navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 114796 times)
M

« Reply #555 on: January 21, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »

Hi Mart,

A shame about Puddin but at least knowing he gets on with dogs should help with his credentials towards finding his fur-ever home.

As for the pic of Flash and Buster, that's definitely an ooh.  OK Buster is being smart and avoiding thumps from 'the boss' but still a great pic Smiley

Ian.

Thanks Ian, and good news, Puddin has been rehomed and the new owners have sent an update saying that he's settled in, and already in charge of the two collies! Cool.

So here's the new boy (temporary).

This is Casper. he's been at the shelter for about 2 months but does nothing, absolutely nothing. He finds somewhere to hide and then hisses at you when you get close, but then just turns into a granite lump whilst you stroke him.

Decided today that I couldn't watch him struggle anymore, so we've brought him home for some TLC to see if that brings him out of his shell. Couldn't get him out of the rescue cat nest tower, even after turning it upside down, so had to tie a sheet around it, and take the whole thing home.

30mins of laying next to the nest and stroking his chin and ears and he started to purr. Went downstairs to get the litter etc, came back and he hissed like hell at me again. Oh well, early days.

He's been to the vet 3x but they can't find anything wrong, so we think he's just shutdown being in a pen with other cats around. Some like it, some get scared but come round, but occasionally you get one that just can't cope.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Tigger

« Reply #556 on: January 21, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »

Great news about Puddin Smiley

So you have another challenge, I hope Casper works out well for everyone, just keep working your magic on him and hopefully he'll suddenly start to change.  We took on a little girl who was 6 months old but terrified of people, always ran to the back of the cage in the rescue centre so of course nobody really wanted her.  We took her because we wanted her to have somewhere to feel safe even if she never took to 'us' as being part of her family.  For the first few days she hid away in places we didn't think were big enough to get into but we kept at it and slowly but surely she accepted us and now she lays on my lap whilst we watch a bit of TV.  She's the smallest of the four cats in our 'family' but she has the biggest attitude and rules the roost..... 

I admire your determination and perseverance Mart, and the fact that you want to do the best for these 'special ones'.

Keep up the good work.

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #557 on: January 22, 2019, 06:36:21 AM »

I know where you're coming from with the scared ones. At least a safe house means they hide in peace. My neighbour and cleaning partner is great for the kittens and small cats like that, but they've had to call a halt to doing anymore as her husband gets too attached and upset when they get adopted. It's a shame because he obviously has the knack as they all work their way to him for cuddles over a few evenings. Plus they have 3 cats and a small dog which are all social, so the cats can prosper. Two of the cats and the dog are from the rescue ...... too hard to let go!

Currently there are 3 huge looking, but actually quite light Burmese cats. Massive, massive coats, two of which will probably get shaved today due to matting. They look grumpy, and I expected 'diva's' but they turned out to be 3 of the sweetest cats I've ever met. One followed us round for nearly 2hrs yesterday as we worked, checking out what we did, and asking for a fuss every 10mins or so.

I also meet several dog foster'ers on my walks with Buster, lot of re-homed Greyhounds at the moment. You don't realise how much goes on in your community sometimes.

Edit - BTW, Casper hasn't shutdown, we've heard several large thuds from the living room ceiling where he must be jumping down from the windowsill (looking for an escape route?) But he's always back in the tower when we enter, and always greets us with a huge hiss as we approach, but no bites, scratches etc.. He's definitely a complicated little fellah. No idea if he'll come round, but we really don't know what to do with him. He can't be released back onto the streets (like some of the psycho ferals, after neutering (trap and release)) as he doesn't seem to be a street cat, but can't be re-homed if he won't interact at all, and might leg it at the first opportunity. Fun and games.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:33:02 AM by M » Logged

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #558 on: January 22, 2019, 08:16:57 AM »

My sister's cat didn't like me at first. I was feeding the cat/watering plants/house sitting one week. The cat watched me everywhere from a safe distance but wouldn't approach. I sat on the back doorstep nibbling a piece of lean ham pretending to ignore her, then flicked a 3/8" piece into the gap between us. Curiosity won, Tess had to have a look and sniff. Next bit closer, and closer. Twenty minutes later she was on my lap purring and having her head massaged. After that she was in the drive yowling every time she heard my car: "Where have you been? Where's the ham? Head-massage NOW!" She lived for 22 years and was a good friend, sadly missed.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
M

« Reply #559 on: January 23, 2019, 07:13:16 AM »

My sister's cat didn't like me at first. I was feeding the cat/watering plants/house sitting one week. The cat watched me everywhere from a safe distance but wouldn't approach. I sat on the back doorstep nibbling a piece of lean ham pretending to ignore her, then flicked a 3/8" piece into the gap between us. Curiosity won, Tess had to have a look and sniff. Next bit closer, and closer. Twenty minutes later she was on my lap purring and having her head massaged. After that she was in the drive yowling every time she heard my car: "Where have you been? Where's the ham? Head-massage NOW!" She lived for 22 years and was a good friend, sadly missed.

I have been feeding some nice looking lumps out of his foodbowl, when he's in the 'tower'. He took the bits and left holes in my finger (my fault, too much liquid).  laugh

He's hissing less, and purring more. Last night, after about 20mins of gentle fuss, he half-flipped in his hidey hole, and I risked a belly rub (his, not mine), which went down very well.

Starting to wonder if he might be partly deaf or blind, not uncommon in some white cats (and dogs/rabbits), hence his hissing and fear.

Anyways, sorry for all the waffle, just think silly, good news (hopefully) stories are nice sometimes.

I'll update when we get somewhere, but a pic/video of him fussing/being fussed outside of the cat tower would be an achievement, just hope it's not asking too much. If we can win him over, then he can be put up for adoption for folk who'll be willing to win him over, something Anna (of ARC - Anna's Rescue Centre) can't do at the moment as we really don't know what we have!

Tigger

« Reply #560 on: January 23, 2019, 08:54:35 AM »

Mart,

It's not waffle, keep sharing all the good news, great to know Casper is beginning to relax a little.  Interesting comment about the deaf/blind issue with white cats as we took in a white cat from one of my cousins who was having to move house and he went temporarily blind (the cat, not my cousin).

Nickel2,

Great story about your sister's cat, playing on her natural curiosity and being rewarded with a friend for life, just wonderful.

We need lots of good news stories Smiley

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #561 on: January 25, 2019, 06:39:30 AM »

With all that is going on at the moment it is a joy to read something normal.
Carrying on posting Looking forward to hearing of progress.

Trexie the cat was born in a cellar we got her at 8 weeks  ferral. She lived upstairs hiding for a few weeks. During the night she would come and crawl under the duvet  and sleep next to our feet before sneaking off at dawn. The food bowl being emptied every day.
We eventually tempted her downstairs but she never gave in to selling her soul.
She is 14 now and runs the house very occasionally she will sit on my lap but rarely. Her preferance is to arrive for an ear tickle before settling on the arm of my chair.
Elliott (collie) is fascinated by her and they have a love/hate relationship. She bops him for no real reason and then will miaow loudly at him sleeping in his bed to get his attention.
She does not like being picked up, but will converse with me. Rather along the lines of skippy the kangeroo!
She agrees to share her house with us, in return for food but on her terms.
Good luck

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Tigger

« Reply #562 on: January 25, 2019, 07:42:54 AM »

Tod, what a lovely story about Trexie and who she allows to share 'her house', very rewarding and also a great demonstration of feline independence and subtle control of their staff.  I love that she makes use of Elliot's bed to get his attention and remind him who the boss is Smiley

M

« Reply #563 on: January 25, 2019, 07:59:05 AM »

OK, by popular demand then, quick update. He's purring now within seconds of 'inserting arm in hole', but still shy/scared. He seems to love a good rough rub of his head, I put my hand completely over his head and just scrunch it while it he purrs. And after a 'borderline assault' of slowly forcing my hand under him and between his four legs to stroke his belly, he slowly relaxed, stretched out, and when I was able to really rub his chest/belly he started to flip over.

He's also nervously crawled out of his hole twice whilst I've sat there, but after making a show of putting new food in his bowl. When he loses confidence and scuttles back in, I get a whole raft of hisses, but he let's me fuss him, and goes back to purrs straightaway.

Anna is very happy, and we are getting more confident that he can be re-homed if he makes more progress. There will be folk willing to take on a nervous cat, and one that might not interact too much with them, but not fair to give them a cat that might leg it at the first opportunity, and we still don't know what he is. Have to say he's one of the most complicated cats I've met, and he's scared of something, so perhaps mistreated, not sure. Not sure if he has full sight, but his eyes look ok, but his hearing is fine as he scuttles back into the hidey hole when I walk up the stairs (we have a small camera set up to watch him).

There is a 'fun' video of me somewhere, last week shut in a large crate with five ferals. I was trying to fuss them all, 4 large kits and their mom, but they were all trying to dodge me, whilst I was on all fours and trying to keep the door blocked with my back end. So finally I just crawled in, locked it from the inside, and fussed them all (just a few light strokes). Four of them gave a few hisses, but tolerated some fuss, whilst the smallest hissed herself daft, but couldn't avoid a bit of contact. The idea is to get them a bit more relaxed with people, so they can be rehomed at a farm, or stables, where they can be fed, but live 'free' and interact with people if they want - a much easier life than a full feral which might only live for 8yrs or so.

But, I spend the whole video talking in a stupid voice and saying stupid things to keep em calm, so perhaps best left lost!  Embarrassed

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #564 on: January 25, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »

Oh Mart, imagine tempting us with a video you in a strange position speaking in a silly voice. What fun. Go on you know you want to! surrender
Do keep us posted and help keep us sane.

Tigger

« Reply #565 on: January 28, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »

Come on Mart, send the link, you can't tease us and then not deliver.......

M

« Reply #566 on: January 28, 2019, 06:11:14 PM »

Come on Mart, send the link, you can't tease us and then not deliver.......

I asked my cleaning buddy (Di from across the road) about it this morning, and asked if she could forward it, but she has sadly (oh what a shame) deleted it off her phone due to memory issues (phone's not her's) as she takes 100's of photo's as we work away, so that the good ones can be posted on the main site.

Just checked the site's Facebook page, as Di sent it to Anna (the boss) but no vid or stills were posted. I was in the crate again this morning, but only half in (Actually they now have two crates as we found that two were identical, same make and model, so the side doors could be lined up giving them more room. And please don't think too badly about the use of 'crates' they are very big dog crates, and the ferals go in these rather than the larger pens as you can corner them with a carry box, whereas in the big pens they run around you and are nigh on impossible to catch, especially when scared. Perhaps I'll climb in on Wednesday ..... just for a laugh and a photo opportunity! They are getting a bit calmer, still hissing at me, but not as quick to run away, really adorable.

Tigger

« Reply #567 on: January 28, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »

That's strangely convenient Mart and you somehow expect us to believe you.....

Still, another opportunity is awaiting so we're all looking forward to seeing the result Smiley

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #568 on: January 29, 2019, 06:31:55 AM »

How often have we heard of the vital video disappearing flyingpig  Grin Grin
Looking forward to seeing the new pics Mart.

M

« Reply #569 on: January 29, 2019, 07:07:19 AM »

One day when I'm famous, Wikileaks will try to track down the video of me locked in a cage with Tom, and four Queens!

[That's the clean version, as I was going to go with me trying to grab five pu .............. ddytats.  Shocked]

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: