navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 120085 times)
Tigger

« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »

Hey Mart, Christmas really did come early for you.  It's a shame the planned GDO was getting stressed by the situation, that's something I'd never really thought about before.

The chaos in your house must be wonderful though, please share some pics if you can Smiley

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »

Looking forward to the pics Mart Grin Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
M

« Reply #632 on: December 03, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »

Been meaning to post this news for weeks, but kept forgetting, so here goes - well, Mango and Kiwi the two 12yr olds whose story upset me a bit, got homed, and homed together. They are both sweet boys and will make fantastic lap cats for the new owner.

The rescue has been homing cats left and right lately, which is great news, and makes cleaning a bit faster, and leaves more time to fuss all the cats, especially any semi-feral ones, to get them used to people. Met a new boy yesterday, he was from Llanwern steel works and described as pretty aggressive, so I was straight in the pen for a fuss, as you do. He gave me 'friendly' eyes, and moved straight up to my hand. Started fussing him, and he started head butting my hand, so closed my eyes (despite wearing glasses) and lent in offering up my new grade one haircut, and he gave my head a big head butt. No idea why he was labelled aggressive, perhaps he was scared, or he's just playing it cool, whilst plotting against us.

....... LOL ....... so much for quiet, Wifey just rang me, and on the Facebook link turns out Anna (and her catch team) caught 8 out of 20(ish) semi-ferals last night, so I expect Wednesday's shift will be a tad busier, especially if they catch them all by then. These are cats that neighbours have been feeding after they were boarded out of a house (don't know the back story to that), so they'll need neuter/spaying before return, or re-home if they are sociable.

As requested, more pics of our kits and lodger.

So here are Buster (ours) and Vesper (lodging for Xmas) saying hello:

And here they are getting muddy with a guide dog pup, who after 13 months with the puppy walkers, goes off (today actually) to big school in Leamington

[Note - Buster is super friendly ...... but does enjoy eating carp, and I mean carp!]

Next we have Doyle examining the magic water spout, whilst Bodie tests out his camouflage:

And lastly, so much for my assumptions that they'd be small cats, as the mum was tiny. Here's Doyle next to Flash, who is an average to big male. The photo cheats with perspective, but the ginga ninjas at 7 months are only a bit smaller than Flash now, and growing fast.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Tigger

« Reply #633 on: December 03, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »

Lots of good stuff there Mart, keep the pictures coming:

Llanwern cat is definitely plotting for world domination, it's what they do  Wink  What a lovely story though, no doubt he was just scared when he was caught.

Keep up the good work, always makes me smile when I read your good news stories.

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #634 on: December 04, 2019, 06:46:04 AM »

Good story M what is the heat butting thing? Ours does it I've. always thought of it as permission to tickle behind the ears. Keep  the photos coming.

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #635 on: December 04, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »

Head-butt means I know/like/trust you, and feel safe and comfortable in your presence.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
M

« Reply #636 on: December 04, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »

Good story M what is the heat butting thing? Ours does it I've. always thought of it as permission to tickle behind the ears. Keep  the photos coming.

Hiya. I've found that some cats will tolerate a fuss, especially of their head, even if they are scared or ready to attack if particularly unsure of humans. But if they push their head into your hand, or bounce up of the front feet a bit, or give a good headbutt against my hand then they are enjoying the contact, not just tolerating it. Another 'test' I'll do as I'm building up my confidence is to stroke them all the way down the back to the tail - most cats and dogs like having the base of their back stroked or scratched, but if the cat is wary, that might trigger some reaction, and then stroking/gripping the tail lightly and giving it a slight 'pull', nothing hard just a friendly fuss/pull which cats seem to like. Basically, in my experience, if you muck about with the one end (out of six) that's not sharp, and they're not sure about you, they'll let you know.

The final test (for me) is a face down headbutt. I've no idea why, but this seems to involve more trust. Our own Flash having been caught and locked in for a week, and fussing me like crazy, got scared when I automatically went for a head to head butt and belted me two or four times (too fast to count). he was then scared that he'd upset me, but it was my fault. Now you can't stop him butting.

So, on Monday, having found the new boy to be very friendly, I just offered the top of my head to see if he was 'super' friendly, and he seems to be. Perhaps a head down (no eyes) approach is a form of aggression, I've no idea, and I wouldn't have tested him if he'd been at all wary of me. I was more curious how his description was at one end of the scale, when he appeared to be at the very extreme other end.

Perhaps he wasn't a feral all his life, but had gotten lost/abandoned, and wandered into the steel works, but was scared?

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #637 on: December 04, 2019, 09:36:46 AM »

The head butt is to be reciprocated, just like when a dog  butts your legs when you are sitting to say "come on, scratch that bit that I cannot / am too lazy to reach" ..it's a compliment & invite for bigger tickles with a cat than they normally endure, our cat (the mung) would prefer to do that on the bed where it was him stalking you almost via fixed eyes & striding purposely up the bed to head butt you, likely advance warning to prepare to make a big fuss of me human servant.

Also no doubt some saliva / gland based property markings & kitten play regression of a very relaxed cat.

I'm damned jealous you have 2 "ginger princes" Mart .
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:41:58 AM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #638 on: December 04, 2019, 12:11:20 PM »

I get the head butt and head positioned for the tickle under chin or behind the ears, can be followed by lightening left swipe claws out,and head butts again before you can stem the blood flow. Don't  you love em genuflect

M

« Reply #639 on: December 04, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »

So ...... Nickel (the steelworks cat who I got to name today) is even sweeter than Monday, after some purry cuddles he flopped over in a nest and tempted me with a big white belly, I know this trick, I call it the 'Bear Trap' as they grab your hand with all four paws and bite (nibble) whilst you are stuck wearing a cat ..... so of course I fussed his belly and he stretched out fully and then did a full rollover. Anna and I are convinced he's from a home, as even the friendliest ferals who've learnt how to play people for food don't usually let you rub their bellies. We have scanned him, and he doesn't have a chip, but will be posted in case someone has lost him. Really good idea to get pets chipped.

I've been given the job of popping down and fussing the 9 (semi) ferals brought in. Turns out there are a total of 20-30 from a hoarders house who had to be removed (the human). Today I tried to fuss six who were all hiding in the base unit in one pen, it's kinda an open cupboard to support the big worktop area where they can lounge and play and eat. The opening is too small to reach in, so I have to go head first in on my hands, whilst hoping they don't all explode, or go off like dominoes if one explodes. They were all good and let me gently stroke them, a couple kept hissy popping and growling, but were kind enough to just stay still and get it over with. So I'll keep doing that each day as they all seem like they could be re-homed and are used to some human interaction, even if it was a bit erratic.

So much for my big mouth on Monday saying it looked like being a quiet December, and confirming I was OK for the Xmas morning shift.  wackoold

[Who am I kidding, as 'jobs' go, it's hardly hard work.]

M

« Reply #640 on: December 06, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!

Nickel's gone! Went to give him a fuss today after traumatizing all the ferals, and he's gone, but the good news is that by complete coincidence I met a lovely couple yesterday who'd gotten the time wrong for a visit, and I happened to be there cleaning the lane of rubbish, old pallets, general detritus, so I gave them a tour, and they fell in love with Nickel. And today I saw their names on the adoption form, so a very, very fast in and out for the lovely purry furry.

Thought you might like some pics, so I took the camera and took one photo of two of the feral, as I didn't want to stress them all up. There were seven there today, and they all let me touch them, but were clearly scared, and these two were slowly sliding backwards and up the wall to get away from 'the Hand'.:

Then, back at the main building, and after getting over my disappointment (and total happiness) at Nickel's absence, I decided to pop in and see how our latest mum was getting on. She had kits on Tuesday, and I've avoided getting too close to her in case she got stressed, but on Monday she was a very, very sweet balloon, so today I crept up to her, she gave me a few hisses, but when I reached out to her she immediately started to fuss in my hand and rollover and purr. I think she was glad of some company and perhaps proud to show off the babers.

Get ready for some Awww's!

Edit - Just to say, I didn't grab a kit, it crawled up her and onto my hand as I was fussing her head.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:54:16 PM by M » Logged

Tigger

« Reply #641 on: December 06, 2019, 01:05:06 PM »

Oh wow,

Great news on Nickel, the dilemma of loss but happiness that he's got a new home Smiley

Yes, lots of Awwwws with the little ones......

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #642 on: December 06, 2019, 01:38:12 PM »

Amazing so small, great pictures M, good and sad news on Nickel, delighted that he has found a forever home so quickly. Looks like you are going to have your hands full.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 [43]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: