navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 111091 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #390 on: November 27, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »

A decent age Stan its sad when they start to slow down.
With luck a few years left yet. Grin

The original Tod became very choosy about when to venture out loved the wind hated rain.
Had this sort of off you go then, see you later look and when he really didn't want to go would turn his head away.

Quite tough walking where you are?

Going to be interesting to see if Biff and I start leap over stiles on the new tablets!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #391 on: December 09, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »

In this clip it suggests that you ask whether the pill is suitable for splitting Tod. The cat overcoat seems a good idea.
http://icatcare.org/advice/how-give-your-cat-tablet
Muggins here always volunteers to hold the cat whilst Herself administers the pill, AND I always get shouted at for holding the cat at the wrong angle, AND the pill usually ends up on the floor.
Stan

The squirty down the throat stuff was a good one for us with our ginger to55er (that was on of his names) ..it was fast, & after years of towels & claws experience similar to stanns, quick, ..apart from the "deathly looks" as he sat drooling some of the stuff for the next 20 minutes, ...hate filled, ..you can imagine the indignity he felt.  hysteria ...god I miss that cat so much.

Last night was needle night for my beloved protector at 10. 3/4 year old girl laying beside me  as I write, she was ready.

First time in 15 years we've been without a red boxer, & she was the last of the docked tail, ...catching my breath as I measure out their scrambled eggs this morning, routines dashed, & emotions.

Once again to reiterate, the corpse was brought home, the 2 youngsters were allowed their time, they knew the decline, but needed the closure of knowing / smelling that she was gone.  ..this morning they are doing better than me, ..that's good.

So now to wrap her & get her into a freezer (don't think bad of me, she's no more & she go's with dignity) ..prior to us taking her to the sadly kerosene burning crematorium at Duxford.

The difference between allowing her to go (she was filling up with fluid, heart, kidneys packing in, bladder "gone" lost 6 kilo's & all her muscle-tone in the past 14 days, ...always been a solid muscular person, down to 26kg ..no fat when we weighed her last night. ..compared to the feeling that we had our last "boy" ripped from us before his time made for such a difference in acceptance, ..i'm blazing with fury for the other dog to this day, ..it isn't healthy.

She good as told us she was ready to go & wasn't comfy with her bladder, it unsettled her to have to be put out really frequently.

So, after today with all the washing (blankets) ..the washing machine gets a rest, but the feeding stations placements dropped by another 25% in such a short time ..which made me choke.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:18:27 AM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS ..it is, & always has been about the environment (said the penny-pinching Scotsman)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #392 on: December 09, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »

Very sad GUS.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #393 on: December 09, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »

Oh Gus I'm so sorry for you and the family
Tod

M

« Reply #394 on: January 13, 2017, 10:12:56 AM »

Great call yesterday from the training team at Guide dogs in Leamington. Little Fifi is doing great and will graduate from their training in the next week or so. Then she moves on to advanced training and being matched up with her partner.

Hopefully this link will work

https://www.facebook.com/leamdogcare.000/?fref=ts

if you scroll down just a page you'll see 9 photos on the RHS, and Fifi is in the middle smiling (black Lab cross). [Edit: Now bottom left, and will presumably keep changing. M.]

Her trainer told me yesterday that they've been walking the streets in full harness and wearing a blindfold. Bet Fi looks cute with a blindfold on, but it must make the job much harder!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:11:03 PM by M » Logged

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #395 on: January 14, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »

extrahappy genuflect genuflect

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #396 on: January 14, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »

Well done M,
            You have done a good job. genuflect
                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #397 on: January 14, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »

Well done M,
            You have done a good job. genuflect
                                          Biff

TBH, it's quite a relief, as we just sent a happy/doppy 14 month old pup off to school. We had no idea if she was a good un or not, and apparently it's almost impossible to tell, till they get to school, and decide if they want to do it or not.

We'd have felt sad, but also guilty if she hadn't made it, silly as that may seem.

Wifey is going up in 4 weeks to see her train in full harness. Apparently you hide and watch sneakily, so as not to put the dog off, before being introduced to them afterwards. It's too far for me to travel, as I can't sit for long in a car, but Wifey will video it for me.

Still hope to get our own dog this year, but need to see how I'm doing to get an idea on size (for pulling) and also for home activity. Never considered one before, but all the whippets I meet are lovely, and the owners say that they burn out on a run, so are quite quiet at home. Cockapoo still top of the list, though I'd prefer a Labradoodle, but again size is an issue. If I could it would be a Rottie, Mastiff, or Irish Wolfhound. I fuss a Dogue de Bordeaux (Turner & Hooch) every day when I pass the gate, and I love them to bits, but their life expectancy is only about 6yrs, and that would upset me too much.

At the moment I'm happy with my daily walk round the lake/park. I always come back with muddy paw prints on me, a great measure of success.

RIT

« Reply #398 on: January 15, 2017, 01:42:29 AM »

Still hope to get our own dog this year, but need to see how I'm doing to get an idea on size (for pulling) and also for home activity. Never considered one before, but all the whippets I meet are lovely, and the owners say that they burn out on a run, so are quite quiet at home. Cockapoo still top of the list, though I'd prefer a Labradoodle, but again size is an issue. If I could it would be a Rottie, Mastiff, or Irish Wolfhound. I fuss a Dogue de Bordeaux (Turner & Hooch) every day when I pass the gate, and I love them to bits, but their life expectancy is only about 6yrs, and that would upset me too much.

Maybe a Golden Retriever as their life expectancy is nicer and when I last lived with one, sit/stop was a command they would follow, even if the look you got was one of 'YOU WHAT - I was having fun and the muddy puddle over there is where I want to be'. Such a beast is part of my retirement plans in a few years time, but I need more free time, a better location and fewer carpets around the house.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
heatherhopper

« Reply #399 on: January 16, 2017, 02:59:10 PM »

Cockapoo still top of the list

Highly recommended even though I don't hold much with all the fashionable mixing going on. This one came as a rescue case and was a "failed" hearing dog - something about being over-possessive with toys etc, a trait which disappeared very quickly with some "firm" guidance. Probably the quickest learner I've ever had but needs an awful lot of activity. Slotted in with the rest of the pack beautifully and keeps us all from decaying too fast. Doesn't cast his hair which is a blessing of sorts. Note supposed colour is peach but most of the time you wouldn't know.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #400 on: February 19, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »

Old Bryn isn't one for the hill climbing these days, although where we live you're going to have to climb a hill somewhere on the walk. So, along with Moll we'll do about 3 miles first thing in the morning. It's all about sniffing and pi$$ing really, the dogs that is, although I sometimes join in. We just go that bit slower now. The reward is to fill our faces when we get back home. However, around midday, I have to remember to go and pick up Betfred from the farm. She's the one on my solar farm post. I put her on a long lead to walk down the hill on the road along with Moll who is walking free. This is because Bett is as nervous as hell if we should meet anyone walking or a horse but also because she's itching to round up sheep. It's quite clear that she has been mal-treated by whoever trained and sold her. Then, at the brook, we cross the hump-back bridge and enter the meadows. Another 2 fields and we cross the narrow footbridge to the church and they are back on their own farm, with no sheep visible on the route to their quarters. I release Bet, the dogs both sniff around in the reed tufts of the marshy area, then one of them starts the race which takes them up a very steep hill, back home, at a heck of speed. I can see them all the way and hear them barking when they get there and meet the other 3 collies in cell-block A. Myself, I seem to arrive about 10 minutes later, huffing and puffing.
I shut up Bett and we go home to Bryn, who is quite pleased to have missed all the excitement.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2017, 08:04:45 AM »

Lovely post Stan.
Our routine is similar, up coffee, out with Elliott. We have two regular morning strolls, the moose walk which has deer wild pigs and guess what!  You very rarely get a glimpse but in the snow the tracks are plain to see.  Our neighbour puts out waste food from the supermarket everyday for the wild boar and they turn up between 17:30 &18:00 to eat it. The other is called the ridge walk we can do either from the back door with no car.  They take about 45 mins, a couple of times a week we do a longer walk up to a couple of hours. He then gets another walk late afternoon. Elliott has extended lead 5m as dogs here are not allowed to run free we do go down to local lake accessed by a dirt track not near anyone or anything and we can let him off.
No where is flat but it is undulating rather than hilly and woody everywhere.

Today our friend who runs an alpaca farm and offers guided walks has asked for help as she has a group of 16 and a 2 and a half hour walk, we will help put the head collars on and then ride shotgun at the rear, there is a brown alpaca called Tobasco  and we have 'issues' he spat out his vitamins solution and had to be redone and tries to kick while you are doing it. Attitude problems.  I have to say generally much nicer than sheep, the snow has now gone so should be fun.  Elliott will come too !! Our friend thinks this is a good idea??? Hummmmm.

All that exercise probably means you have a shiny coat and a cold damp nose as well Stan.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »

You guys are the real athletes,
                               We just dander about.15 minutes 4 times a day, Grin They know the circular route better than I do.
 Both dodge the mud and puddles better than I do. Both sleep like logs,,,,,,,,Better than I do.
  Watching TV can be exciting though, Especially when that Caesar dog food add come on,   Shocked Shocked
                                                   Biff

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:18:57 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #403 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »

Just had a phonecall from Guide Dogs, and Fifi has qualified. She's been training with her GDO (guide dog owner) for several weeks now and today made it to the finishing line, so to speak.

The good news for Fi is that the young lady has been able to keep her 10yr old retired GD, so Fi will have a housemate, and also the lady has a boyfriend who also has a guide dog, and lives nearby, so she'll spend a lot of time with two dogs, and also be working with another dog when out walking.

Hopefully I'll get a picture I can post, but in the meantime here's a pic from the early days, and one of her on her last day with us.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #404 on: April 24, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »

You did a good job Mart,
                  Fair play to you, genuflect
                                  Biff

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: