navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 128682 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #675 on: January 17, 2020, 10:52:33 AM »

Ours is obsessed with my drinking glass, her own bowl and the dog bowl are poor seconds.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #676 on: January 18, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »

Ours is obsessed with my drinking glass, her own bowl and the dog bowl are poor seconds.

Does she dip a paw in the glass, then drink from the paw? Bodie does that if we have a glass of orange squash, and always the left paw.

Silly little factoid, but apart from humans*, male cats seem to be the only other animal that has a preference. Whilst we are roughly 90% right handed, male cats are mostly left pawed, whilst female cats will use left or right randomly. We noticed that Flash always used his left paw for anything, then saw it mentioned on a TV programme. Weird.

I'm not sure if it's just humans, or if 'great apes' are included and have a preference/dominance.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #677 on: January 18, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »

As soon as it hits the table head in, going to bed drinking water on bedside cabinet straight  there, good job I don't get fanatical about hygiene. Doubtless going to be told off whistlie.
Elliott also does prewash on dinner plates prior to the dishwasher. facepalm

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #678 on: January 19, 2020, 08:49:49 AM »

Bit of sad news, Mr Tibbs is coming back, he just hid and wouldn't interact at all.

But the good news is that we've found a right mug to foster him at home instead of going back to the cattery.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #679 on: January 19, 2020, 01:31:48 PM »

Wouldn't be you by chance i whistlie

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #680 on: January 19, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »

Wouldn't be you by chance i whistlie

Could be!

And no harm done, he hasn't gone backwards even an inch. Within a few minutes of my taking him and his hutch out of the travel cage, he was purring, and then started to rub my hand with his head, not bad after being bounced around and arriving in a strange place. I suspect the good lady was doing much better than she realised.

So, that's now 4 cats and 2 dogs here, plus my neighbour's 3 cats to look after whilst on holiday for 3 weeks, and as my neighbour is also my 'cleaning buddy' I'll be shorthanded at the cattery ...... who am I kidding, lots of lovely animals to play with, that's hardly working, and certainly not working hard.

Vesper is back in training next week, just two days to check he's OK and do any polishing, then I assume they'll be looking to match him with a new GDO (guide dog owner), ho hum.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #681 on: January 19, 2020, 08:02:35 PM »

Grin Grin
   Cannot help it Mart, I have this vision of you in a forensic type suit with mail head gear and mail trousers.
   Your poor hands  which are inside massive big gloves like boxing gloves, are all scrabbed with crazy patterns running in all directions,
  And  Tibbs is coming home, help help help
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #682 on: January 19, 2020, 09:54:52 PM »

No biff, the kitten scratches you wouldn't be without if it denied the little sods their pleasure, they are learning & a softie for a nice kittie will endure stripped flesh off the arms, it's our thing, no great hardship, just very prominent.

We used to say 6 months (potentially) of full on day weirdness for a feral kitten or a traumatised re-home, but you were always off to a flying start being "picked out" by a cat ...it's how we used to end up with them & sadly why I have a hard decade adjusting to live without my fantastic ginger t*ss*r.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #683 on: January 20, 2020, 06:22:55 AM »

Tibbs is coming home

Could be sung to the same chant as' footballs coming home '  wackoteapot

Hope it does well.

Kidwelly South Wales
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #684 on: January 20, 2020, 06:26:46 AM »

Mr G, I'm  sure Mart could find an ideal new friend for you. fingers crossed!

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #685 on: January 20, 2020, 07:43:02 AM »

Mr G, I'm  sure Mart could find an ideal new friend for you. fingers crossed!

I'll pop one in the post this morning.

There's a series of sketches on SNL (Saturday Night Live) based at 'Whiskers R Us' a cat charity, run by 'eccentric' cat ladies. Each sketch mentions their latest adoption policy, such as 'adopt one cat, get another free', 'adopt a cat and we pay you $40', but my favourite was 'we have a new adoption policy, we put a cat in your car when you're not looking'.  hysteria

Mr Tibbs is doing well. He still hisses at me, and gets ready to run each time I approach, but quickly purrs when fussed, and is rubbing his head against my hands, arms, and letting me fuss his belly. He seems to love to be touched, but is scared to be touched ........ last night when I was fussing him and he was really chilling, he rolled on his side and stretched out a paw to my face, and kept bopping me on the nose, quite gently, though he did get a claw caught at one point. It was a bit odd, but seemed very affectionate too.

Tigger

« Reply #686 on: January 20, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »

Hi Mart,

So sad news and good news for Mr Tibbs, I'm sure the two of you will make great buddies.  A shame the lady didn't persevere a little longer, it took us many weeks with Ellie to get her to stop hiding away in places we couldn't believe she'd managed to get into but now we have a very affectionate cat (on her own terms) who rules the roost.

Keep us posted with his progress and good luck with three weeks of cleaning and fussing all on your own Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #687 on: January 22, 2020, 07:47:30 AM »

Mr Tibbs is doing well, he has a safe place (on a shelf where he's protected from most sides). He loves a fuss, and is hissing less at me when I approach, even starting to chirp a bit.

Once he's in his safe place he'll let me fuss him, purrs within seconds and offers up the belly for big rubs:

M

« Reply #688 on: January 26, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »

Great news and progress with the Tibster, he lets me fuss him in the open now. Still hisses sometimes as I approach, but then headbutts my hand. He's met our ginga ninja's and getting on well with them, in fact he was desperate to play with them from the very first time a ginger head poked its way round the door for a nose. Tibbs chirps away and tries to get to them. Doyle made friends fast, but Bodie has been a bit nervous, but now joining in. In fact Tibbs is so easy going I've left his door open and given him the run of the house (cat flap blocked). He even made it to the bottom of the stairs where he met a giant nose poking through the spindles, belonging to Vesper. Tibbs had an odd look on his face, akin to 'what the hell is that?' Then he ran back up stairs.

Some cattery news, and our longest resident an old boy called Cyril has been adopted. His owner passed away, and he wasn't used to other people, so he's been a stroppy git for a long time, but recently decided to make friends with us all, and its been nice to see he has a friendly side.

Rufus the tip cat has sadly gone back to the tip after I 'grassed im up' to the boss. He's super friendly, but do anything he doesn't like/want and he will have a go at you, and it's not so much 'please don't do that' more 'prepare to die'. On Wednesday he cornered Cyril for the third time, whilst I was cleaning his pen, so I decided to put him back in. He was facing away from me, so I figured I could get a proper double hand hold onto his shoulder blades and behind his front legs, and carry him back. This may surprise y'all but it turns out a streetwise alpha Tom has slightly faster reactions than an overweight aging Welshman. In about 1 sec, he gave me approx 20 scratches and 2 sets of bites in my forearm which must have been pretty deep as the holes were about 3mm across. Little git.

So I let Anna know, and she was coming to the same conclusion, that as he settles in, he becomes overconfident and dominant. He would however make an ideal outdoor cat and pest control as he likes people and will take food, so the tip were happy to have him back on patrol.

Lastly, can I give a quick shout out to Pets at Home who presented us with a very (very) big cheque yesterday.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #689 on: January 27, 2020, 06:33:39 AM »

'Never trust a smiling cat' facepalm

Great story Mart.

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: