navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 [48] 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 134694 times)
M

« Reply #705 on: February 08, 2020, 05:08:30 AM »

cheers everyone, getting ready to head back in for more fun and games, but the day release scheme is ideal, problem is infection and fever go hand in hand, and my temp was fine, but got a rotten head cold thursday night, so that's pushed me to about 37.9 and i have to stay in at 38, i'll be so pee'd off if i'm beaten by a bleeding cold.

last night tibbs climbed on to wifey's lap and settled for an hour or so. he's been curling up in the living room, and visiting us with head butts and chirps, but yesterday he actually settled. 6 dogs and cats all sleeping in the same room as us, nice to have such a social bunch ...... bit like navitron.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
M

« Reply #706 on: February 20, 2020, 07:24:00 AM »

Mig gloves are a good 'cheap bet' for manipulating recalcitrant moggies. Probably Mig, (Moggie introductory glove) rather than Tig. (Tiger introductory glove).
It says CAT II on the gauntlet part, but I don't know if that refers to the size of the cat, or strength of the bite. Mine are a lovely blue, and I've never been bitten whilst welding.   Grin

So ........ we now have super long cat gauntlets at both locations which go up to my elbows, and best of all they are quite flexible and soft so the cats (I've had a quick test) don't seem to mind them at all.

I think I've learnt my lesson this time, just finished all the different antibiotics but have to go to the doctors (nurse) 3x per week to have my 'arm-hole' washed out and repacked as it heals from the inside out, so probably another 3 weeks of that. But arm strength is fine, and most range of movement is back, and I'm tipyng a bit batter now!

So back to the kitkats and Mr Tibbs is now one of the family, really settling in, seems to adore Vesper (the dog), and runs around the house with Bodie and Doyle (the ginga ninjas) like a true nutter. He's also discovering all the best sleeping spots:

Dog bed, what's a dog bed?

Dog bed? Sorry I've still no idea what you mean?

Tigger

« Reply #707 on: February 20, 2020, 08:07:48 AM »

Definitely a lesson learned with the infection and treatment, that's pretty serious but good that you're on the mend.

Got to love those pics Mart and yes, it's good to see that you're typing batter too  facepalm

Mt Tibbs is a full on lap cat and fully integrated into the herd, perfect.

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #708 on: February 20, 2020, 09:15:03 AM »

Pleased to hear that you are on the mend.
I think Mrs T was a cat in a previous life she always gets the  best sleeping spots. Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #709 on: February 20, 2020, 02:19:50 PM »

I remember Ted Nugent's 'Cat scratch fever', googled it and found the 'Bartonella' group of nasties.
That is a potentially life-threatening bacterial infection and you are lucky to survive it; one form of Bartonella is meningitis...
I have been scratched hundreds of times by assorted felines over the years, so lucky to get away with it.
Feral moggies are less likely to be inoculated, or have systemic flea-killers in their blood-stream, so bigger risk.
As much as I love cats, I shall reconsider the way I approach straggly fleabags knowing the danger.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
M

« Reply #710 on: March 10, 2020, 11:41:51 AM »

Bits of news.

I've just come back from the nurse and I'm now officially 'better', just scab and a plaster now, as my arm-hole is no longer, and I'm back down to the usual number of orifices. Been watching a lot of the US Presidential nomination 'stuff' and all the talk about universal medicare, certainly makes you appreciate how great our system is, and the efforts they go to, to at least try to make it as painless as possible.

Yesterday was probably a record at the rescue. Nine people/families came down and reserved eight of the cats. Loads of work by Anna who does a house check on all inquiries before inviting folk to come and have a look. No idea how she does it all, and we're entering kitten season when she (and loads of fosters too) will have cats and kits in their homes to look after too.

Vesper has gone today to meet a potential GDO (guide dog owner). He's not the best (Vesper not the GDO), but he's so utterly loveable and social, that they've decided to see if someone who also wants a companion will put up with his personality over professionalism. If it works out, then I guess we'll be Vesper'less by the end of the month.  Cry

And the requisite cute photo of Mr Tibbs fitting in (literally) with other family members, one who'd like to have a quiet read but got somewhat mobbed:

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #711 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:35 AM »

Glad to hear that you’ve made a full recovery Mart.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #712 on: March 10, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »

Mart, good to hear you are healed up.

Worth buying some decent breathable duo-derm adhesive hydro-colloid dressing sheet that you cut to size.

Has helped me with a notorious Axe to the knee (a famous quote from the game skyrim spring to mind) wound of xmas eve years ago, a serious foot wound whilst abroad xmas year before last (boots felt right, but weren't right) ..grade 2 pressure sore, ..nice LARGE bit of messed up flesh! ...luckily we always take a decent mountain kit of which duo-derm is compulsory / silver dressing, iodine paste to keep bacteria down or away ..meant my knee healed super fast no visible scar plus sharp axe, & same again on the foot, meant healing time was aggressively fast compared to regular dressings.

(later found the rubbing was down to the boa wire tightener system in my boots, or rather "insufficient padding" in the boot lining in an attempt to streamline the boots size compared to older models)...though I bought them because they were bright purple.

Worth spending out on to "turbo" recoveries to days/ week compared to multiple weeks, skin hole regeneration is amaze-balls.
It is holy grail in my kit along with the seemingly mundane sterile water for gravel rash & general pre-treatment cleansing & the sort of thing to ask for when in that sort of infection state, NHS likely only keep it for royals these days  Lips Sealed

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #713 on: March 11, 2020, 06:10:07 AM »

Good to hear that you are restored to your former grandeur Mart  Grin

Thanks for the tip Gus genuflect

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #714 on: March 19, 2020, 04:03:38 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words.

Apologies if I'm taking over this thread a bit (a bit too much), but thought I'd blog some more animal news.

The virus that must not be named is hitting us from all directions. Guide Dog limitations meant using our porch as an impromptu air lock, shoving Vesper out, before closing the front door for the trainer to then come in and get him. So hard for folk like that, that mix with others, who also mix with others. Also all interactions with GDO's (Guide Dog Owners) has been stopped, so they face the problem of having trained dogs that haven't been moved on, and of course a breeding programme that means that new trainees are ready and waiting.

But for us, more change. Vesper just ain't good enough. They've tried and tried as he's such a lovely dog, but he's just not taking it seriously enough, stopping to look at things, perhaps a bird, even in mid road crossing, and of course for a blind person a dog that stops is (or could be) a warning of danger. So today they've called it quits with him as a GD, but ...... they want to train him as a buddy dog or companion dog ....... but back to that blooming virus, and nothing can happen for now. So he's our dog again, for a while, just to enjoy, and Buster and the cats will definitely enjoy having him around.

And the virus hasn't stopped there, as the cat rescue is now on a semi-lockdown. Most of Anna's volunteers are in risky situations, have elderly relatives, are elderly, or have children to look after, so she's decided to cut it down to just her and a couple of dopes who live close by (me and my neighbour/cleaning partner). She was going to try to do all 14 shifts herself, but we can't let her do that.

Wifey is now working from home (since Tuesday), and of course the kitkats are helping:

I appreciate that all of these issues are trivial compared to the serious health concerns many face, just pointing out that the ramifications are hitting pretty much everywhere and everything, and everyone.

Hope you are all well, safe, and all your animals/pets too.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #715 on: March 19, 2020, 06:02:20 PM »

Hi Mart,
           You probably already know this but you cannot afford to get Covid 19. Your immune system has already been seriously compromised and if you catch it, the chances are, it will kill you.
  Many of our pubs shut over a week ago  Our shops are shut and only trading through a hatch in the wall.  However they are all running free delivery services and chemists and doctors surgeries are doing the same as the shops.
   I have been in self isolation since the 4th of March with only one trip out Yesterday.
 It's crazy crazy times. 70 miles south of here. The shops and restaurants are open. The hospital is open and Yesterday a pretty receptionist pointed to my mask and told me, You don't  Need That.
  We are extremely fortunate that we have an excellent community spirit  here I Donegal and we will want for nothing. Yet I think of yesterday and in particular the hospital and I am baffled by the attitude. Yesterday, would have been my 7th visit to the same Hosp and every single visit I was amazed at the skill and dedication and the friendly hospitality. They were just lovely. Something must have happened. I did not see my usual Doctor and the stand in one was anything but pleasant.
  It's  the crazy times we live in.
   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #716 on: March 20, 2020, 07:17:39 AM »

Hiya Biff and thanks for your concern. I've done some checking and my system should be OK as it got topped up with several antibiotics at the time, and I've been off them for over a month now. Also wound wise I'm healed and sealed now with some fresh scar tissue. I'm pushing 50, so not ideal but not too bad, but the most important part is that Wifey and I, and my neighbours are already effectively on self isolate, so we will only be interacting with each other, nobody else at the rescue. Hope that sounds reasonable, not trying to push my luck at all. We are also doing lots of hot water washes and singalongs when we arrive, and regular antibacterial hand scrubs throughout.

Crazy times indeed.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #717 on: March 20, 2020, 11:21:08 AM »

Keep safe both of you.
I am awaiting the return of Mrs T who has been on a visit to her Mum. Probably be the last one for quite a while. After that it's quarantine, we only shop once a week now with lots of hand washing and avoidance of queuing. I'm still on the beach with Elliott every morning but by ourselves. We exchange hellos at a distance.  As you say Biff crazy times.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #718 on: March 27, 2020, 04:26:53 PM »

Quick update, chat, boredom relief ......   So, the plan for the cat rescue lasted about 5 mins. Just long enough for my neighbour to suggest we do extra shifts, my agreement, then her daughter issue orders that her and dad go into full isolation as they are both in high risk categories. So ..... muggings here has been doing all the morning shifts, whilst Anna does the afternoon's, and we avoid being there together. In truth, it's actually a great excuse to get out of the house, and there's not too many cats there (13 I think?) so most of the time I'm fussing, not cleaning.

Tis weird seeing/crossing the main Cardiff/Newport Rd with little to no traffic on it.

Also taking the dogs out for a walk each day, and Vesper has displayed a new skill, he can find a tennis ball (presumably lost by another dog) every single day we pop out:

"Look I found a ball. Why aren't you looking at the ball?"

Tigger

« Reply #719 on: March 27, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »

Hey Mart,

Thanks for the update.  So you get to fuss an extra 13 cats every day, you lucky fella......

You've only mentioned one of Vesper's skills, you forgot to mention the ability to find the muddiest part of the path too  Grin

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 [48] 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: