navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 144105 times)
M

« Reply #750 on: May 19, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »

Gorgeous cats nowty, but how very dare they sleep on a PV panel.  police

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
M

« Reply #751 on: May 21, 2020, 03:23:31 PM »

Cats on the move today. Between the cattery buildings and fosterers, there are 18 cats that need neutering/spaying so that they can be rehomed, and all of them are reserved. Only emergencies in the local Cardiff vets, but Anna was able to persuade a vet in Barry (about 15 miles away) to take 8 today, so we bundled up a mass of cats, including some big boys who are particularly smelly. And off she went whilst I got down to some cleaning.

One of my favourites, 'twenty two' is being neutered, and his adopters are ecstatic as they've only seen him via vid and can't wait to get him. As he's not smelly, and isn't spraying, he can go to them tomorrow, whilst Blue a true alpha may take a month or so to de-testosterone ....... the smelly git, but he's so friendly if you can breathe through your mouth whilst in his pen.

New bruiser in yesterday, huge cheeks, and hiding in his crate, but he let me squeeze in enough to give him a gentle rub of the chin. Today he seemed scared but not aggressive, so I ended up 2/3rds in the crate fussing him at the far end, and he seemed to push his head out for a good chin rub, then to my surprise slowly flopped over exposing his belly to me. I resisted rubbing it in case it was a trap, but stroked his side and let my thumb rub his belly a bit, and then he got up and walked down the side of my head before I could retreat ar5e backwards out of the crate, but all he did was start to eat the food I'd shown him. So hopefully I'll win him over, and try to get a pic too.

Ginger mum is great, as are her kits.

Total numbers have built up, so I'll be glad to see a few disappear, not just for an easy life, but because they deserve more attention and a forever home.

fourfootfarm

« Reply #752 on: May 21, 2020, 06:44:53 PM »

Lilly has come to us from the farm for her retirement.

As an older lady it is her perogative to spend a lot of time napping. Or at least that's what my gran says.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
Tigger

« Reply #753 on: May 22, 2020, 09:32:54 AM »

Hi Mart, more good news, thanks as always for sharing.  As for the offered belly being a trap, one of ours loves to do that, roll over, get some fuss, appear loving and innocent and then bam........

Hi FFF, love the pics of Lilly, your gran is so right  Cheesy

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #754 on: May 22, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »

OH yes look here is my tum.  See how quickly I can belt you with my claws out. surrender
When you have stopped the bleeding, I'll  head butt you to show you that I care!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:53:44 PM by todthedog » Logged

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #755 on: May 22, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »

Got some pics today of the new shy big boys. The giant bruiser is either Flynn or Ivan, we can't decide which is cooler. Not a great pic as he looks  a bit shell shocked, and he's hiding under the cupboard that forms a great pen with climbing frame etc.. Might sound cruel but we decided not to put a towel or bed under there, so he can hide if necessary, but will hopefully come out and explore, and curl up in a bed where we can see him, and fuss him more easily.

Wifey popped down with me today, and Anna was already hard at work as she had some cats to deliver, so had cleaned half the pens for me (she feels guilty, but it gets me out the house). So plenty of time to spend fussing the cats, and I was able to climb under the cupboard and fuss the big boy for a long time, and once again he started to chill out, flopped over a couple of times, then came forward to have some food. Fingers crossed he'll get better every day.

Same for Bruce Almighty, almost as big as Flynn/Ivan, who stays in his nest. But today he figured out the best way to get rid of me and my incessant 'hand intrusion' of the safety nest, was to start pushing his head against my hand. He then slid on his side to the opening, then slid/fussed his way half out, then finally strapped on his boy pants and ventured out ....... from there it was a surprisingly short exchange of headbutts on the road to a full blown cwtch. I think this stunning boy may be a teddy bear (Dinky Doo in the background):

Great day today as Twenty Two goes to his forever home. We gave him loads of last cuddles, and sent a pic to his new owners who are incredibly excited to be getting him. They've hit the jackpot, though I'll really miss this guy and his big feet.

And just to show how great the now 1yr old ginger twins get on with our old boy, here's a garden pic after Doyle decided to curl up next to a sunbathing Flash:

M

« Reply #756 on: June 12, 2020, 06:14:59 PM »

So, we had a newbie arrive last night, and I have to say it's the weirdest looking cat I've ever met.

If this link works, best to watch without the sound, as I was using my 'trying to be unthreatening and friendly voice', so I sound like a complete prat waffling on, as this was the very first time I'd met this sweet little lady.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqyivppkamstru7/vid-20200612-wa0009.mp4?dl=0

It's taken Anna a week to find a vet willing to look at her, and the update is OK but not great, as it seems she was shot with an air pellet, has a very bad infection, and had to have some teeth removed, but will be with us for hand feeding for a week, before the local residents, who adore her, get her back.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #757 on: June 13, 2020, 06:04:13 AM »

Absolutely fabulous Mart.
A huge smile first thing, compounded by the fact Elliott and I are allowed to walk the beach for the first time in months!

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #758 on: June 13, 2020, 07:17:20 AM »

Absolutely fabulous Mart.
A huge smile first thing, compounded by the fact Elliott and I are allowed to walk the beach for the first time in months!

I've just checked the Facebook site and I'm blown away, people have donated over 700 for the treatment of Covid (the local kids named her, and they've been hand feeding her).

Twelve kittens go out this weekend to new homes, and sadly the love of my cattery life gets adopted (again) today. This is Bruce Almighty whose first adoption didn't work out as he started swiping at the new owners, but we honestly can't work out why (though they did mention squirting him with water if he scratched, and as an ex-street boy, he probably doesn't understand the 'rules'). Nothing we can do to him upsets him, I rub his belly, flip him upside down and cradle him like a baby, I've even (and this is a bit naughty) pulled his tail hard enough to lift his back legs off the ground briefly (in case a child might do this) and all he does is head rub me and purr. He gets to wander around with the others cats, has 5 kittens playing with his tail, a friendly but protective mum smack him on the nose, and nothing, absolutely nothing but fuss and affection. I'd have him in a heartbeat, but we're full, and whilst I'm going to miss him, I'm over the moon he'll have a 24/7 home and company.

Been quiet on the updates lately as a couple of the very old cats, that we couldn't foster out during their last days, past away, and I cuddled (warmed) a kitten one morning whilst it slowly faded away, which was a bit tough. But life goes on, and it can't all be rainbows and unicorns ...... unfortunately.

M

« Reply #759 on: June 19, 2020, 07:03:36 AM »

OK, silly story, but on Wednesday just as I was ready to go home and have a late breakfast, I realised that one of the kittens was missing. I'd let them and mum out of their pen so they could run around the main area ("Yard Time") whilst I was working. Took me 20+ mins to find the little ugger, and it was kind of funny when I did, so I told Anna the story and she checked back on the camera and found it and posted on the volunteer thread stills of me searching high (stretching up and putting my hand in the top nests of cat towers), searching low (backside in the air looking up play tubes, and in boxes) and generally going in circles trying to find the kit, and also trying to follow the little muffled cries that always seemed to be coming from another room.

So here's a still from the camera moments before the kit disappeared, and I think one guess is more than enough to work out where 'little runty' (she's a tad smaller than her siblings) was 'hiding'.

Tigger

« Reply #760 on: June 19, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »

Hi Mart,

Lovely story, I think of all of us who have had kittens have 'lost' one of them at some point and it's amazing where they hide......

Sorry I didn't respond to your post of the 13th.  It was good to see that Bruce Almighty is moving on, the last part got me very badly and I just couldn't come up with the right words.....

Keep on doing all this good stuff Mart and please share when you can.

Thanks,

Ian.

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #761 on: June 19, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »

It's heartbreaking when you loose one nothing anyone can say to make it easier. The brilliant work you do makes this a more frequent occurrence for you than us.
Your recent misplacing a kitten, Mrs T heard plaintif cries coming from a communal bin (in Finisterre ) on investigating she found a tiny ball of grubby fur. She brought  her home we cleaned her up fed her, boy she could eat, named her 'poubelle (bin)pearl' and had the pleasure of her company for many years.
Keep posting Mart you bring many a smile, as well as the occasional tear

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #762 on: June 19, 2020, 12:52:30 PM »

Hi Mart,

Lovely story, I think of all of us who have had kittens have 'lost' one of them at some point and it's amazing where they hide......

Sorry I didn't respond to your post of the 13th.  It was good to see that Bruce Almighty is moving on, the last part got me very badly and I just couldn't come up with the right words.....

Keep on doing all this good stuff Mart and please share when you can.

Thanks,

Ian.

In the next frame the kitten is 'eaten' by the flip top lid, but no harm no foul, and she, her 3 siblings, a lovely kit that's bigger but has been ill, and 3 more kits rescued from a garden, were all playing together today. Then her and her two tortie siblings (from that litter with the ginger mum) were all boxed up this morning to go to their furever homes.

Got forwarded pics of Bruce last night. The new owner was told he would be shy for a few days, so she wasn't too worried that he stayed hidden, but then on day three he got brave, and by day 5 he's playing and cuddling with her and her 3 children (look about 5, 7 & 9). Absolutely landed on his feet, and it was great to see the photos, but I have to admit I was quite shocked at the level of jealousy I felt, that's a bit naughty, but hopefully understandable.

We've now got a new project cat for me. He's a massive ginger and white street cat, who growls and hisses if you go anywhere near his crate. He puts on a good show, but as I creep my hand closer to him he slowly backs up, and hasn't yet actually done anything to me, so I suspect he's just terrified and not aggressive. He did eventually touch an outstretched finger with his nose, and from there I've built on it each day, and have managed to feed him some liquid treats (like yoghurt) putting a bit at a time on my finger. He licks it off, and hasn't bitten me. Managed today to rub his head with one finger, and tickle under one ear before I lost my bottle and retreated. Luckily a lady is happy to 'take on a challenge' (her words) after seeing a vid of him growling and licking the food off me, so he's off soon too.

Loads more in and out, and odd stories like the lady who rang Anna for help as she had a cat with new born kittens, plus six more pregnant cats ....... YOU WHAT? Oh, and she doesn't have the male cat, he's 'wandered off now' (probably needs a rest).

Lastly, just to show that sometimes it is rainbows and unicorns, here I am cuddling a little stunner, fluffy and cute, with what looks like a milk mustache. I promise the second photo wasn't staged, just lucky.

Tigger

« Reply #763 on: June 19, 2020, 01:01:59 PM »

Oh wow, that's just made my day.

Thanks Mart   Smiley

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #764 on: June 19, 2020, 01:20:40 PM »

Grin'Tart' Grin You or the cat?

Great photo.

Remember  Snoopy's moto 'Never trust a smiling cat'.

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: