navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 159858 times)
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #810 on: January 09, 2021, 08:09:21 AM »

Very high 'Aaahhh' value there, and a little coy look in the second pic.
Obviously no col 'lab' oration went on there   Grin

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nissan micra Spirita   (Short range)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #811 on: January 09, 2021, 10:07:25 AM »

I had a look through the window this morning when collecting the 3 collies that I walk. The pups were alone but in 2 wrestling pairs, with weak biting and foot in opponents mouth, training for the real thing.

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #812 on: January 10, 2021, 10:50:52 AM »

Sleepy this morning and already chewing the pen.

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #813 on: January 10, 2021, 11:51:42 AM »

Amazing how BC pups are snub nosed at that age.
I find pups endlessly fascinating condensed fun and naughtiness.
Keep the pictures coming Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
Tigger

« Reply #814 on: January 12, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »

Wonderful pics there Stann, thanks for sharing, a bundle of trouble no doubt Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #815 on: January 19, 2021, 01:54:47 PM »

Silly vid from today, so thought I might post it. It all happens in the first few seconds (the rest is just my balding head). This cat hides in a nest, and pops its head out, but won't quite let me touch it. Then as it retreats further into the nest, it hisses and growls as my hand intrudes. But today it was brave enough to come out slightly, and then to 'defend' its pen from my cleaning attack, which I think is progress. Can't call this one yet, but I don't think it's aggressive, just scared and confused, and the hits whilst breaking the skin, are only pinpricks, no serious attempt to hurt me (yet), but I thought it was fun to show how fast these little uggers are, just a blur:

Dropbox link

Taking me on to more important matters. The mom of the young lad who now has Vesper as a Buddy Dog, has been keeping us up to date on all his adventures, and now has an Instagram page, which shows what he gets up to. The photos are not only lovely for us to see, but are also incredible in their own right, with great views.

Instagram link

We do miss Vesper, but he's definitely got a better life now that suits his personality more, with young friends to keep him busy.

Buster still misses Vesper, but he has an Ikea mini-Vesper to keep him company now

And for no good reason, a pic to show we have toooo many cats

And a close up of the oldest and newest rescues, with 2.9 ears between them (Mr Tibbs had his left ear docked as part of the 'catch neuter release' programme (before he became our latest foster fail) and Flash had an ear removed last year due to sun damage / skin cancer, the curse of white eared (and nosed) cats):

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Tigger

« Reply #816 on: January 21, 2021, 11:21:31 AM »

Love the video Mart, you're right about the cat paw blur, it always amazes us when we watch ours do that.  How do they move a paw so fast?

The link to Vespar's buddy is so nice to see, clearly that works for both of them

As for having too many cats, is that possible?  We have four at the moment, there are times when you can't move for cats and there are times when they all disappear  Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #817 on: January 21, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »

Love the video Mart, you're right about the cat paw blur, it always amazes us when we watch ours do that.  How do they move a paw so fast?

The link to Vespar's buddy is so nice to see, clearly that works for both of them

As for having too many cats, is that possible?  We have four at the moment, there are times when you can't move for cats and there are times when they all disappear  Smiley

Cheers, and a quick update today. Yesterday he went to be neutered, and on return Anna decided to pop him in a crate, a little higher, and with an open nest. So today I though he might be less defensive as he no longer has a 'cat cave' to defend. I offered the knuckle, and straight away he came forward sniffed my finger but kept coming and head rubbed my hand. luckily Anna had arrived so got to see this, and I spent a good 5-10 mins just scrunching his head as he pushed into my hand. He offered his belly (well maybe he did, not sure) but when I poked it tentatively he swiped me and gave me a fake bite (just a hit with the teeth), then went back to head rubbing, so I think he's a friendly boy, just struggling with being in a cattery and letting his guard down.

Great news, a lovely older lady saw a video of him, and then me being swiped and wants him. Anna offered some more friendly cats, but she said she'd already clocked the small white line under his chin 'so don't try to pass off a friendly black cat instead'. I suspect with a knowing owner like that, willing to love him, but be patient too, that'll he'll be a great and loyal pet.

This may sound weird, but Covid has worked well for us with Vesper, as he's ended up reasonably close to us, and the fabulous lady has asked us to pop up with Buster for a play date as she's seen the vids of them playing together, especially the 'bitey face' sessions.  We would be tempted, but thankfully Covid stops us having to decide - our concern is not to cause any confusion for Vesper. Normally you shouldn't see them for 3-4 months, but that's also the normal boarding length, so Vesper being with us for 18 months may need more time ...... we really have no idea, so are thankful that the decision has been taken out of our hands.

I suspect that Vesper is actually well settled, and clearly loves and adores his new family.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #818 on: January 21, 2021, 12:58:41 PM »

Thanks for the update Mart, good news all-round.  Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #819 on: February 03, 2021, 12:08:51 PM »

Well, the 3 brothers went off with their new owners and it appears that all have won the lottery. Separately, 2 ended up named Jake and one named Max. Video came back of them in their new homes. I have some fabulous video of myself and my wife holding them; they just never stop moving and wagging.
Donít feel sorry for the remaining one Ben, pictured above. He has far more drive than the others and is staying on the farm as a potential sheepdog.

M

« Reply #820 on: February 16, 2021, 04:37:20 PM »

Is it just me, or have pics on threads disappeared? [Edit - it's OK, they're all back now.]

Funny (sorta) story. The rescue was contacted by a household about a street cat they have been looking after in the garden for 7 months. So we took it in, and immediately fell in love with this super friendly boy. The next day the household asked to adopt it (raising the question - why involve us then?), but because it was chipped, and the household has unneutered cats, the boss wasn't keen for it to go back there. So the next day they have gone ballistic on the Facebook thread attacking us. I wondered if they hoped we'd carry out any medical work, and then get the cat back?

The chip phone number was out of date but a volunteer knocked on the address and asked if a cat had been lost, but was told no. But late that day after the cat was 'advertised' as possibly lost on the website, the owner got in touch. It was the right house, but the cat had been missing for over two years, and when asked, they didn't think it could be him, and knew their 3 cats were all home and safe. They lived about 3 streets over from where he'd been hanging out.

So they pop to the cattery, call his name, and he reacts immediately, before running to the woman and cuddling in her arms.

The household that had helped him were told, and they said that was good news, and even apologised for over-reacting. They also asked about the big lump on his belly, and if that was OK. The boss explained that that was just his furry paunch as he was a big lad and had probably lost a little weight (perhaps my guess about medical costs was correct).

So a nice story, but the next day both households had to be removed from the website as they laid into each other. Original owner said they should have taken the cat to a vet to be scanned (fair point). Household two said they'd looked after a street cat very well (fair point). Original owner said he clearly wasn't just a street cat (fair point) ...... and so on.

So we got caught in no-mans-land between two warring factions, but at least we got to meet an absolute sweetheart of a cat.

At the moment the rescue is full of black and white street cats in all different states of disrepair. Just an unusual coincidence it seems. Another B&W big boy came in today, apparently he's been terrorizing an area, so we trapped him. His board was marked - "May be friendly, but not yet clear. Martyn will update once more information is available." That made me laugh (they have a good sense of humour), I asked if the translation was "Mart, stick your hand in his nest and see what happens"? I was correct.

So I said hello. Reached in, he sniffed by knuckle which is a good start. Then I gently fuss him. I don't get any positives, but no negatives, so I lay down on my back, with my left hand in the nest and fuss him gently for about 20mins, when all of a sudden he starts to flip on his side and offer his belly. I managed to get a vid, but obviously not easy to get two hands, a mobile, and some of my head into a small cat nest. At the end he came partly out, let me pet him, then seemed interested in a bowl of food.

Hope this link works....... spoiler ..... it doesn't, so shall delete and try again later.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:36:20 PM by M » Logged

Tigger

« Reply #821 on: February 17, 2021, 02:08:15 PM »

Interesting story there Mart, especially enlightening with the question about 'the lump' which gives a hint as to why they involved the rescue team......

I love how you now have a reputation as the 'tester' for friendly (or not) cats Smiley

I tried the link but it doesn't seem to work.....

Ian.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #822 on: February 17, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »

Good story Mart, and one reason I avoid most antisocial media.

With your cat tester reputation good job you never volunteered at the Colosseum

Can't get the link to work either.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #823 on: February 17, 2021, 04:46:29 PM »

Yep link isn't working, I've deleted and will try again later.

The new cat (must choose a name) was better today. I gave him a quick fuss in his hidey nest, then tried to tickle his belly but he hissed at me, so I laid down to fuss him slowly again, but within seconds he flipped and enjoyed belly rubs. Then he came out, walked alongside me, got to my feet sniffed them and decided to walk back (fair enough, I'd have done the same). I expected him to walk up to the nest and get back in, but he stopped alongside my side/chest and settled into a sitting lay about six inches from me. Seems too social to be a full stray, I just can't believe a street cat would offer their belly so quick, so I guess he's just another housecat that has wandered off, or been abandoned.

Little factoid I didn't know, last year Anna / Anna's Rescue Center helped over 4,000 animals (mostly cats). I had no idea, and it shows how much she does in the background, and all the fosterers who look after animals, especially pregnant cats and kits.

I've now got the official title of the rescue's animal behaviorist, which is a long word that roughly translates as - "Go on Mart, touch it and see what happens."

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #824 on: February 17, 2021, 05:36:11 PM »

Mart, the guy over there with all the scratches......

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: