navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 120084 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2016, 05:04:32 PM »

Wow what a pack.
Are you the alpha male?
I recon that the dog towels take up more washing than the two of us combined and we only have 3
Great picture GB surrender

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Greenbeast

« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »

ha ha most certainly not, that privilege goes to my good lady Smiley

In fact she has always said "last in, first out" (only one dog has come in since me and i think she loves him enough to make an exception), that shows you my place in the group.... surrender

Tell me about it, it's crazy, the washing machine and tumble dryer are alwasy going  help
Before Charley i lived alone in a small farm property with one cat. Talk about chalk and cheese. In addition to the 7 dogs we also have 8 cats (They won't sit for a nice picture like the dogs  Grin )
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2016, 11:00:34 AM »

I can agree, whilst i'm an Alpha, I'm still lower down the pack than "Special Ed" (one of many names you'll hear him referred to as).

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2016, 11:22:17 AM »

Christmas present ?

The alpha is in the box genuflect genuflect genuflect

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »

There is a change in the weather,
                              We have had our first serious hard freeze but at least it is dry out there, Grin. Blink continues to thrive and grow. Her relationship with Diese is a strange one. He is no Lennie Small and she no Curley,s wife but there have been time when she has walked away completely covered in slobber and not happy about it. Little by little she shows her self to care and that is a surprise. Last night she got somewhat over zealous and leapt up on a shelf in the corner knocking down a few dust catchers with a right old bang. Diese retreated to the other side of the room and i went and picked up the bits and put them slowly back on the shelf. I was very aware of her sitting next to me,looking sideways at what i was doing. There was no scolding or harsh words,there was no need, Diese,s actions said it all. I just picked her up and sat her on my knee and there she stayed quite still for a good half hour with Diese dozing next to us.
  The early morning boisterous activity is just the same as her Mam,s and siblings. She gets hyper just before dawn and can hardly stop to eat when I open the cage. So this must be some kind of thing that cats in general do our what this breed does but I could well do without it. For a while she had taken to launching herself off the floor, landing on the headrest of my rocker,flipping back onto the front edge of the seat and sending the lot crazy, but after a few discouraging words she eased off on that one. She is spoiled rotten but somehow I think it is the right thing to do. She is sensitive despite being very extrovert and showing off all the time. Out in the yard,she will not bother me unless I call her, She does her own thing. Diese will go looking for her unless I say No.  Her cage is left open for her to come and go to her litter which she uses every time. She is a very clean animal and touch wood,there have been no mistakes yet. I always know when she want to be left alone to go and do her business in her cage, she gets visibly agitated and after a few dummy decoy moves,will slip off and disappear on Diese, I tell him to leave her be. Then she will come out looking for him. So far I have only seen her do one thing that annoys him and that was teasing old Nat who yelped in pain after being woken by Blink hiding by her stubby tail and clawing it,then moving to her paws. She has stopped that.
  So they can find their own way with just the slightest touch of the tiller and a little reward. It is nice to see and a great reward in itself.
                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2016, 01:04:33 PM »

It's that time of year again. This morning has seen my first pair of blue tits investigating the nest-box on the workshop wall. It's north-facing and sheltered, so they might just be looking for a roost. It froze last night, and Mr weather says it will be very cold tonight, maybe minus 10c. I'm not sure it's the right time to start raising a brood before the leaves have broken and the insects/caterpillars/food becomes available.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
M

« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »

Here's some picks of Fifi getting used to her jacket. Nobody told me she'd be 20kg at 6 months!

Mart.

PS. Did ponder saying something about a pretty b***h in uniform, but decided I'm too classy to post that sort of smut! M.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2016, 05:09:40 PM »

Wonderful! She looks more real than the dog on the logo. Grin
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »

She is the picture of health M,
     and a credit to your care.
                     Lovely dog,
                                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »

Lovely M great photos. Absolutely adorable.

How does she get on with Flash?

Well done.

M

« Reply #250 on: February 03, 2016, 07:25:54 AM »

Thanks guys, she is a sweetheart.

Tod, she 'sort of' gets on well with Flash. They were good from day one, and I made sure to protect her eyes as he got used to her and told her he was the boss, but I didn't want to force it, so didn't make them spend time together.

Unfortunately as fast as Flash was letting his guard down, Fifi was growing, so we've had a friendly stalemate. Flash squawks at her (as he was feral he doesn't know how to meow) in a friendly way, and will walk close to her if she is sleeping. But when she's bouncy he skirts around her, and she'll half chase him, so long as his pointy ends are facing in the other direction.

We've got Fifi to sit and placed cat treats nearer and nearer to her, but everytime Flash gets within about a foot of her, she backs away. When Flash shows he's friendly, she squats down, bum in the air then bounces and barks in a friendly way, but that makes Flash hiss ...... so it seems they are both friendly and happy and giving off all the right signals, but have a language problem.

I'd say they are right at the point of nose touching, which could happen today or in 6 months time, after that I expect they'll be good friends and Flash will spend a lot of time rubbing up against her, he seems that sort of friendly cat, quite pack-ish, for a cat.

Moe our extremely nervous 15yr old (ex feral kitten) has simply decided she's the devil, so sleeps upstairs in the day, then goes out at night when the dog/baby gates are open, and she's locked in her crate.

Mart.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:27:48 AM by M » Logged

M

« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2016, 07:39:05 AM »

Got a new toy for Fifi.

She tends to eat her food very, very fast, so this is a way of slowing her down a bit, and also a lazy way to exercise her. Here's the kit:

A food dispenser, an activation button, a rubber holder for the button, and a large lump of MDF (upside down) to stop her knocking the button around, or, believe it or not, carrying it over to the dispenser! Interestingly, with the MDF lump on it, she touches the button gently with her nose, but without the MDF she pounces on the button and green holder with her paws.

The dispenser is a little random on how much comes out (which is adjustable) so to prevent too many 'blanks' I opened the gap a bit more, but mixed in 50% carrot chunks to spread it out a bit. Whilst she's playing with this, I get the rest of her food ready and soaking in some water.

Video of Fi using it.

Mart.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »

Good one Mart,
            Great training for using remote controls. I like the way she takes her time going back and forth.
  She is one clever dog.
                                                Biff

M

« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »

Cheers Biff. I'm quite surprised how controlled (nice little trot) she is. But without the wood weight, she goes a bit hyper, pouncing on the button and rubber holder. Perhaps she's a bit unsure of the wood as it doesn't quite balance (needs thicker pads) so she leans over it and very gently touches the button with her nose.

What's interesting to see also is if it doesn't beep (when she doesn't press it properly) she turns back and does it again, so she's learnt no beep no food.

She's doing well, but a little too friendly and still puppy jumps up at people when off the lead. She thinks everyone is her best friend, but 21kg of bouncy (often muddy) puppy is some folks dream, and some folks nightmare. I wish everyone was an easy going dog lover.

Mart.

nowty

« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2016, 11:22:40 PM »

My cats have a habit of finding the most sunny warmest position in the garden.

As it was very sunny today I moved my cold frames away from the walls a little to allow some air flow and it did not take long for my cats to take advantage.

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: