navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 116849 times)
Greenbeast

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:34 AM »

Great pic of the pair Mart!
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »

Hi Smegal

This Punk is very cute , they love Eggs (i am sure u know this )

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »

Must be a breed fault with dalmatians Martin, had a friend with a deaf one as well lovely dog but daft as a brush. Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »

It is a breed fault Tod,
                     For a period of 10 years from the 1980s ,almost 50% of the pups were born deaf,so they set about trying to cure it but selective breeding and introducing new bloodlines.Some strains of Dalmations in west Mayo were used for poaching salmon from the rivers.They could dive clean off the river banks,land on the salmon under the water,grab it in their mouth and swim for the bank where the owner was waiting.These Mayo Dalmations became kind of heros when the baliffs decided to raid the guys van and where the salmon were stored,only to be attacked by another Dalmation while the owner got in and drove away calling the dogs after him.I believe the case was heard in Claremoris but I am not sure.However both the the dog owner and his solicitor turned up in court half shot and got fined for poaching.You can understand the rush to aquire one of these dogs at the time, Grin
   The dog owner was a little small man in his 50s with a flat cap and a very shifty look but it was a great laugh at the time.There was a picture in the national papers of this characters 3 dogs. They were very big and powerfull and they were pedigrees into the bargain. Something tells me that this would actually be the original breed,which was a dog that had special ways with horses,slept in the stables with them,guarding them,then guarding their coach en route.The original breed,s pee gave off a very strong smell of ammonia.These were not pets but hard working dogs that earned their keep.
  Deafness only crept into the breed when the breeders decided to try and breed out the characteristics of the working strain and have a dopey mutt for crufts.
  And a lot of the modern breed are born with ADDs.  daft, and take maybe 3 years to settle down if ever which is a terrible pity.
                                                                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
smegal

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »

Must be a breed fault with dalmatians Martin, had a friend with a deaf one as well lovely dog but daft as a brush. Grin

It is. Breeders should test all puppies in the litters. If they are deaf or deaf in one ear, they shouldn't be bred.

When youíre thirsty, itís too late to dig a well. - Unknown
M

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »

Silly bit of info, but I remember an interview with the dog team that worked on 101 Dalmatians. They were so concerned about creating a breeding rush, particularly with the hearing issues, that when they announced the need for puppies, they set the time period deliberately too short (close to filming) so as to make sure that the dogs were already born, or on the way.

My neighbours dog is a Dalmatian+ (there's a little bit of something else in there). He's a lovely dog, but slightly racist ..... he hates brown labs, but only brown ones, white, yellow and black are fine. Go figure!

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
smegal

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 11:28:32 PM »

Another strange thing with dalmatians is the smile that they do. Here is a picture (from google) of a dalmatian smiling:

Do other breeds do this?

Bodidly

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 07:33:18 AM »

Another strange thing with dalmatians is the smile that they do. Here is a picture (from google) of a dalmatian smiling:

Do other breeds do this?

Mmmm

Are you sure that's smiling? I have seen dogs make this face but it's shortly followed by them plunging it's teeth into you  Wink
smegal

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »

Another strange thing with dalmatians is the smile that they do. Here is a picture (from google)

Do other breeds do this?

Mmmm

Are you sure that's smiling? I have seen dogs make this face but it's shortly followed by them plunging it's teeth into you  Wink

it really is.  It's the strangest thing. Our dog only does it when you first see her,  it's weird seeing this dog wagging it's tail making a face like that.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 08:01:54 AM »

Morning Smegal,
                 That smile is part of the Bit£hs submissive language often when the Bit£h is in heat and yes you do get it in other dogs especially border collies and cocker spaniels.I have no idea why this should be.Those breeds have no real breeding link to one another.I always thought that it was a nervous confused signal. It usually happens in younger dogs because once a dominant owners sees it they disapprove and get uptight,The dogs can feel this and after a while will refrain from doing it(they get tired of getting thrown outside Grin).The Bit£h also uses this language when meeting a very power male dog that she likes and will bare the teeth while licking the dogs lower jaw.You could say that some humans have exactly the same idea but they actually bite.Hence those nasty horrible marks on necks and others places of young loves
                                 Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »

Smegal,
        If you get time,you could dig out a copy of Konrad Lorenz,s "Man Meets Dog". Most facial expressions are in there.
                                                                Biff

smegal

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »

Thanks for the explanation, Biff. I'd never. see. anything like it before. 

I'll see if I can find a copy of that book.

here is a video that I just recorded if oreo. as you can see, she is excitable when she first sees you.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »

Nice vid Smegal.

Tod the dog does it if you scratch his bum, bared teeth and happy little grunts.
However the same facial expression but a deeper growl  in 'this is mine feck off'.
Can be a bit confusing, us not him.
He is an ex-street dog  so if he gets stroppy or possisive he is just gently put in his place.

Greenbeast

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »

The latest addition...

Count Felix "Diabeto"  the diabetic cat, we've decided to home this cat and try to fix him

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »

Love him already GB, good on you ,and your best beloved.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: