navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 120137 times)
dickster

« Reply #360 on: September 09, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »

Phew! Our 3 collie crosses are still up and running, but George (10yrs) is starting to puff and pant a bit. Judy and I have had a couple of light conversations about end of life, but J has never had kids, so it's all a bit scary.

However, Charlie the Jackdaw (rescued from being pecked to death on track) has been transformed via an unscheduled moult into a fine and dandy specimen. Now becoming a tad demanding (aggressive almost). He's free flying and we're now going to taper his food down in the vague hope that he'll go play with his mates permanently rather than just for a couple of hours after brekky.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #361 on: September 09, 2016, 01:17:52 PM »

Thank you all for your kind words they are much appreciated.

Stan, Elliott seems fine, still daft.

His latest (job) is patrolling the hedge, waiting patiently at one end and as passersby go up the lane hurtling at full speed up and down the length of the garden to accompany them on their walk. He could easily clear the fence with a single bound but doesn't, he has worn a track in the grass with his effort (bless). Could this be a sheep substitute?

I'm not sure if the sudden promotion to number one dog hasn't gone to his head.  Oh the responsibility!

Dickster a semi tame Jackdaw what fun. I'm sure George will have many happy years ahead of him. Tod and I puffed and panted up many hills  after the age of ten Mrs T said it was a competition as to whom was the best wheezer.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #362 on: September 09, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »

Condolences Todd, I feel your emptiness.

Having sobbed my eyes out for days, the worst part was feeding the other 3 who would wait, & left his dry biscuit remains present in his bowl for 2 days before we binned them, whereas they'd normally have snaffled them, you know thats got to them when it go's against their nature.

I anticipate you are seeing the same sort of everyday actions that have perceptibly changed just enough to tilt your windmills emotionally speaking.

I maintain that bringing your dog home for the others to see, sniff & accept life has left their buddy is the way forward, ..it is a heavier but shorter burden to bear imho.

We took him down to the crem, where we found out they use oil to feed the burners, it was a big place & pretty busy, despite our feelings I couldn't resist asking what amount of energy / litres  it took for a typical crem, nor did the office lady know.

..such is life, & death, I'd like to know it is greener than it is, but too late!

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #363 on: September 09, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »

Thanks Gus our feelings are with you and yours as well.

No matter how correct your decision you still feel guilty. Human nature I guess.

To sort of change the subject many moons ago I worked for a company that manufactured a revolutionary new board product out of gypsum and phenolic resin. It rather resembled the interior of a crunchie bar. Amongst it's alleged attributes was a burn at a very predictable rate.

One of the marketing ideas was coffins.

If you are easily shocked stop reading now.

The problem of wooden coffins is they all burn at different rates at the cremmie it is essential that it reaches full heat before coffin burn through. Otherwise it gets very messy. I have no idea of the practicalities nor do I want to know.
So a test coffin was made at the factory and needed to be taken from there to HQ in Slough.
A much younger me was volunteered to drive this there in my bosses XR3 around the M25 late Friday afternoon.
The car broke down on the M25 during the rush hour.
The boys in blue were soon on the scene.
Do you have any idea of how difficult it is to explain why you have a sub size coffin in your car on a Friday afternoon.
My explanation was not readily believed. I got the idea they thought I wanted to brake down.
Amusing now...... but at the time.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #364 on: October 06, 2016, 10:02:59 AM »

An little Update on Sheba,
                        She is a quite a gal, very determined,quite ruthless and 100% intense sheepdog. It seems like years ago since she landed here last May but it has only been 5 months and she
   Is still developing and learning. She still dashes for the door if we lift the brush but her eating habits have become normal and now she leaves a mouthfull in the dish these past few weeks.
   Her weight more than doubled but cut back to a sensible 35kgs and she has learned to cope with that and not crash like she was doing after the first few months. She is also on a normal diet without
   supplements or added vitamins. Personality wise she is a jealous little thing, very very intense. Training is hilarious with times where she cannot contain herself with excitement and takes off around the
   apple trees like a dervish only to return to the exact position at my left calf..Walking to heel without the lead and swinging right and left still confuses and annoys her but I decided to replace the weight
   of the lead on her collar with a corresponding weight and that fooled her long enough to get the idea, She thought she was still on the lead and did not take off dashing round the apple trees like mad
   and completed her rounds successfully to both our satisfactions.
   I have mixed her in with the visitors but only after asking their permission,Still she never takes her eyes of them,,never and they burn bright. A good friend of mine made a visit to us and of course
   asked to allow Sheba to come along. he is very deaf like me and we were both discussing a UPS in the shed and talking very loud and W said, You know that Blxxdy dog is looking at me kind of sharp,
   I could not help but laugh. "Here Miss" I called and Sheb came over immediately and threw herself on the ground with her 4 feet up in the air for a game.
   From day one, I could send her out to the left and to the right and freeze her anywhere. She just streaks out in the semi circle following the trajectory of my arms. so exercising her is easy. She was
   easy to train to stay. She must have been severely punished for carrying things, perhaps stealing but she has never stolen anything here(touchwood)
   In May, When she was only 2 days here and we allowed her to sniff the house over, she went into the bedroom and settled on a shoe. She was still that hungry that she ate the leather of the shoe.
   She did not chew it at all,just bit clean through the soft leather,the tongue and the top of the shoe right down to the toe.Leaving this clear bite mark on the top of toe area. No tugging or chewing.
   This was the only bit of damage she has done (touchwood). She was on 4 small meals a day back then.
   Her training has given her good self esteem and the release sends her into a frenzy of joy. I had to be careful in the beginning because she crashed a few times and once into a tree stump that left
   her sore for days. We don,t leave her in the house when we go out, There are two reasons, one is that she is happier without the responsibility. The other is that she can give Diese quite a hard time
   of it. Yet she has learned to switch off now, only this past few weeks, she can slow her breathing right down. There will come the time when she gets the place when we go out. The fawney dog is
   leaving and the true heart is settling in. Lorenz did say that it takes 5 months but I have known females dogs that switched to my side in the first 24 hours that i knew them, to the detriment of the
   previous owners who could not approach her never mind stroke her. Xena, (They had cracked two of her ribs) but then she was mad about 4 legged Biff as well. Sheba is very very normal, yet you
   could not tell her that. She was gifted the constitution of an ox and the energy of a dervish,the two together make for hard work,Still she is a joy to be with and wonders of wonders, she turned out
   like the ugly duckling a real class act with a coat and looks that would easily  be at home in the show ring. She has a lot to teach me yet but we are on the open road.
                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #365 on: October 06, 2016, 06:26:06 PM »

Little Fifi our guide dog puppy, will be going to big school in Lemington soon. D Day (dog-gone day) is the 13th, so one more week to enjoy her. Then some tears!

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #366 on: October 06, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »

I don,t know If I could do that Mart,
                                    I know that I would be really upset to part with someone that shared our lives and enriched them.  Yet, I can see that you are doing something generous and good.
    I must be a more selfish type. I value the company in the early morning stroll, Last walks, The routine, the Team. If I include a canine friend into it,they are in for the long haul. They become part
    of the whole fabric, not daft or useless but valued company.
    Yet I know you are doing a good thing and I admire you for it.
    Little Sheb has yet to know that I am profoundly deaf, and that is funny as well because when she whines for attention Diese understands but often refuses to oblige. I can imagine him smirking to
    himself and saying to her " He he smarty,There are still some things you have to learn". Yet when the posty arrives she drums on the stairs dashes up and jumps around in circles  Grin and I know it
    will be all working perfectly by Christmas.
    Being deaf, I value the company highly. For years old Nat used to sit behind me at the PC, she would want attention or want out to the toilet, She would put her shout under my elbow and flick it
    gently upwards at first, If I dallied,. she would get a bit rougher by degree. You could not ignore her and Diese would just bump the back of the chair. I still feel Nat touching my elbow late at night
    Little Sheb and Diese would be fast asleep and yet about once a week, I feel Old Nat nudge my elbow. It does not bother me in the slightest, I just say "Good Girl" the others never stir.
    Tomorrow is giving for good weather and I will take a pic of 4 legged Biff,s grave. It,s October and all the flowers are dying, On his grave is a single rose,fragile,dainty and vivid red.
    Goodness, I must be sounding a little morbid but nothing could be further from the truth.
                                                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #367 on: October 07, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »

. Buck is pulling the sledge in the film "Call of the Wild", Diese,s favourite. Taken at the start of summer.

Sleepy Galway girl, tired out and pensive.

40 winks and dreams after dinner.

Classy gal,With 4 legged Biff,s rose and our kid Diese on the front lawn.
   Rounded off with golden sunshine, A perfect end to a perfect day,
                                                Biff

M

« Reply #368 on: October 07, 2016, 07:26:51 PM »

I don,t know If I could do that Mart,                                   

It's a tough one to call Biff. I'd class Wifey and myself as too soft to do this, and we did ponder it for nearly 10 years, but (famous last words) it's not as hard as we thought it might be as we knew from day 1 that she was going. Could you look after a friends dog for a year whilst they are away? You will of course fall in love with it, and be sad, but knowing it'll go means you have a different outlook from the start.

For us we decided that if it was too upsetting, we simply wouldn't do it again, and regardless of how sad we were, it wasn't going to kill us. So worth a shot.

We will hopefully do it again, but want to get our own dog first, plus my back is playing up more and more, so need to get that sorted as even a 30kg dog is proving slightly too much at the moment.

Speaking of weights, here's a pic of Fifi with her boyfriend Alfie. No longer the tiny 25kg 4 month old we met, he's now 50kg+ and 9 months, but a loveable monster.

Mart.

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #369 on: October 07, 2016, 07:46:50 PM »

Mart, I used to get backache via the dog pulling on the lead. The trick is to stick your thumb inside your trouser waistband, or pocket, so that the load from the lead is below the bottom of your spine. Hopefully, your button or clasp will not fail but hey, it will entertain onlookers.
These days they are both off the lead under voice control, unless we are on a busy road.
Stan
I love the photos guys!
How about this story Biff? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-37574881
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:01:40 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #370 on: October 07, 2016, 09:07:33 PM »

Aye Stann,
            I spotted that one a few days ago, Mr Jacques needs to further his research some more before he can call himself an expert,
    The wolf family will travel a lot lot more than 250 miles to get what they want.
    The Alsation type dog her refers to originated in Alsace Loraine.
    I am wary of the experts, I remember 30 years ago round about the time they were trying to established the Druid pack in Yellowstone.
    (The Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf Rescue Plan 1987)
   They talked about how the wolf was never a danger to humans and that all they wanted was to be left alone.
   They did great work in getting the wolf well established and out of the endangered area, I would be a big fan of Mr wolf, I have always been.
   Yet I know that the wolves in the wild will take any foolish human for a snack who gads about under his nose believing such tosh.
   They are a top predator and an extremely clever one as well. They deserve the utmost respect.
    Jack London,wrote reams about the klondike and of course the wolves that hunted there. He wrote best selling fiction and one of the stories he
    he wrote concerned a trapper who was being stalked by a group of hungry wolves. He had one round left in his rifle and could not work up the courage to shoot
    himself. The wolves were just a little out of range and they sensed he was out of ammunition,He woke up to find that the wolves had gathered round him in a semi circle
    as he lay back against the base of a tree, He described the way that the wolves looked across at him from 10ft. They made low guttural noises so as not to upset him ,
    and their eyes had a friendly benign look in them, He knew if he shot one he was dead anyhow but suddenly in an act of sheer madness he jumped up and started shouting and cursing
    and daring them to attacking him, he was delirious and ranting.. The wolves jumped back and spread out to study him for about 5 minutes and then they turned away and left him, completely
    insulted and disgusted,,This was supposed to be fiction but Lorenz stated that for anyone to know and describe exactly what would happen in such circumstances,they would have to have
    been in that situation themselves.  It must have been London himself or someone very close to him because it was not fiction, it had to be true. But there is logic present as well.
    In her time, Anny Oakley rode Pony Express very successfully and survived many encounters with the native American. She was naturally dressed as a man and rode like a man and when the
    they got too close and she was trying to outrun them, She would stand up on her horse and make very crude hand signals at them dancing up on down on the horses back going hell for leather,
    The Natives  Grin would just wheel away and think themselves lucky to have avoided her,,They believed she had rabies and were terrified of even going close to her. It was they who had the lucky
    escape or so they thought, It is possible the Wolves drew similar instinctive conclusions..
                          errrrr  did you hear the one about the Bear and the Rabbit walking in the woods together, ?
                                                                           Biff

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:46:33 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #371 on: October 08, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »

Cure for backache let Mrs T hold the lead.
 facepalm

Great pictures and stories.

Mart will be thinking of you, hope it goes well. I admire what you are doing but know I could never do it. genuflect
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:23:36 PM by todthedog » Logged

M

« Reply #372 on: October 13, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »

D-Day has arrived, Fifi packed her bags

then our supervisor arrived with Jake, and they got to have a play a great play and make friends

then it was time to jump in the car for a nice trip to Leamington, where, if they've bonded, they will hopefully get to share with each other

then school starts and the test begin

There have been a few tears here, but it's all good, and mostly smiles. Fifi will be very happy and fingers crossed will be helping someone next Spring.

All the best.

Mart.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:06:19 PM by M » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #373 on: October 13, 2016, 04:44:33 PM »

Congratulations Mart.
Job well done despite the sad goodbyes. Grin

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2016, 08:45:33 PM »

Helga,
        He was quite famous before we ever met. At 14 months he leapt on an armed robber who was sticking up the Green line filling station, the first one on the right as you exit the Mersey tunnel in Birkenhead. The guy walked in and pulled out a gun but Helga who had been asleep suddenly reared off the floor and grabbed the offending arm and floored him.
  He was all over the Liverpool echo for an evening. He was mine for the taking away as long as he got a good home. The petrol station had closed and now he was patrolling an insurance compound on the  Wallasey Docks. The compound was also closing and the owner wanted a decent home for him.
  First he was big,,very big, I was told,, and he is not keen on strangers,,  We arrived at the compound and D shouted ,,Helgaaaaaaaa.. The next instance this bear bounced of the wire fencing..Yes he was big  very big but he was also long haired and maybe not as big as he looked. He was super confident and steady. We kept walking around the compound and talking and getting the dog used to my voice and accent before putting him in the car. So after 20 minutes D puts him in the back of my car and I am in the front drivers seat. I drop D off and head home and as I am about to drive away he says to me, If you get out of the car, take him out on the lead with you because he will never let you back in, unless you both get in together,,  Lips Sealed.
  I drove the 5 mile and fed him,,then I tried to groom him but his coat was was tatty and needed quite a bit of work. I did cut the worst tats off, wiped him down with a damp cloth . He slept well that night, no howling or complaining,I groomed him each day when I got back from work, walked him and fed him and came to the conclusion that he was no fool and had the making of a really good one.
  I had several people wanting good Shepards and one was a lass who worked in a filling station on the Upton road. She was young and it was her first job and she was mad about my top dog P. She had no hesitation opening the back of my station wagon and stroking P and chatting to him. P was not particularly friendly but he liked her a lot. So I got Helga ready for a demo at the filling station.
 These things happen..Like 4legged Biff falling for Xena the blonde at first sight and falling asleep at her feet,,just like that.. This was how it was at the filling station, I hauled Helga out and asked the girl,
  "So what do you think" I did not notice the tears at the start. She repeated that she had no money to pay for him. She was hugging this guy Helga like mad and he was wagging his tail, the first time I saw him wagging it. I asked her could she afford to feed him and she said a big yessss.
  I knew her circumstances, her mother lived in an upstairs masonette ,She was an invalid,and could not leave the premise because she used a wheelchair to get about. She had to endure twice weekly visits from thieves who ramsacked her rooms and stole anything of value, while she sat in the wheel chair and watched, they entered the premises through a rear window above a flat roof,easily accessible from the rear garden because the garden sloped down.. if she locked the window, they broke the glass.(nice folks)  This girl was the carer and the breadwinner. She would walk Helga the 3 mile home and to get to know him. I supplied her with a decent lead .
  Helga enjoyed the thieves visits until they stopped calling. He would wait until they were on the roof and the mother would let him go. The thieves always just managed to reach the back wall and destroy themselves trying to get over it, Helga could bounce down into the garden from the flat roof. He could bounce back up on the roof with very little effort. Sometime he came back with a shoe and I guess they must have worked it out that the shoes were costing more than they were able to steal. I tanked up at her filling station each weekend and got the news on his progress. She had my number if she ever needed to call me but she never had to call, which was excellent. Then she went on night shift and got paid for Helga as well.
  Sometimes she would call him over to say hello but he just looked through me. He only had eyes for her. She worked there for a few years and then I noticed that she had not been about for a few months and asked how she was and was told that she had changed address, her buddy Helga was going strong and I was satisfied with that. At the start, I was going to try and persuade her to change his name but then I had a think about it and suggested that she let it stay,,If ever she was in a tricky situation at home,she could always ask "Do you mind if I ask Helga,? and call him. and Helga it was.
    I could not possibly keep him myself, I already had two very good Shepards and I was reluctant to cause any upset by bringing in Helga...He would simply want to be boss and my P would never allow that. It all worked out good in the end. The lass was a natural dog handler, She assured me she never had a dog in her life before..she was no way foolish and the dog took to her immediately.h
                                                                                        Biff
  Some of the people who asked me to find them a dog, You could easily tell that their best bet was a gold fish but you would never tell them that. A lot of them would be self confessed dog experts who would give you a lesson on how to approach a cross dog, how to get round it. The question was,why had they not been eaten alive already. The obvious answer to that one is. Our canine friends are a lot smarter than we give them credit for and the fool will get a pardon for a little while. Grin.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: