navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 133608 times)
julian

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 07:18:40 PM »

Happy endings : )

We were amazed at how empty the place felt without a whippet following our every move.

(they make out they're telepathic - you decide to go to another room in the house, and, when you arrive, the whippet is there waiting for you - you nip back, thinking you might actually get a go on the sofa, and... there's a whippet there waiting for you!)

Custom CNC engraved control panels for diy projects - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »

Good stuff Julian, I do like a happy ending, Smiley

Sometimes I think "pets" do this to us just to make sure the "staff" are  paying attention, it's a kind of regular appraisal.

I hope you passed the test fingers crossed!

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2014, 08:57:03 AM »

It must be some sort of multiverse, experience the same thing weeding in one poly tunnel collie dozing in the heat. MrsT  planting up in the other poly tunnel,  comes in saying that the collie has been sleeping next to her.
Desp  you are the only person who 'gets' quantum mechanics on here is there an explanation?

Kidwelly South Wales
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »

Tod,

I have a feeling that this is an extension of Schrodingers dead/live cat in a box theory.

The box is substituted for a tin opener in my theory. You know how cats and dogs can be asleep so deep that they are in effect dead to the world, no amount of persuasion rouses them from slumber, but you only have to make a miniscule movement toward the kitchen draw containing a tin opener and they are almost instantly around the food bowls, it almost violates the causality laws.
Further evidence was provided by Jasper, our big stripey cat, he would be asleep on the wheel of my van, if I clicked the tin opener on a can of his favourite chum he was there in less time than it would take for the sound to reach his ears.

The only conclusion possible is that some animals can indeed be here and there at the same time, particularly when food is involved. Our next cat may well be called Photon!

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »

This is all very advanced thinking,
                             Way clean above my head,However,Our Nat who looks like a large heavy log with four little branches sticking straight outwith a couple of inches of pink tongue,will lie there
        without a move,,hour after hour and like desp says,the merest touch of a hand on her dish and she will twirl upright like Kung-fu,sniff the air and try guess. If it is just ordinary good nuts,she will sag back on the floor like a wounded bull,but if it is chopped chicken or steak with a dash of Bisto,Her little feet,go all twirly.
        How she knows what is being made ready for her dinner is a mystery ,even before I pick up her dish.She will drum on the floor.
   I have considered perhaps getting her dinner ready but not putting the goodies in it,But even I could not be as heartless as that hysteria.
        They have me well figured out.
                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
martin

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2014, 06:48:38 PM »

Young Roo, blissed out in the sun this afternoon, dreaming of Schrodinger's cat, (or in fact, any cat, rabbit, rat or bird daft enough to get within distance of a remarkably swift Jack Russell) Grin

* roosnooze.jpg (197.29 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 269 times.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:04:54 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
julian

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »

My partner was looking at one of those internet league tables the other day (quickest dog breeds) - dont know how accurate it was, but i think it had russels at about #6 or somthing.

Custom CNC engraved control panels for diy projects - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »

Thanks Desp, for your straightforward explanation, string and tin opener theory, the first time I have ever read such a lucid explanation !! Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »

It can't be much fun working in a fur coat during this hot weather and so I'm back to full-frontal spraying every couple of hours for the collies. They go berserk for the spray head and it's a job to stop them choking on a noseful whilst avoiding my hand becoming part of a meat sandwich. The trick is to spray above the head to make them rise up and then give full blast under the chest.
To me it's one of the most delightful things to see an overheated dog stand up to its chest in water whilst lapping same.
My collies are both predominantly black and yet one will find the shade whilst the other lays in full sun.
Stan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:32:39 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »

Reminds me of Our Rex,
                        My boyhood pal,Half cocker and half collie, He used to tag along with us when we went swimming in the river.In one large swimming hole there was a massive rock in the middle about the size of a piano,We used it for diving off.When things went quiet and we were drying off,he would swim out to the rock which was about a foot below the surface,crouch down in the water on top of it and wait for the swallow to skim the surface,Then he would leap into the air and try and nab them. The swallows were on to him immediately and would tease the life out of him.He would still lie there in the water,just his nose showing and his spaniel,s ears floating about like debris. He should have got something for his efforts but he never did. He also never gave up trying either.
   It only occurred to me many years later that maybe he was only playing. He loved the water just as much as we did.
                                                                                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
knighty

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 03:50:55 PM »

one of my parents German Shepards runs around so much he overheats even in the dead of winter
(a lot of the time he's running after my nephew on his ebike at 20+mph so that probably explains most of it)

after a lot run/walk he'll jump his front end up and come down with both paws on a frozen puddle to break the ice, and then he'll lie down in the puddle happy as larry

I've always wondered if it come from an instinct to break the ice to take a drink ?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »

It is to take a drink Knighty,
                             The wolf leaps straight up and comes down with his 4 paws tight together in a point and usually gets a result after 2 or 3 tries. They can tell how much force is needed. I have seen dogs do exactly the same,even 4 legged Biff used to practice this move when he was very young.
       It is also a generous playful courtship ploy "would you like a drink dear,Here we are" (perhaps the origins of "breaking the Ice")
    I always imagine that the Dog or Wolf that does this,is confident and happy,in fine fettle and up for a  good game or a hunt.
                                                                       Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »

Here's a contented scene of Bryn getting stuck into a cooked cow knee and his girlfriend Moll sleeping beside him. However, a theft is being planned. Their master has already sawn off a section of bone for Moll, placed it in front of her and she has shown no interest in it. Once master was out of sight she went off and buried it!
Now she is plotting to do the same with the big end. All it takes is patience. Bryn will go for a pee, or to bark at a passer-by and, during the distraction, the rest of the bone will be carried off and buried.
I have no idea whether they ever re-surface.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Greenbeast

« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »

ours get raw cow bones, they are always pleased to receive them, and we are pleased for the peace and quiet  Grin
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »

Cow bones cow bones? COW BONES?  that's awfully close to cow pie!  just you watch it Mr GB Wink

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: