.)

Greenbeast

« Reply #314 on: June 06, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »

Dale at 11 weeks

The aviary i built for him:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: