navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 144114 times)
Tigger

« Reply #660 on: January 08, 2020, 08:02:48 AM »

Hi Mart,

Another good start to my working day with your updates, thank you.

Great news for Mango, fingers crossed for Tibbie the Tabby  Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #661 on: January 08, 2020, 12:32:07 PM »

Great work you and your colleagues are doing Mart.

Until I saw one I had always imagined a weasel to be ferret size, and in my minds eye a badger in the opposite direction smaller than in the reality. We have chums in Stourbrige that have badger visitors every evening for food. I sat quietly by the patio doors as instructed  and about half nine the badgers came to feed, about two feet away completely unconcerned. My chums said in Summer if they are having a drink outdoors (rare in Stourbridge) the badger goes to the food ignoring their presence. Wonderful.

Kidwelly South Wales
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #662 on: January 09, 2020, 09:53:51 AM »

https://sw-ke.facebook.com/minhpianoglobal/videos/538165873584151/

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
M

« Reply #663 on: January 12, 2020, 08:13:37 AM »

Lots of Tibbie news, and for starters turns out I've been using his nickname, he's actually called Mr Tibbs, or should I say "They call me MISTER Tibbs".

So, on Thursday, another nice breakthrough, whilst I was fussing him, and had gotten him warmed up and purring, I was scrunching his head with my hand and rubbing my fist into the left side of his head, when he started to lift his head up, so I stayed still to see what he'd do, and he lifted his head over my fist, rubbing his chin on my hand, then placed his head back down on the other side of my hand, before stretching his head out and rubbing my hand, then he did it in reverse, slid his head back up and over my hand, before rubbing down the other side. Lots of purring. So more confirmation that he likes to be fussed, not just tolerating it. Also, sometimes cats come in that have not been fussed by humans, so they're not sure what's going on at first, before they realise that they like it, and can use us as their own personal 'hand monkeys' by simply throwing out the odd purr or two.

Friday, he was in a little cat nest on a lower shelf, so i fussed him till he seemed happy, then sat down on the floor, and pulled the whole nest out and placed it on my lap. He was ready to run, and slightly panicked, but settled back down, and eventually seemed to enjoy what I'm going to cheat and call 'lap cuddles'. Then I popped the whole nest and Tibster back on the shelf, and fussed him for a while before leaving.

Saturday, Anna rang me to say a lady was coming down to meet him and could I be there to warm him up and explain the situation. The lady was great, she's had a feral kitten before and knows it can take a long time to win over their trust. I showed that he can be fussed even if he hisses at you - just a defence mechanism, but he never follows through with any scratching or biting - he's just scared. She fussed him and thought he was lovely. I was 100% honest, explained that in my opinion, not Ann'a, nor the charity, that I have a strong gut feeling that there's a very sweet house cat in there that will probably turn into a very loving friend and really appreciate a safe home.

She than said something wonderful - "I think he needs to come and live in my house" - damn right he does.   extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy

She was heading elsewhere yesterday, so Anna said she'd drop him over today. So I'm popping down late morning to give him a last fuss (from me) and help to pop him in a box, shame his last interaction with me will be for me to scare him, but them's the breaks as they say, and he'll be off to a safe home, with experienced owners, where he'll probably come out of his shell even faster.

Right .................. who's next?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #664 on: January 13, 2020, 06:31:42 AM »

Great post Mart and a lovely start to my day.  Wonderful  news about MR TIBBS.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #665 on: January 13, 2020, 07:45:27 AM »

A sad farewell yesterday. He purred within seconds of my starting to fuss him, and in less than a minute was turning his head into scrunches and scratches from my hand. After a while he let me tickle his belly, then half flipped so I could rub his belly properly with one hand, whilst scrunching his head with the other. We spent a good 10mins doing this, and I made him promise to be good at his new home, and to be careful.

He was scared and upset when we popped him in a basket, and he cried a few times, but I fussed him and apologised for doing this and tried to explain (not sure he understood).

Hopefully we will get some pics of him chilling at his new home once he settles in. He's definitely a gentle soul, so it might take a while, but he'll get there.

And the cycle starts again, as three cats came in yesterday from a house where the owner has passed away. All adults, a very friendly ginger and white who I was able to pick up and cuddle, a terrified tortie who was still in the carry bag (that sounds wrong!) which was on the floor and unzipped and open, but she was pressed against the back and playing 'if I can't see you, you can't see me' by tucking her head in the corner, so I fussed her whilst she growled away. And number three was a stunning all white fluffy thing, that took up residence in a play tube and hissed at me as I approached it, but then stretched forward to head rub my hand. She continued to hiss and growl and show me all her teeth, but also seemed to want a bit of fuss and reassurance. I only tentatively fussed her head, no way was I putting my arm down the tube to fuss the rest of her, I may be crazy but I'm not stupid!  whistlie

Tigger

« Reply #666 on: January 13, 2020, 08:50:17 AM »

Good morning Mart,

Well you've done it again, another great start to the working week with the wonderful new of Mr Tibbs (gotta love that proper name) going to his new experienced carer.

Thank you,

Ian.

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #667 on: January 14, 2020, 08:36:14 AM »

Yesterday I found my pain limit. I can take some quick swipes, scratches and the odd bite, but my endurance was worn down by an ~8 week old kitten. It was incredibly friendly, screamed at us all morning as we cleaned the place as he was lonely. He was in a large crate in the multi cat room, but wasn't loose as the other cats were all new and adults (the three I recently mentioned). Very rare we have just one kitten, as they love to be together and play, but he'll get adopted very, very fast.

He (I assume it's a boy, but gingers can be female so long as they have some white on them) started off shaking/trembling when we first picked him up, so he was a tad nervous, but the screams told us he really wanted some attention.

Back to the pain, he wanted to be fussed and cuddled, but wouldn't stay still, he was like an eel, up chests, over shoulders, around necks, non stop. And all of this achieved via his built in velcro mechanism ...... 18 tiny little needles. I tried my best to endure, but eventually I said to my cleaning partner 'I give up, I can't take the pain anymore, he's got to go back in the crate, this is like "death by a thousand cuts"'.

In total he got to fuss and run around for about 30mins, and slowed us right down as he was always in front of our feet for every step we took. My skin was prickling for a good 30 mins after. No marks at all, but similar to cuddling a stingy nettle bush.  Wink

Yesterday evening Wifey asked me if I planning to sneak a third ginga and white into the house. Turns out cleaning partner had posted pics of our love fest. AWWhhhh moment coming up:

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #668 on: January 15, 2020, 06:03:37 AM »

aah!   Grin Wink

Kidwelly South Wales
Tigger

« Reply #669 on: January 15, 2020, 08:02:53 AM »

Mart,

That little one is just so cute, I can't imagine it's going to take long to find him a furrever home.

The built in velcro of kittens is amazing isn't it, doesn't leave any marks but you certainly feel it Smiley

Keep up the good work  Grin

M

« Reply #670 on: January 15, 2020, 04:11:08 PM »

Mart,

That little one is just so cute, I can't imagine it's going to take long to find him a furrever home.

I popped down on Tuesday after lunch to fuss the kitten as I was worried he'd be lonely. I came up with a cunning plan to avoid the 'needles of pain' by lying down on the floor of the office (where he'd been moved to and allowed to roam free). The plan was that I'd pop him (he is a he) on my chest for a fuss ...... plan failed, the super friendly cat roaming free in the main area, rushed into the office, jumped on my chest, pushed her head against my chin and settled down for a nap!

The best laid plans of mice and men ....

Anyways, he got lots of fuss but when I popped down today for my cleaning shift he was gone, he was adopted on Tuesday afternoon. So you are kinda right that it won't take long, but kinda wrong too, in a great way, as he'd been snapped up before you get your fingers typing today.

Also, the mum and her kittens are back. The kits are big, and very fluffy too, so they are back at the cattery so folk can see them.

And there's a giant rabbit, about twice the size of a large Tom, perhaps 20lb(?) called Roo, she's gigantic, quite friendly, but we've learned can't be loose at the same time as a cat as she confronts and corners them. She was found abandoned, lost .... not sure, so currently being advertised as a 'have you lost this rabbit'?

Tigger

« Reply #671 on: January 16, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »

Great news for the little ginger/white kitten  extrahappy

I remember at our last house a neighbour's rabbit escaped and found it's way into our garden and our cats really didn't like it as just like you described, it kept confronting our cats instead of running away which is what they were used to with other visitors to their hunting ground.......

Good luck with Mum cat and her kittens.

M

« Reply #672 on: January 16, 2020, 08:03:41 AM »

Mart,

But Wifey would miss me!

[I know it's too late, but the joke tickled me, and I had to share. M.]

Tigger

« Reply #673 on: January 16, 2020, 08:07:22 AM »

It's never too late to share a good joke Mart Smiley

M

« Reply #674 on: January 17, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »

Bodie and Doyle are now eight months old, and obsessed with the kitchen sink.

Please forgive the waste of water:

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: