navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 114811 times)
M

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2014, 09:30:05 PM »

Hiya Greenbeast, what a pretty boy ..... the cat too!

Have you had a diabetic animal before? Can you do your own glucose checks at home, and maybe a glucose curve every now and then? Happy to share tips, if I'm not teaching you to suck eggs.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Greenbeast

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »

Thanks very much, the girl is a vet :-)
M

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »

In that case, any tips for me?  Grin

Mart.

Greenbeast

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:44 AM »

In that case, any tips for me?  Grin

Mart.

Ha ha, we'll see!
Going to transition him to a raw diet, i'll let you know how it goes
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 01:25:18 PM »

Trexie (chief indoor rodent control officer) is at the vets on a drip!
Noticed she was a bit off colour and did not eat
Next day she sicked up a fur ball still did not eat
Day 3 no food no water
Day 4 vets, no temperature, no obvious pain . Tried prawns, tuna, chicken, stuff in a tin the vet reckons all cats love,raw and cooked sardine,cheese, warm milk. Nothing, run up to her bowl look sniff and walk off .
Day 5 starting to get quite concerned, back to the vets Trex now listless, and dehydrated, so on a drip and really  p. Issed off cat .  This is now Sunday,
Today stabilised and blood test taken off to the lab we should hopefully get some results by close of play today.  Still on her drip.
Any thoughts folk?

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
julian

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »

Vets, and IV drips : (

Our hound went to the vets every day last week, inc the bank holiday monday, culminating in a couple of days on a drip.
He is back now, and getting better, but that was another case of noone really knowing (at the start) what was causing it.

He would lie on the sofa till about 3pm, at which point id consider it was probably long past toilet time - id lift him off, and he would just stand there, looking confused, and shaking slightly.

Its grim not knowing, and my sympathy is with you.

Not the best of photos, but he's alive again now, and we're so pleased to have him back - 

Custom CNC engraved control panels for diy projects - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »

Hi Tod,
 Very sorry to hear about your cat.Most ratters live a charmed life but biting into a rat that has been eating poison can make any cat very ill, They lick the blood which is highly concentrated,Even a lot of old terriers die this way,instead of building up a tolerance to the poison,it stays in their system and builds up over time.Going on the drip is a good way to flush out the system

I am sorry to hear your about your dog Julian,
                                From what you have said,it sounds very like chocolate poisoning. Stands looking confused and shaking slightly, (In shock) Very few people realise how toxic Chocolate is to our canine friends,Some chocolates are worse than others and some dogs can withstand more than others before going into shock. One whole bar of dark chocolate is enough to make a medium sized dog quite ill. For some reason the older breeds like Spitzs,Chows or Akitas will vomit up chocolate or peanut butter immediately they eat it by mistake. You would have spotted Warfarin poisoning ,with the bloodshot eyes and blood dripping from his tackle and the Vet would have soused that immediately and put Vit K in his drip.
      Some dogs (escape artists) can get very ill chewing through the bottom of a door that has been treated with red lead oxide,  But the standing still ,looking confused and having little tremors pass over him sounds very like Chocolate,
                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
talisman

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »

Biff

Many thanks for the info, I knew that chocolate was poisonous but I did not know what the signs were .... Now that I know means action can be taken much sooner, so thank you.

I also know that raisins and grapes are poisonous to dogs, My Paterdale is for ever waiting for one to drop on the floor ..... you can leave a plate of chips on the floor and he will not touch it unless he was told its ok ... but a grape, now thats a different story
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2014, 05:24:31 PM »

Hallo Tod, our fingers are crossed for your cat. fingers crossed!

We had a cat a few years ago that succumbed to poisoning Sad   the vet thought it could be anti-freeze, he said the cat was very dehydrated and put him on a drip and gave us a tip. He said if our cats ever looked off colour or listless  to pinch a small fold of skin above the shoulder gently and lift it a little. If the skin does not return quite rapidly to its normal position it would indicate that the cat was dehydrated and sick and something should be done. He suggested trying all the cats favourite drinks to see if it would drink, but not to delay seeing the vet if it would not drink for more than a day.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
julian

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »

I am sorry to hear your about your dog Julian...

He was in at the Vets the thursday before last for a routing op and went down hill after.  The only day he seemed more perky was the day he wouldnt eat his meds - we only put 2+2 together later...

His symptoms matched those written on the "possible side effects" perfectly, except for that he had a temperature also.

This was aggravated by the vet hitting "2" on the keyboard, when they should have hit "1", when printing off the dosing.

So, basically, all week, he was getting double dose of a pain killer that he may have been sensitive to at normal doses.  We, of course, feel terrible, as, effectively, we were (at the vets command) poisoning him : (

He has had all the kidney and liver tests, and nothing bad is showing, and he is getting back to his old self again.  We are just so happy to have him back that the stress of last week is being eclipsed.

Thank you for your comments on the chocolate, but, in this case, the culprit was found - but, yes, poisoning it was : (

Custom CNC engraved control panels for diy projects - http://thebeast.co.uk/?page_id=21
M

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »

Tod, no advice or suggestions, but my best wishes, hope Trexie feels better soon.

Now for the bad news, looking at that photo, and sorry to break this news, but I'm pretty sure the cat on the right is stuffed!

Mart.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »

Thanks chaps.

A bit better news tonight, blood results back nothing showing apart from dehydration. She is still on the drip, but has actually eaten something for the first time in a week. Fingers very firmly crossed she is on the mend, but she is mighty angry.

Julian thoughts are with you, it is the feeling of complete helplessness.

Mart, tea cosy really , my cat disguise hat.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »

The little princess has returned home.  Now eating which is really good news. Looks a bit bizzare with shaved patches where the tubes and needles were stuck in, vets in Pleyben were fabulous. No one has any idea what went wrong, so hopefully mended.

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »

Good news Tod, a  relief all round, I am always amazed at how quickly some animals recover from what looks like a really serious illness, wish I was the same Grin

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »

Desp,  Thanks, Mrs T and I were completely stressed out, amazing how the smallest creature can so dominate the house.
How about a few days R&R in Finistere if required?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: