navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 117132 times)
M

« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2015, 10:04:32 PM »

Going well, she's a star. She did approach Flash gently, but still got a good smack in the face, but that seemed to reduce tension all round.

Later on Flash returned and seemed a little more interested in her, then chilled out, here's a video with Wifey on guard ready to protect eyes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bapvydpot3yec5w/When%20Flash%20met%20Fifi.AVI?dl=0

She has a crate to sleep in, and is used to it, in fact she's popped in several times today already when she fancied a nap.

Unfortunately Wifey is away volunteering from Friday morning to Sunday evening, so things will probably get a little exhausting, especially all the UN work to avoid regional conflicts. But fingers crossed they'll all be friends soon ..... ish.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »

The saga of the feline dynasty drags on and on,
                               Tom ,you could say,has become more wild and less charming. He took his meals for granted and decided that he would only bother with me when he was hungry. Tom would be fed first to prevent him from raiding his mam,s dish as well. he is now as big as Plu. So after a rather aloof meeting,where Tom sniffed his dish, looked at me and moved away some 6ft or so, more or less saying,,"fill er up", I decided that Tom was somewhat spoiled, and fed neither him nor his mam that evening.. i was also quite shocked to discover that Plu was looking after 2 kittens instead of one that we thought was blind and helpless..I wrote some nonsense on the 7th of Oct scientifically calculating these facts,but Wednesday last ,I accidentally discovered their resting place,perched on a dead branch about 4 ft above the ground in a very difficult spot to reach, So there I was standing there ,mouth hanging open looking at these two little bundles of fur asleep in the most daft place you could imagine. I got pics but the distance was from 40ft away,when I went to get closer,they just melted into the undergrowth.
 So I told Mrs Biff and we had a bit of a laugh about it. I also stepped up Plu,s rations but this evening they went hungry..So early yesterday morning, there was a Q assembled in front of my jeep on the street..There was no mistaking the intent,,they were letting me know that I needed to get off my rear end and feed them,,4 of them, and we got to see the Kittens playing in the early morning sunlight.
  All things Bright and Glorious,!
  So this morning, After walking the hounds, we went to open the gates and on the return journey, I happened to look across the front lawn, Diese was pointing and there on the old Lawn cuttings in the corner, under the ash, was one kitten, black and white but the other all black one had two heads.. Being half asleep,I thought that most strange and began to walk over to investigate, The two heads parted to reveal two all black kittens and of course now we have 3 kittens. both Plu and Tom were 30ft away waiting for their breakfast..
  The guile and deceit that these feral cats are capable off is quite frankly astonishing. They tell massive lies and I remember Plu quite clearly crying and looking into the empty nest as though I or someone else had made off with her kittens. Even Yesterday morning, as we watched the kittens feeding from the food bowls for the very first time, there was only two kittens. Tom did not know he was being watched and we noticed how gentle and caring he was with the kittens, pushing the food across the dish towards a kitten. Yet in my presence. He would apparently trample them and act careless.
 We could clearly see yesterday morning that there were only two kittens visible which means Plu kept one out of sight just in case things went wrong. Tom has acted as the foreign diplomat all along. He was the one who made it possible for therm to survive and it would not surprise me in the least that he would return to Plu,s kittens and regurgitate his food for them.
  These are genuine wild animals and in a way I should be thankful for any kind of relationship with Tom. But sadly we now have 5 cats and that is a problem. Mrs Biff says that Plu is now carrying another load. Many years ago, I had a love/hate relationship with the famous Mrs Hubs, I admired her very much but she hated the sight of me and made it very clear. She was a fearsome character. I had real bother trapping her in the end and a charity took her away and neutered her. She never forgave me and still stalks my dreams. This creature could appear out of nowhere,just sitting a few feet away on a grassy bank and when I would jump, he would just stare at me and slowly melt away into the brush.
  I have no idea how all this is going to work out, they were living here long long before I ever arrived and will continue to do so long after I am gone. As for Tom, I have been warned that he will become quite dangerous and wicked. Time will tell.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »

Tom sits above then to the right,watching over therm while Mam is off gathering newts. She will take the tail of the newt and let him go. The tail is the only part they eat. They also eat the large dragon flies, Needless to say, there are no birds about and it is ages since we saw a Robin. The Robins here were very tame and would hop about the garden after me.
    We used to have two gangs of magpies that were very loud and aggressive. Then something happened and they began to get wiped out.  We get the odd visit from one or two but the moment they see Plu, They go hopping mad and squaking all over the place,circling above her in the air. Maybe they have bad memories but their nest were some 50ft up the trees.We were delighted to see the back of them.
                                                                                         Biff
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:41:44 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2015, 10:21:05 PM »

A little update on the feline saga,
                                  Tommy has come through a lot. If he were human,he would have been taken into care long ago. His Mam used him and abused his trust to a remarkable degree. She figured it out that if she hung around when Tommy was getting fed,then she was get a bite to eat as well and also eat his when she got my back turned. Time and time again,she would take her kittens and go walk about,leaving Tommy behind sometimes. Then weeks would go by and Tommy would grow tame and friendly, then Mam would return and Tommy would become distant and unpredictable. It looked like he was going to follow in his Mam,s footsteps. Plu became more ruthless than ever with Tommy. He became the baby sitter and was very protective toward the kittens. I most certainly did not expect that side to him. The kittens meanwhile behaved in their normal frightened, paranoid way and only came within 6ft of me when absolutely starving but Tommy was always the diplomat and a line of communication.
   He plays the role of diplomat very well, especially if the kittens are around and his Mam is watching from a distance. This is new and has only started this past few weeks. Other things have happened as well, Plu,s youngest disappeared a week ago and we think that a roaming pair of dogs might have caught it napping on the front lawn. It was the weakest and slowest of the 3. And now another kitten has lost favour with Plu and this is the strange bit,,Tommy keeps her in his nest in the green store at night time. She is not very strong and he lets her feed out of his dish but sometimes holding her head back with his left paw while he slurps the grub. The other kitten, a pure black long legged tom like his dad, stays with Plu someplace else. So for some reason they have split up. Perhaps a defensive strategy .
  Tommy in the meanwhile has taken over the place. He is gracious and friendly with Mrs Biff. he comes when he is called and likes going for a walk down the yard with me. He loves to see me rooting in the undergrowth and if I lift a sheet of tin or such he will jump to the right place to intercept anything that would break cover but there are no rats around here. He and his Mam have incredible patience and can wait for hours sitting motionless in the undergrowth for anything foolish enough .Tommy will even follow me in the front door with Diese and old Nat looking on amazed, but we are not ready for that yet. Any outside meeting than they have had so far have been extremely wary. Diese would like to give Tommy a playfull clout with his big paw ,which has a remarkable effect on Tommy,which gives Diese a bit of a shock, but some day in the near future, perhaps a quiet Sunday morning, I will lay down their dishes on the floor of the lounge and see if Tommy can eat in peace. I got a feeling it will go well. Tommy has the Leatroids of a lion and nothing will faze him.The blood of Mrs Hubs runs strong in his veins. Yet it is hard to believe that a wild and aggressive angry bit of work like Plu can produce such a charmer like Tommy. He still has a lot of growing to do yet but already the big muscles are standing out on his neck and chest. He is turning out to be quite a character.
                                                           Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2015, 07:41:41 AM »

It's a slippery slope Biff!! Grin

They turn on the charm and before you know it......

Great story waiting for the next episode. fingers crossed!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Bodidly

« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2015, 08:06:06 AM »

Meet Lottie. A three year old working collie. First dog we have had since my legendary Jack Russell (Pugwash) who lived to 22 years old. For years felt like no dog could ever replace her but the farm needs a new working dog and Liz has been desperate for a house dog so Lottie has both tasks of working the sheep and entertaining Liz.

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »

Well done Beau. She looks wonderful.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »

One happy looking dog Beau,
                       Pugwash is a great name for a Jack Russell terrier  fingers crossed!. I must remember that one,,(Puggi)
                                                    Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »

Great Beau she looks lovely!

I love collies. 2 of them here

Bodidly

« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2015, 07:37:55 PM »

Great Beau she looks lovely!

I love collies. 2 of them here

Any tips on how to stop them redecorating the house after each trip outside? Fed up with cleaning up mud already
Bodidly

« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »

One happy looking dog Beau,
                       Pugwash is a great name for a Jack Russell terrier  fingers crossed!. I must remember that one,,(Puggi)
                                                    Biff

Can't take the credit for "Pugwash" she was briefly my brothers dog and the kids named her after their favorite cartoon but it suited her.
gravyminer

« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »

Best pet name ever was from someone oop north  who regularly posted here in Navviland,

a cat called ' Cooking Fat '   extrahappy

gravyminer
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »

Beau,
We have a shower head attached to an outside tap, gets the worse off!
There are more dog towels in the wash than our stuff.
Plus side they are lovely!

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »

Like tod, I have a pile of old towels but without the shower. They love having a towel around the head.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2015, 09:35:05 AM »

Our two are pretty good and avoid the mud,
                                 However sometimes they do get carried away and I have to hose them down. I have large towels hanging over the rads inside the porch door and the really like the good hard rub for drying down. We are told that the wet dog smell is not too obvious in our house but maybe people are being polite. It is a good job that wet dog is one of our favourite smells.
    I also use the steel comb at least once a week. They like that.
                                                                          Biff

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: