navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 120042 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »

hysteria hysteria
They will be after room service ñext  whistlie
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:25:23 AM by todthedog » Logged

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2016, 08:25:54 AM »

Hi Nowty,
          Maybe they used to watch a little mouse run around in there before you moved it away from the wall and now they are inside waiting hopefully for it,s return.
   They also get massive protection from eagles and vultures,wolves and Arctic foxs. Too much TV is bad for our furry friends. Our poor hound flattens his ears every
   time the creepy music starts in "Midsummer,s Murders".
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »

, He is sitting down in the back and the seat is tilted forward.
   This is the best way for him to travel. He sits with his rear end braced into one corner and he does not have to work hard to keep his balance. If the rear seat is flat,
   there is too much room for him to get hurt if I had to brake hard in an emergency. He loves the jeep and wants to sit in the back all day if he can.

This is where he was today, The hard wet sand is good for his paws and undercarriage.

There is a national school gable end to the left of this pic.. The road to Glengesh/ Glencolmcille is across the sand running along the foot of the mountain. You can see the waterfall to the left of the pic.

The view might be awe inspiring but you cannot eat a view,. Many,s a strong heart would have arrived home from school,,footed turf,,tatty hoked, counted the few pennies he had,walked this road to the boat and never came back. Desolation road may be fine for the tourist, but it is mean street for the farmers who try and live here.

Glengesh in the middle.The road goes straight up the mountain untill near the top where there are about 4 or 5 switch backs, Not for the faint hearted in icy conditions and it does freeze quickly. Dylan Thomas would have walked that road in his time.
                                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2016, 12:44:33 PM »

Grin
What fantastic pictures, he looks a very happy boy.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »

Believe it or not,
               We have a forecast for frost and snow
                                           Biff

M

« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »

Fifi has got a new boyfriend. Not content with shoving her nose under a gate at the bottom of the road to greet the Dogue de Bordeaux every time we pass, she has now made 'super best friends' with Alfie:

Alfie is a 15 week old Newfoundland. He's 20kg, and has paws like mits, they're twice the size of Fi's already. In a few more weeks he'll probably be taller and longer than her, and push past her 26kg weight. She won't be winning many more wrestling matches as his power is already incredible. For reference, Fi is about the size of a small adult female Lab now and is 9 months old.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #261 on: May 09, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »

Old Nat,s grave,
                Is almost down flush with the front lawn. I will tidy it a bit more before I mow the whole lawn. Diese has slowed down a lot and if we are not careful
  he will start to slip away. So I have been chasing through the "Dogs for sale" adds looking for the "Right one".
 I think I found her but It will be a few months before we can be sure. I liked what i saw in her pics. Now you might think that there would not be a lot that you could
 tell from looking at dog pics but I believe that you can see enough to put you off. The camera can betray a lot in a dog. She is supposed to be 2 and a half years old
 but they are never ever younger, certainly older but never younger, I was once sold a dog that was supposed to be 3 years old and was 5 years+ instead, however
 she gave us the best years of her life and switched to my side within 2 hours of meeting 4 legged Biff and myself. She could hardly tolerate the sight of her previous owners.
 I was supposed to collect Shelia from Galway yesterday but I cancelled on Friday night, I had been carrying and stacking logs and I was simply knackered, however
 today, I head south to collect her and hopefully all will go well. She should put a bit of life into Diese,,who is now..........."Old Diese" Grin
 He is one of the most thoughtful, kindly and considerate beings on the planet,,though he don,t look it, but he is. I will have to make sure that he is not taken advantage off.
 Old Nat was his perfect companion, She adored his intelligence and he was so keen to demonstrate it to her, she did lay down the law to him when required.
 She ended up watching the dog shows, on telly with him, so see what he was getting excited about. Hopefully Shelia will settle in.
            It is going to be very hot out there,,I am hoping for a few hours rain around 3pm.
                                                                                   Biff

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:45:17 AM by biff » Logged

MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #262 on: May 09, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »

Almost lost our oldest dog (the sensible one) to hypoxia yesterday, close call now monitoring her.

she lay on the granite floor to escape the heat & be close by while we milled around the house.
whilst no-one was in the room she tried to get up, her collar looped around the "aesthetically styled" top to bottom, panicked & tried to pull upwards.. disasterous results.

Wife walked into kitchen whilst dog was panic fighting the situation, shouted for me, I had propel two of the other 3 now very excited dogs out of the way to give enough space to bodyslam the dog to the floor in order to be able to manouvre her collar to a point where it could be freed.

(the clip release was under so much pressure that there was no movement / purchase to get it off).

Can't tell what has gone on inside the brain (obviously) & she is an older dog now so anyones guess.. hoping it doesn't bring on a stroke or similar.
She is sleeping it off today, but ate ok last night (always a sign)

One of those things that you don't deem to be a hazard till it happens! ..samsung fridge, would have been a whole different story if it had been one of the other dogs with more "panic strength" & youth.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:21:37 PM by MR GUS » Logged

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #263 on: May 09, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »

You did well Gus,
              You saved the day, Little accidents like these are always waiting in the wings.
  Some 40 years ago, I had a pair of very good Shepards, I attended a school where Billy Maybury was one of the trainers.
  One of the excercises that I gave my best dog was to bounce a ball of a wall that came back approx 8 to 10 feet abope myself and the dog,
  He could easily leap up and catch the ball,then return it to me and wait for the next one, The ball in question was a big solid rubber one,
 approx 80mm in diameter, Billy warned me twice to get rid of the ball.
  This day, I was throwing the ball as usual, about the 4th time he jumped to catch it, He seemed to miss it and when he landed he began looking everywhere for it,
  I had been watching him closely and was mystified, This guy never missed,! I remember standing there wondering where the ball had gone and then I noticed my dog begin to stagger and go down,,,  I ran over and looked down his throat. I could see nothing, then I felt the big lump at the top of his chest. It was no good trying to catch him round the stomack and suddenly try to burst it out. I had very little time left and I forced my hand down his throat and with the other hand, I pushed on the lump and slowly guided the ball back to daylight.
 I hammered on his chest, caught his two front paws and slammed him off the deck, I shook him like mad and he stirred and woke up, not the slightest bit bothered,
 The first thing he did when he got to his feet was to go and try and pick that ball up. "Oh god no!" I said. I was covered in sweat and I headed into the house.
 His vocals were undamaged. Zac,,who was Billy,s top dog was not so lucky, Billy damaged them doing the same thing as I did, leaving Zac with no bark.
 My dog went from strength to strength, Peaked at 6 years old and gently went into retirement. He lived to the ripe old age of 13years but was only a shadow of his young days.
  That is how dogs differ, If they are too fine bred, they do not stand the test of time and need the vet just that bit too often.
                                                                             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2016, 04:12:32 PM »

Well it did not happen,
                     I got a call around 12 that told me the collection was put off till tomorrow.....perhaps.
  Life and dogs are like that. If you buy a dog, pay for him there and then and take him with you because things might be different when you return.
  It might happen and it might not,
                                        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2016, 10:41:26 PM »

The call came and off I went south to collect this Lass,  ( Gawwwd but I am tired)
. She has had a very long day but hopefully it has all been worth it,
    She is very feminine ,charming and Diese was on his best behaviour. Their introduction was quite exciting with Diese standing back wondering what kind of a neurotic
   dame i had landed him with. Ah,! but she s not to be rushed even though she fancies him to no end..Then he just played Mr Cool." Take your time babes, I ain,t going nowhere"
    Then she fell asleep. We will soon find out what kind of a life she has had up until now..She has had no training to speak of and the people who took my money did not seem to
    know a lot about her. So she could have been retireved from some pound between here and Galway.. However.. her head is steady and solid and despite all the stresses of the day
    she did well.She has the head and build of a Shepard that I had over 40 years ago. At the moment,she cannot believe her luck, She will have to be trained to climb the stairs and her
    little curiosities will have to be checked. She is an excellent clean slate and with a little help, she will learn to enjoy herself properly.

(where am I)
                                              Biff

M

« Reply #266 on: May 11, 2016, 07:31:50 AM »

Hiya Biff, she looks gorgeous. I've met simply too many dogs now to still have true favourites, but I think my heart still belongs to GSDs and Rotties.

Did you hear about the signs in Meath telling people to keep certain breeds on leads and muzzled? Wifey doesn't bother usually with this sort of thing, but she was outraged enough to post a response asking how GSDs can be classed as dangerous when they are used as guide dogs.

Thousands unhappy with dangerous dog warnings in Meath

The Public Safety Notices, which have been erected in a number of locations across Co Meath in the past week, warn that additional legal requirements are needed to protect children and adults in the vicinity of listed breeds of dogs.

It calls on owners of these breeds to ensure their pet is leashed and muzzled, wears a collar bearing the owners name and address and is under the control of a person over 16 years of age.
The dogs that appear on the notice are the American Pit Bull Terrier, the Rhodesian Ridgeback, the Bull Mastiff, the Doberman Pinscher, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the Rottweiler, the German Shepherd, the English Bull terrier, the Japanese Akita and the Japanese Tosa.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #267 on: May 11, 2016, 10:57:19 AM »

Hi M,
   Those notices went up in Letterkenny some 10 years ago, I think I was the only one who muzzled  dogs. I had to remove the muzzle after a few weeks because  other dogs tried to take advantage and attack my dogs. You could hardly credit it but that is exactly  what some dogs will do.
  I accepted the ruling back then and i would accept it even more now. Things have changed drastically here on the canine scene. We have at least 7 breeds of dogs that are banned completely in the UK. These dogs are selling openly in the free adds, etc. Many of them need experienced handlers. When the pit bulls got banned from England,,a lot of the owners sent their dogs to N/I to wait out the ban, thinking perhaps that it might be lifted. The results was that N/I got the very best bloodlines in Pit bulls( If you like that kind of thing, which i don,t) But you have to remember that we now have breeds of dogs here that could have a couple of Pit bulls for breakfast. 10 years ago, The America Akita,(the larger more aggressive one) cost 1200euros a pup now they are selling cheaper than rotties, But there are other larger and much more aggressive, specalised breeds for sale.(Mastiff breeds). Argentena, Peru, Italy, Span and Portugal.
  Then you have the east European group of Shepards,From Romania right across to far eastern Russia, The Baltic and Turkey. These are massive breeds but Shepard based.
  The modern Malinios is obviously carrying Pit bull blood, I have absolutely no doubt about that. These dogs are all turning up in Ireland and people can own one in a small terrace house.
  I shared space with a Canadian Timberwoof some16 years ago, He was awesome and the guy who owned him,just lived in the semi next door.He just had an ordinary dog licence.
 There is no talk about restrictions on licences as yet but there will be.
 I have to be honest and accept that there are people who are quite unhappy and uneasy to meet me walking my dogs, So I leave the path and give them right of way every time.
 I know that a perfectly well trained Shepard can attack and seriously injure a child for reasons that are not obvious at the time. There are also children with different brain patterns
 That will unsettle a dog and make them aggressive, just like mentally unbalanced people will unsettle a dog.
 Putting a muzzle on a dog is a gesture of goodwill and understanding, It is not a sign of weakness or perhaps having had the cops around to the house.
 It is good sense.
                      Biff

gravyminer

« Reply #268 on: May 11, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »

Biff
she looks lovely and reminds me of my last german shepard.
In my experience they are pretty smart dogs and train easily.

Do you think she is under three ? She kinda looks young and fit.

On the animal communication front, I watched that video a couple of times I referenced on another thread, regarding South African communicator Anna Breytenbach and was able to pick up what she was doing ......

So a few days later I went up on the hill / moorland nearby and wandered over to a group of wild ponies who were quietly grazing.
They are used to humans wandering around  so I got within about 10 m of the lead animal, sat quietly on a rock for a couple of minutes just focused on it and put out the thought -

I come in friendship, may we communicate ?

Then (this is the hard bit ) I totally shut down all thought and focused on slow breathing simply allowing any thoughts to 'come in' .
Some might call this meditation.
After about 20 seconds of being shut down but also wide open on the recieve, I was given a clear vision looking through the horses eyes, that had me realise that a horse/pony cannot actually see what its biting because its nose is hugely in the way, then a single word that said everything .......  Busy  ...... totally neutral in emotion. Not curious nor slightly annoyed yet friendly.

Wow ! it was a clear response from that animal.

Its not something Ive been able to repeat since and much harder to avoid 'projecting' what I think the dog is thinking with the family pet but my friend who has worked with Anna, said her first contact with a jack russell terrier had it communicate the thought .......  'I wish I was bigger'  ........  something that I have often felt about them as their teeth are so out of proportion with the rest of them and they often act like they are the size of their teeth.

gravyminer
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #269 on: May 11, 2016, 01:33:34 PM »

GM, writing a post like that must have taken some guts, especially as there is a lot of science argued round here.
those here with a bond & patience with animals will be open to what you are saying  / trying though.

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: