navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 153413 times)
M

« Reply #780 on: October 19, 2020, 06:59:47 PM »

Then we had Sassy, she was really special. Having decided to have kittens in a garden, she got attacked by the household dog, which also killed a couple of the kits, the rest went for fostering as she needed a lot of vet care. She came into us with almost all her tail removed, and other wounds on the back end, and no fur (shaved for the op) from halfway down. I was read the riot act about touching her, and the need to be careful, but to be honest I was really scared myself - feral + female + recent mother + wounds and in pain + strange place and people ..... she ticked every box for a visit to A&E.
So I started talking to her, and blinking at her, and offering a knuckle through the bars of her crate, and she just hissed at me, a bit pathetically. So then I popped my arm in, and offered the knuckle for a swipe/bite, and whilst she hissed at me all the time, she didn't do anything else. Over a few days I started to tickle her head on the side by her ears and then stroke her head. She got this treatment for about 10 mins before I did some wall building, and ten mins at the end each day.
Then after about 10 days she started leaning her head into my fusses, and shortly after, and luckily the day Wifey popped down to see her and Ginge, she started butting her head up into my hand. Couple of days later while I stroked her gently and risked touching her lower bare back (cats can get defensive when you go near their rears) she popped her bum right up in the air, and even put her tail (all one or two inches of it) straight up.
Sadly, but also great news, she got adopted that day by a woman who'd been shown vids of me touching her, so I was really, really chuffed that she'd shown me such a sweet response that day.
She's doing well with her new owner, who is wonderfully patient with her, and can now, almost pick her up.

I've got a few stories for anyone interested. Starting with Sassy (above). I asked Anna how she was doing with her new owner, and was told she's fine ....... and so are the kittens ....... WWWWWWhat?

So, I suggested that as sassy was letting her guard down, it might be best to cancel the spaying appointment booked for the day after she was to be adopted, so that she didn't lose her new found confidence. Then one thing after another happened, and time went on, and Sassy suddenly got very big very fast, and pop (or pop x4 to be more accurate). So it seems that she was already pregnant when she came in after the dog attack, and miraculously the kits, which must have been at a very early stage, survived her being knocked out for the operation. Had she gone in for spaying, given nobody knew she was pregnant, then the 4 kits would have been lost.

Then we have Bruce, yes big Bruce who I utterly adored and went off to be a farm cat, but instead decided to be a teddy bear for the kids. Well, it seems that whilst he wasn't any use at pest control, he is a dab hand, or paw, at killing their chickens. In fact he's such a house cat and 'cuddle monster' he hardly goes out ...... apart from chicken killing. So I was to meet them on Sunday at Bristol (about half way) to take him back, but it was cancelled at the last minute as the family are slightly more distraught at losing Bruce than the chickens, so they are looking into ways to cat proof the chicken run so the little cluckers can enjoy the sun without being 'Bruce'd'.

And finally, 18 months ago we received the adorable Vesper, guide dog in training to board for about 3-4 months ...... which due to umpteen events, failing as a guide dog and a global pandemic, stayed for a little longer than planned. Well today he moved on to a small family with a young boy with sight loss, to be a friend and companion, offer support and educate the lad on dog ownership should he wish to have a 'real' guide dog when he grows up - known as the 'Buddy Programme'.

We are overjoyed that this lad will get to enjoy Vesper and experience one of the best and most loving dogs we have ever met. But it's a bit of a tough day today.

Buster (left) and Vesper (right) after our last walk together.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Tigger

« Reply #781 on: October 19, 2020, 07:54:36 PM »

You've done it again Mart, wonderful stories that make you smile and pull at the heart strings too. As ever you have my admiration for the wonderful things you do.

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #782 on: October 20, 2020, 06:47:11 AM »

Always a good way to start the day with a Mart story. Cracking.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #783 on: October 20, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »

Good work Mart,
             Bruce the chicken killer is one mixed up cat. He must have been attacked by a rooster as a kitten.
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #784 on: October 21, 2020, 03:02:44 PM »

Here's my latest project, if I can get the video to work.
So we have two new cats in. They were abandoned (4 in total) when the owner left the country, we think someone was supposed to take them in, but didn't.
They are very, very scared. The Ginger and white is OK, it seems healthy, it's a neutered boy but we were told they are both girls. I suspect the B&W is a neutered boy too, as a girl would have ripped my face off by now, but we can't quite check (as you will see).
I was warned he was aggressive, so I tentatively offered him a knuckle (all cats get a 'knuckle chance' to see if there is some hope) and he immediately belted me, but, and it's a big BUT he didn't use any claws and blinked whilst backing off, so I kept trying as he seemed fearful not aggressive. Then he bit me, but no pressure, didn't even hurt. Eventually after probably 20 punches and 20 bites (him to me, I should add!) I was able to touch him and build from there. [Edit - I should add, he's never hurt me, nor even broken the skin, so I'm not being brave nor stupid ...... well perhaps the later. M.]
Progress is slow and he still lets me have it, but I have been able to gently rub his cheek and ear between assaults.

Dropbox link

And today to see if he was 'winnable' I tried out some food on my finger. I had to dab his mouth/chin at first to get him to taste it, but to my surprise he then started to lick it off my finger, which is a good sign - he doesn't hate me (completely) and although stressed, he will eat whilst I'm there.

Link 2

It all seems to work in preview, let me know if it works.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 03:04:54 PM by M » Logged

Tigger

« Reply #785 on: October 21, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »

The links work a treat, as does your perseverance.

Well done Mart, you're still my hero Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #786 on: October 21, 2020, 05:56:00 PM »

The finger of delight! Great post Mart.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #787 on: October 24, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »

Getting there with the scared B/W. Hoping that my latest vid can be used to help advertise him, and show that he just needs a safe loving home.

Link 3

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #788 on: October 24, 2020, 12:32:11 PM »

Good progress Mart Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
Tigger

« Reply #789 on: October 26, 2020, 08:36:40 AM »

Well Mart, I expect one of two things will come about as a result of your latest video, either:

1) The two cats get the loving home they deserve
2) Billy Smart offers you a job as a Lion tamer

Or maybe you'll hit the jackpot and both will happen Smiley

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #790 on: October 26, 2020, 10:43:40 AM »

Hi Mart,
      I watch these little clips on my phone in the early morning while in bed. Mrs Biff watches hers and we swap good ones.
  Well this morning their is this big brute of a tiger in a cage but also in the cage is this worker in a blue tea shirt and he is trying to tidy up. I think he must have dropped the big black bag if rubbish to abruptly because the Tiger charged from 30 ft away and landed on top of him. Then out of nowhere cane all these helpers in blue tea shirts holding long canes with plastic bags and stuffed toys stuck on the end. You could not see the guy underneath the tiger because the tiger was that big, it covered him completely.
  So I was expecting one of these blue tea shirts to produce a little bang bang and put a neat little piece of lead in the tiger,s ear..God  no, he is hugging the tiger and talking to it, Then this blond babe drops down on the ground in front of the tiger , Starts slapping her knees and trying to attract the tiger,s attention,  the other lot are dancing about waving their canes with the plastic bags and yokes on the end, making a racket, then the blond reaches forward on her knees and pushes the tigers head off the guy below, puts a treat in his mouts  hugs him, The tiger likes his treat and she pushes him completely of the guy underneath. Suddenly they all stand up and walk off with the victim none the worse and getting a back slap.
  It was a really impressive demo and extremely well executed.
   What I meant so say Mart,,, before I interrupted myself, Could this be your new job. Are you keeping this a secret from us.?
    Biff

Remember the one about the chap dressed as a gorilla  in his cage in the Zoo,  He was doing a great job, rushing forward and frightening the public, then he would swing on the branches in his cage, fit as a fiddle, then he swung to high and toppled over into the cage next door and as luck would have it, he landed right on top of a lion  Who roared in pain,, Then as the guy started to scream his head off for help, The lion, in a rather cultured voice, spoke in his ear.
  Shut up man,  you will get the both  of us the sack.
   I don't  know what the world is coming too.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #791 on: October 26, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys. And here is today's video, but be warned it's a shocker, I was absolutely blown away.

Link 4

M

« Reply #792 on: October 26, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »

Just a quickie to say that a new foster, with experience of feral cats (so these two will be a doddle) has seen the vid of me 'being attacked' and is happy to to take the two cats on. Not sure when they will go, as Wales is in a full lockdown at the moment, but hopefully it won't be too long, and I'll give them both a long fuss tomorrow ........ perhaps pick up the B&W and give it a cwtch ......... nah, only kidding.   wackoold

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #793 on: October 26, 2020, 06:15:35 PM »

Terrific progress  genuflect

Kidwelly South Wales
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #794 on: October 26, 2020, 06:24:44 PM »

Hasn't been on for a while lockdown collie

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 [53] 54   Go Up
  Print