navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 144107 times)
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #690 on: January 27, 2020, 08:48:53 AM »

As soon as I went to you-tube after reading this ^^ , this was the first video that appeared:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAGfx7eB3gA>

Is there some sort of telepathic algorithm to what we watch in one channel and what comes up next?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
M

« Reply #691 on: January 28, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »

Massive progress with Mr Tibbs. I've been letting him roam more, and get to meet our cats. He chirps at any sight of a cat and tries to get to them. They had been hissing at him, but he seems to know all the rules, and makes a respectful approach, flops over, blinks away etc etc, so they've started playing with him.

If the catflap is closed downstairs then I've let Tibbs have the run of the house as he seems to treat his room as 'the safe place' so even after discovering the loft, he still came back without us having to find him.

Last night we decided to let him roam, rather than close his door, and during the night we woke to find him curled up on the bed. Later he was back again, and curled up next to Bodie (who had been particularly hissy earlier).

He's now running around his room and the landing like a nutter. He's still a bit hand shy, but also loves to be touched, and the later is steadily overtaking the former. Can't pick up yet, anything that he thinks is edging towards a pickup results in a four leg flap fest, but he's immediately fine, so will get there.

Needless to say that this one, perhaps more than any other is going to break my heart. The charity needs a short description of him, but can't use mine - "F'ing Delicious".  Shocked

Yesterday as Bodie finally decided to let the last of his guards down:

and a few minutes ago, whilst I was typing, and the sounds of a small tornado caught my attention:

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #692 on: January 28, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »

Go on Mart you know you want to!  Seems a real shame to have made all that progress and then rehome him again. Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #693 on: January 29, 2020, 07:25:53 AM »

Go on Mart you know you want to!  Seems a real shame to have made all that progress and then rehome him again. Grin

Wifey got home yesterday and said those four special words ........ 'can we keep him?'

She was in work and realised that one day she could come home to find he'd gone, been taken to a furrever home, and then realised how upset she'd be.

Being the man of the house, I put my foot down and said that three cats was more than enough, so looks like we now have four cats.  Shocked

Tigger

« Reply #694 on: January 29, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »

Fantastic news Mart, especially for the Tibster and his new play mates, yet again your updates have made my day.

Thank you  extrahappy

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #695 on: January 29, 2020, 05:01:39 PM »

Terrific  news brightened up my day.

Great to hear in these liberated times, that you remain master in your own home!! genuflect

I hope Mr T knows how lucky he is.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #696 on: January 30, 2020, 01:41:34 PM »

Thanks guys, I think Wifey made the right decision. I've never put so much work into a cat at the rescue (daily visits), but have brought some home before. Wifey pointed out that he needed people like us, but of course there are many more about, but also a cat or cats his own age to play with, as he's such a social little fellah.

Bad news for him though, we had to take him to the vet yesterday as his ears were very mucky, and sore, and Anna was concerned it could be mites. Fair play to the boss, she called it, and he needed treatment. But boy it was hard getting him in a carrier as he's still impossible to pick up, but we'll work on that. And met a gorgeous dog outside .... more to follow.

Today, after forgiving us, Tibbs made it to the bottom of the stairs and was playing with Bodie and Doyle at the front door. Vesper came to see what was happening, and was watching from behind the child gate that stops the dogs getting to the front door or up the stairs. When Tibbs looked round, he ran to the bottom step of the stairs, but then lent forward when Vesper stuck his nose through the spindles, and they had a brief nose touch. Vesper is such a nice dog.

Not sure what to call Mr Tibbs, the obvious(?) name was Cowley, but it's not a 'pretty' name, and Mr Tibbs has grown on us. Edit - Perhaps 'Hypodermic' as he got under my skin so easy?

....... back to us accosting random strangers on the street. We say this bloke with a gorgeous dog, which I thought was an American Bullie, and had a nice chat with him, and cuddled the lovely dog. But when we got home Wifey did some searching as he'd mentioned an attack and found a rather unpleasant story, especially for someone who obviously cares a lot about their dogs:

'Three men broke into my house, brutally attacked me, stabbed my dog and stole my puppy'

The great thing about volunteering with animals is that whilst you hear about horrible people on the news, you realise that for every unpleasant one, there is probably 10 or 100 that will go out of their way to help animals (or people), the World is actually a nice place.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:48:15 PM by M » Logged

M

« Reply #697 on: February 07, 2020, 05:59:18 AM »

update on mr tibbs who has improved every day. he's spent a lot of time saying hello to the dogs through the stair spindles and the child gate, but recently started sneaking arounf the downstairs when it's quiet. then he popped into the living room ang slwly hoped up onto the settee arm. and lay there queitly. when vesper came in i thouight he'd run away, but he just stayed there and they had a nice nose touch, really going well.

annoyingly, the bite i got off rufus two weeks ago kept getting worse and the forearm muscle started to complain quite a lot, so i had to go onto anti-biotics, but by sunday it wasn't getting better and the pain was a tad high eveb for me, so off to a and e. finally has first surgery yesterday, but because the infection went down into the muscle it had to be general, so i didn't get to watch it erupt, but apparrently it was quite impressive ........ i so wanted to stick a pin in it. heres a pick about a day before it reached maximum temptation:

i'm really lucky as they seem to trust me, so yesterday they let me come home, but i have to go in 3x day for iv anti-biotics and doctor checks. fingers crossed they'll let it close on it's own, as it's been left open for goo to escape, and i won't have to have another op.

one hand typing is a bit erratic  Grin

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #698 on: February 07, 2020, 08:10:47 AM »

Took about 18 months for the "slow sneak" through the baby gate, into the room & onto my lap for my "gingert osser" M so you are doing well.

The "frozen walk" across any distance in this manner had me tearing up with silent laughter at his daring, we dare not say a word & needed to let the literal "sleeping dogs" lie.

Within a few weeks the dogs were no longer launching themselves when they saw him, blood was still being drawn (scarred nose a speciality) & eventually became a two sided claw free game.

He's a fast adapter, your cat, knows what he wants (as they do).  whistlie

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Tigger

« Reply #699 on: February 07, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »

Hi Mart,

Thanks for the update on Mr Tibbs, good to see him settling in so well.

As for the swollen arm, that's a serious ouch there.  Hope it soon mends.....

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #700 on: February 07, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »

I think that you need a pair of welder’s gloves Mart for early contacts.

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #701 on: February 07, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »

Hi Mart
     Sorry to hear you got that bite of Rufus.
  Stann,s idea of protective clothing is a good one.
 Take care,
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #702 on: February 07, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »

Mig gloves are a good 'cheap bet' for manipulating recalcitrant moggies. Probably Mig, (Moggie introductory glove) rather than Tig. (Tiger introductory glove).
It says CAT II on the gauntlet part, but I don't know if that refers to the size of the cat, or strength of the bite. Mine are a lovely blue, and I've never been bitten whilst welding.   Grin

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #703 on: February 07, 2020, 07:33:09 PM »

On second thoughts, even those gloves would not have been long enough to avoid Mart’s wound so perhaps chain mail as well for the upper body?

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #704 on: February 07, 2020, 08:08:54 PM »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Tensile-Butted-Chainmail-Medieval-Voiders-Arm-Protection-Ideal0for-LARP/283239570758?hash=item41f264dd46:g:QYkAAOSwJ6Vb2yuf

Go the whole hog

Sorry about the arm M surrender

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: