navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 144109 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #735 on: April 30, 2020, 06:14:29 AM »

Mart sorry to hear your sad news, unfortunately these things happen. Nature's way.  As Tigger  says, keep on posting good or bad hoping for the best for Mum and the kittens. Above all take care yourself

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #736 on: April 30, 2020, 07:30:59 AM »

Hi guys. here's a pic of Hemmi (Hemingway), an old street cat that moved in with us when he got older and slower and needed lots of food. Long gone now, but an absolute star with massive feet, especially the back flippers, as he had 8 extra toes. We assume he was the Dad of Moe, a Polydactyl kitten we found in the garden and who lived with us for 18yrs.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
M

« Reply #737 on: May 04, 2020, 06:15:25 PM »

Bit of sad news, another one of the kits didn't make it. I found it this morning, and let Anna know, also mentioned that the two remaining ones seem too small for two week olds, and she agreed, so they've gone off to be bottle babies with a foster. Best of luck to them.

I'll have to give Sapphire (not Sophia as I misread off the board) an extra long fuss and cuddle tomorrow, as she may be depressed for a few days.

But here's a nice pic from yesterday, with one of the stronger kits.

Overall, it's gotten a bit busy at the rescue, mainly due to cats that need to be neutered/spayed before rehoming, or release in the case of a feral girl who scares me. I think we have 14 adults, and one older kitten now, but lots of pregnant cats, and kits with fosters. Recently in are 'the two fat ladies', these are middle aged tortie sisters. They are small, with tiny tails (only about 6 inches long) and fat bellies. They are really sweet, despite being quite scared, and love a cuddle. Sadly their owner died, and a relative simply dumped them in the street outside, but we got them quickly which is a good thing as they are not exactly street smart cats. I've suggested 'Dazed & Confused' for their names, but I'm sure something more appropriate will be applied, like Rose and Ethel?

Tigger

« Reply #738 on: May 05, 2020, 08:17:50 AM »

Good morning Mart,

Thanks for the update on the little ones, Mum will definitely need some cuddles now and hopefully the bottle feeding fostering will see the other two make it into big strong babies.

A bit of a sad story that those two cats just got dumped on the street, so good to know that people like you and Anna are there to help them when they need it and yes, perhaps Rose and Ethel would be better names for genteel middle aged ladies Smiley

Keep up the good work,

Ian.

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #739 on: May 05, 2020, 10:23:05 AM »

My grandmother born before the turn of the last century rejoiced in the name of Ethel Rose!
Good luck Mart.

Kidwelly South Wales
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #740 on: May 05, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »

I have just been dusting wackoold and have come across the 1997 Good Pub Guide. This is of course my chance to bask in another's glory as our dog gets a mention.

Our local was about 3 miles away through St Leonards Forest, of a Friday evening 'Chaos' the dog (collie spaniel cross not deliberate)  and I used to walk through the wood to the pub early evening to meet up with Mrs T on her route back from work and our friend Jim and his black lab 'Jasper.

At the time it was an old fashioned sort of pub excellent beer low ceiling, flagged floor open fire. No music. No TV.  Lots of good natter. They also served pub grub. Do you all remember pubs?
We would all stand at the bar and chat and the dogs would take themselves off to a place near the fire to sleep or so we thought.  In reality they were keeping a wary eye for strangers eating. They had developed tactics of positioning themselves in eyesight of those eating and looking hungry and woe begotten. Letting the eyes do the work. Never approaching unless asked.   
To our embarrassment  a stranger came over and asked our permission to give them a chip each as they both looked hungry.
How long this had been going on we were not sure.
Anyhow they received a mention by name as a pub 'feature'  as two welcoming dogs.
The landlord one day cooked them a plate of kidneys to share!
No honest we were not there that often. whistlie

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #741 on: May 16, 2020, 04:02:50 PM »

Bit of cattery news for those bored and desperate for any distraction. Anna and Wifey ganged up on me and forced me to have a day off which was nice of them, but afterwards we realised it meant I only did 49 days straight, which for someone with mild OCD and a fascination with numbers is slightly irritating to say the least. But it's still good fun, and most cats are getting homes, though we are now up to 4 big boys with big boy 'peaches', so yard time involves careful monitoring and remembering to keep the two alphas apart ...... and also Tammie who is as chemically obsessed with Dinky Doo as he is with her, almost needed a chair to get them apart this morning. I'd swear the look in Dinky's eye's was saying 'Dude, what the hell, I was in there!'

Not all fun and games, we have two oldies with us, who are just too far gone to go to fosters. They are absolutely lovely, but all they do is eat and ...... well, let's just say it looks like it has hit the fan. Today was one of the less horrific ones as not every gap between puppy pads had been fully utilised:

Kittens are popping all over Cardiff with Anna's fosters, and homes are being found as soon as they are old enough. I think the waiting list is now down to 43, but typically it will reach zero before we run out of kittens, but that just means we get to enjoy them for a bit longer till someone adopts them.

This stunning Mum and her four kits (approx 3 weeks old) arrived at the rescue on Wednesday as she is very calm, and no foster space was available.

Weirdly, she was found with a very neat and accurate 'v' notch in her ear, which doesn't look like a battle scar, but like a catch and release mark by a vet ...... but if she was a catch and release then I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that she wasn't neutered!

Here are the kits:

We have a ginger boy at one end, and a tortie girl at the other, with two dark tabbie/tortie girls in the middle. Weirdly, the mum seems to be full ginger making a mockery of the rule that full gingers are male, as females have to have a bit of white somewhere - though perhaps she has white on her belly that I haven't spotted.

Mum loves a fuss which is great as that helps get the kits used to people, but unfortunately to ensure they grow up people friendly I have to spend time handling them all. It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

Lastly, and to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks - When I let Ghost out for a walk around the cattery (he's new in, been on the streets for years, not neutered, huge head, but friendly) he quickly found Blue our other intact alpha. They both pressed the sides of their heads against the wire of Blue's pen door and started to growl, howl and steadily build up towards some sort of crescendo. I quickly slipped a spare mat between them, but Ghost was rigid and noisy, so I considered for about 1 second picking him up, but you'll be proud of me as one second was long enough to conclude 'hell no', and I retreated and got the full leather padded gauntlets. They work great, picked him up and popped him back in his pen, and to be fair he didn't have a go at me, and was friendly afterwards ....... but perhaps I've learned my lesson, and discretion is the better part of valour.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #742 on: May 16, 2020, 04:09:39 PM »

Mart,
    I admire such wisdom. fingers crossed!
   Great pics but a hell of a lot of hard work
         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #743 on: May 16, 2020, 05:23:31 PM »

tomatosplat Intact Mart  tomatosplat
Well done.  genuflect
Great pictures.
Do you ever get a ginger  female ?

Kidwelly South Wales
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #744 on: May 16, 2020, 08:58:07 PM »

Stacey Dooley? fingers crossed!

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #745 on: May 17, 2020, 06:03:13 AM »

facepalm  Grin Grin Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #746 on: May 17, 2020, 07:33:49 AM »

tomatosplat Intact Mart  tomatosplat
Well done.  genuflect
Great pictures.
Do you ever get a ginger  female ?

I'll try to check out the ginger mum a bit more. She's super friendly, but that doesn't necessarily mean she'll let me flip her over and check for some white underneath. It may simply be that the 'rule' that a female has to have some white isn't a real rule, but Anna, who has obviously met thousands more cats than me, hasn't yet met a full ginger female. You can also get tortie boys, but that's incredibly rare and some sort of genetic mistake/abnormality (I think), I've never seen one.

Apparently a huge fat faced (not neutered) boy was popped in our outdoor pen yesterday, so I'll get to meet him in a few minutes when I head down. been told he looks cuddly, but be careful, not sure yet. For some odd reason I keep being told to be careful with the new big cats and feral mums ........ no idea why!!!

Tigger

« Reply #747 on: May 18, 2020, 12:02:01 PM »

Thanks again Mart, love the pics of the kitties.  Good to hear you're becoming more cautious with the experiences you've had.  As for the 49 days, I'll bet that would bug many of us on here  Grin

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
nowty

« Reply #748 on: May 18, 2020, 07:28:13 PM »

I found my cat sleeping under a solar panel today.

Makes a change from her sister who sleeps on them.

12kW+ of PV installed and 60+ MWh's generated.
Home battery storage of 40+ kWh's.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh's.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh's.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
290,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Tigger

« Reply #749 on: May 19, 2020, 07:51:47 AM »

Lovely pics Nowty, sheer bliss.

We have four 'heat seeking missiles' in our house, they know the hot-spots in the kitchen where the underfloor heating works best, up on the landing in front of the airing cupboard where the boiler pipes make it warmest and of course on top of my laptop because 'it's made of warm' Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: