navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 114725 times)
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #345 on: September 01, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »

We booked the needle for tomorrow night, plus a night for the remaining pack to grieve before driving down to the pet crem, (wife's wishes, cold earth & all that I think).

He is past the point of good days / bad days, & has been coaxed as a happily demented dog over the past few months when he showed signs of improvement, but now is starting to show anxiety, still wagging his tail but barking at thin air.

I've been nursing him along, i've learnt a lot (second canine dementia case), whilst the wife remains frazzled (he's "her" dog)

As I saw him most often in winter months crying when the dancing flames died down.

As a pup, ..they've both grown so much, he's only 5.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
M

« Reply #346 on: September 01, 2016, 02:34:30 PM »

We booked the needle for tomorrow night, plus a night for the remaining pack to grieve before driving down to the pet crem, (wife's wishes, cold earth & all that I think).

Best wishes to you and yours.

Martyn.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #347 on: September 01, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »

It is a horrible situation Gus,
                     Your,s is the only way. In our Roxi,s case, I dawdled and faffed about hoping for a cure but there was none. I was actually angry with her and i still feel guilty about having her put down.
   I should have done it sooner and saved her a lot of pain and anxiety. I still see her eyes looking up at me after each time she fell over. The puzzlement gradually was gradually replaced by fear and I was her only hope as she staggered toward me to heel.and  I could do nothing to comfort her and help her. She went from a young dream dog that hung in your every word,did everything perfect, to a dog that took fits and became terrified of the night. In the end, her coat began turning grey/white. The needle was a relief. There are some battles you will never win.
                                                                                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #348 on: September 01, 2016, 03:01:20 PM »

Thinking of you Gus.
Truly horrible decision.
Perhaps the last kindness you can do for your much loved dog.
Still doesn't stop you feeling sh*t even though it is the right decision.
Very best wishes to you and the family.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #349 on: September 02, 2016, 12:31:10 AM »

My condolences go out to you Gus. I've been told on more than one occasion that I am too sensitive, so sadly I no longer keep animals of any type, but make friends of other people's pets. His time on this planet was a good and happy one, much better and longer than his chances with the wrong family.
N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
M

« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »

My condolences go out to you Gus. I've been told on more than one occasion that I am too sensitive, so sadly I no longer keep animals of any type, but make friends of other people's pets. His time on this planet was a good and happy one, much better and longer than his chances with the wrong family.
N2

Thought I'd mention this for anyone who would like a part-time dog!

Through our guide dog puppy experience (bad day probably about 2 months away!!!!) we've learn't of guide dog boarding.

When the dogs go for training, as a boarder you drop them off in the morning, and pick them up in the evening. This can suit people who work, or can't guarantee being home most of the day, and you get a dog for evening walks and weekends. Depending on what phase of training they are in, it could be 8 to 12 weeks (I think?).

Obviously you'd need to live close to a training centre, or spend too much time driving around, but possibly an idea for pet lovers, who can't commit to a full time dog.

This isn't an advert, I don't know much about it, and I don't think there's a shortage of people (there might be?), but whilst Wifey and I are expecting some upset soon (hopefully not heartbreaking) when Fifi goes, I'd have thought boarding wouldn't be too bad.

The dogs would probably be between 1 and 2 years old, so quite a handful. Labs, retrievers, GSD's, all combinations of these, and even Labradoodles.

Mart.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #351 on: September 02, 2016, 09:43:16 AM »

Your,s is a kindly and noble act Mart,
                                I just hope you don,t feel too bad when your young dog heads off to training school.
 Many years ago, I considered breeding dogs as a kind of sideline. I got too close to the prospective parents
 and developed a steely responsibility towards them and any of their would be future offspring. I knew exactly
 the kind of people that would buy the pups and with great regret, I locked even the thought of it away. I did
 sell my hunting dog breed into decent homes. They were highly respected and much sought after but the
 GSDs breeds that I owe so much to only, had a small chance of landing on their feet properly. I found that I
 scored much higher, introducing mature GSDs into family homes or families with owner businesses.(not pubs).
 It is good that you can follow the plan for the guide dog people but I have to warn you, that if you meet the
 right dog,that gets into your head, It will crush you to have to part with him/her.
 It don,t half piddle you off.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #352 on: September 02, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »

I have to warn you, that if you meet the
 right dog,that gets into your head, It will crush you to have to part with him/her.
 It don,t half piddle you off.

I suppose wives are the same Biff!!!
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #353 on: September 02, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »

" I suppose wives are the same Biff!!!"
      Honest to God Tod, I am not really sure if that is the case.
    You see, I always sought the company of women who were smarter than I was for the obvious reason that perhaps some of their intelligence might rub off on me,
    But it don,t work like that. I was fine as long as I kept quiet but the moment I began to talk, the game was up. Then , Intelligent women can well look after themselves,
    so you are not left with the feeling of responsibility towards them,,If you see what i mean, Grin
    However,I can build a relationship with a very good dog, the feelgood factor is massive, yet I soon become aware that this special dog needs me to make sure
   that his/hers life does not go off the rails through my lack of responsibility. This "Convenant" as Lorenz called it, is of course a two way thing and the responsibility becomes
   a privilege, or should do.
   There is a very good book, I cannot remember the name nor the author but i well remember the true story. it involved a Croat soldier returning from the war, who had raised a
   wolf pup. He endangered, not just his health but his life on several occasions ,till eventually the wolf attacked him and crushed his thigh bone leaving him with a permanent injury
   Some folks might think that the guy was clean bonkers, but I could understand that guy being trapped and wondering if this special relationship was all in his mind, was he imagining it,
   or was it for real and he followed the wolf on it,s hunting trip,s shared it,s meals and froze in the snow. I will do a search for the title and hopefully dig it up.
   It did not have a bad ending or a happy ending but because it was a factual account it was a victory of sorts.
                                                                        Biff

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #354 on: September 05, 2016, 02:04:42 PM »

We had to put it off (long story) due to work issues, ..he's been molliecoddled & fed too many treats (that won't kill him right)!? & after picking daughter up from school we all go to it as a family then bring him back for the girls to understand.

..i've only been getting emotional 10+ times per day, lots of tears & anguish, we should have got a bit more time for him but this fr!gging court case accusation has done us / him in ..as i've stated previously i've been coaxing him along these last few years with the curtains closed round the house (really to keep him calmer) ..he's the wife's baby, ..her decision I have been able to minimise behavioural problems & if it weren't for the damn neighbour & EON w@nkers lies he'd likey have another month or two of pretty good (interspersed with bad day s when he has a flare up for the main condition) ..but the wife won't have it.

I'm feeling like i've cheated him out of a bit more comfortable time, Why the f__k are stupid humans so self important as to feel they can ignore (& endanger) animals / people by their actions!?

yes I'm angry, but through this still not angry enough to wallop someone (like I didn't in the first place).

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2016, 01:39:04 PM »

Sorry to announce the demise of my alta ego Todthedog , aged 16.H e had a good knock and  It was his time, he has been a loyal friend  to us both and there is a Tod shaped gap in his armchair. We shall miss him hugely. He had been ailing for the last couple of weeks and we couldn't bear to see him suffer.  We have buried him next to Comfort at the end of our garden.

Tigger

« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2016, 02:45:11 PM »

There aren't the right words at this time Tod, so many of us know how it feels to lose a loyal friend.  You did right by him, be so thankful that you were there for him when he needed you the most.

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #357 on: September 08, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »

Sorry to hear Tod. Has Elliot reacted to this?
Stan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:50:50 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #358 on: September 08, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »

That is indeed sad news Tod,
                             I know the feeling only too well. You did the right thing..He did not suffer.
   Take care,
                Biff

M

« Reply #359 on: September 08, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »

All the best.

16yrs, that must be a lot of happy memories.

Martyn.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: