navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 114824 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #330 on: July 05, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »

That's a lovely post and photographs Biff.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #331 on: July 05, 2016, 06:15:49 PM »

Can only agree Stan, smashing post and pictures Biff.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #332 on: July 05, 2016, 08:08:30 PM »

After the dinner,
               Exchanging files via mental bluetooth,
  I honestly believe that they can do that, in fact I am convinced, Old Nat and Diese could certainly pass info to one another with out a sound,

Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2016, 12:47:57 PM »

A little sad news this weekend we lost Confort one of our collies at 11 years old.

Playing happily on Thursday evening. As well as being a great thief (she one nicked and ate a whole baking tray of jacket potatoes)  she was the world's skinniest dog.

Friday morning on her normal walk Mrs T said 'Blimey she is getting a tummy on her'. Friday afternoon she continued to expand, so straight down the vets.

No idea that there was anything serious. An x-ray revealed the worse she was full of liquid, and cancer. No chance of an operation.  She gave the prognosis as a week at best of great discomfort for the dog.

So the decision was made for us.

Her mum died at the same age of the same thing.

It is strange not to be woken with a brown nose in your face at 5am 'Surely it must be time for a walk stupid to just lie and sleep!'

We look back at the fabulous times we had with her, she will be greatly missed.

She has been buried in our back garden we have made a trellis over her soon to be planted up.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »

Sorry for your loss Tod,
                  It is quite upsetting to lose a canine friend like that. you miss them for ages.
   Our new addition is locked up and confined to barracks. She was planning to elope with Diese and he squealed on her.
  It is not all bad, She gets out to play on her own on the end of a lead (mostly) until the fever leaves her or her tail stops making that ? shape.
  They had a fantastic courtship but then the time came and they fell in lust. He howls in a deep baritone like blowing across the top of a bottle,
  She squeals back like some one is trying to kill her from over 50 ft away. It is funny and then it is not so funny,
  We knew this was going to happen and I made all the preparations, Internal cage totally secure, then outside chained run and of course inside where she normally resides.
  Friday last was the first real use of the cage, like today,she is wracked with waves of passion and beyond reason, so she has to be listened to and comforted but still left on her own
 to try and sleep or rest and wait it out, luckily she will be out of danger by Tuesday and then returning to normal over the week, It is tough for both of them but I put a high value
 on the courtship.In a few months time when she is strong enough I will have her spayed and by then she will be pretty well trained up.
 They do remember the kind words and the patience because "they are worth it"
 I plant roses on the graves, It is a bit strange really, Old 4 legged Biff got a red rose and Xena got a white one befitting of Xena, Xena  is on her third rose plant,they don,t do well with Xena,
 However Biff rose always blooms like it is on show and last right through till the depth of winter, Old Nats is only getting going but I guess it will probably lean a few feet to the left over Biff grave, Xena did have this kind of dark, dour humor, with little time for pleasantries. Nat when, her star rose, was all embracing,friendly,kindly generous and still the ultimate business lady.
 Her rose is bound to do well. We do miss them.

Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #335 on: July 24, 2016, 03:44:06 PM »

All the very best to you and yours Tod.

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #336 on: July 24, 2016, 03:58:14 PM »

So sorry to hear that Tod.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #337 on: July 24, 2016, 10:56:11 PM »

My condolences Tod.
When one of my best friends 'Nogs' (Blue Merle) left us to scamper around another field at a good age, it was a sad day. We still have pics of him doing what he loved best, being himself.
N2.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Philip R

« Reply #338 on: July 25, 2016, 01:49:17 AM »

Hello Tod,

I am sorry to here about the loss of your four legged friend.

I recall the loss of my wifes Collie Cross dog, Moss, about 20 years ago after developing prostate cancer, and our 9&1/2 year old black dwarf rabbit, Toby. Both were characters. Yes. the bunny too. (from having him as a rescue pet, I now understand how the Bugs Bunny character was devised .) Have photos of the pair of them in the garden. We did not have another dog for another 11 years. A dogs trust Whippet Collie something  with a great pair of ears and a character so sweet and good natured.     

Kind Regards,
Philip R

M

« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »

Little Fifi

is now 1yr old today, and not so little

She's with us till late September (at least) before heading off for big school for guide dog training and her new life. We've started counting days!

Mart.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #340 on: July 25, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »

Thanks for the kind words chaps much appreciated.

Mart such good pictures, will you be doing it again?  I would find it terribly hard to say goodbye even though it is preplanned.

Hats off to you and Mrs Mart. Grin

M

« Reply #341 on: July 25, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »

Thanks for the kind words chaps much appreciated.

Mart such good pictures, will you be doing it again?  I would find it terribly hard to say goodbye even though it is preplanned.

Hats off to you and Mrs Mart. Grin

Well, the plan ....... it all gets a bit messy.

Apparently we've done well, so our supervisor wants us to have another. However, we'd like our own 'forever' dog first, and Wifey has started to understand what I mean by 'a good mate' now that Fifi is getting older. Nothing wrong with pups, but a faithful friend is the real reward.

So we are going to hang on till the spring, just in case Fi fails, as we'd get first refusal. But she's been accessed and they are very happy with her, so even if she doesn't make it as a guide dog she's almost certain to pass as a support dog, companion dog etc. She comes from a good line, her dad has fathered nearly 400 pups, with 130 making it as guide dogs, and only 70 being withdrawn.

Assuming Fi doesn't come back we'll then get our own pup, but have to wait a year before we can have a guide puppy (to avoid cross training problems, and general chaos). Or we may try for a withdrawn dog, but that'll simply be down to chance.

I think we'll do it again, but have to see just how bad it is when the 'puppy snatchers' come for Fi. Believe it or not, we spent 10 years pondering doing this as we reckoned we were just too soft. Our trick has been to think of Fi as someone else's that we are just looking after for a year. We love her to bits, but are always aware that she's not ours and will be going.

Other puppy walkers have told us it's very upsetting but not a tenth as bad as losing your own dog, for whatever reason, so I think we'll be ok, but check back on me in October (or so?) when the eyes are sore, and the cheeks are wet ...... I may have a different opinion.

Mart.

M

« Reply #342 on: July 25, 2016, 05:06:13 PM »

And just to add, Wifey has just shown me some facebook chats from other puppy walkers with Fi's siblings, so today is also happy birthday to Finn, Flora, Frankie, Fizz and Parker (sponsored dog, so they get to name it).

Mart.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #343 on: July 25, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »

Well done Mart,
  I think I would be really sad to rear such a dog and then have to part with her. I don,t know if I could do that,but imagining the dog,belonging to someone else would certainly help.
           We are in the middle of a passionate romance between Diese and Poor Sheba, It is tricky. I have to move before it gets too physical and lock the dame away. Then He goes off his food, No Tuna, flash cooked mince, lovely jubly or any of his favourite grub could entice him to eat for 48 hours +  however this evening around 6ish, Mrs Biff went down to his feeding station and hand fed him half a bowl, so that is good news at least, meanwhile I also got Sheba to eat a full meal this evening.
   He makes the most human noises. He borrows up under my arm and tries to lift me out of the chair, His eyes tell me he wants to go and have a chat with his true love, I gently calm him down.
 There are no harsh words or laughing, It is a serious matter and hopefully, by Wedensday night we will be out of the woods and by the weekend they will be able to sport and play on our rear lawn once again. You will really get to know your dog in these circumstances. If he will obey you now,then he will always obey regardless. Yet my commands are few if nothing.
 Even Sheba, will wait by the cage till I put the lead on her and go back in under her own steam. She suffers enough without getting bossed about and the patience and care are truly appreciated and not forgotten and in the future when they have a problem,they will never be afraid to tell you or let you know.
 Roll on the weekend,
                          Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #344 on: July 26, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »

Times are tough,
               Poor Diese is heartbroken, He has been denied the right to propagate his line. He has lost weight.
  He sang baritone all night long, His 42" chest resonated on the wooden floor. I slept through it all but Mrs Biff woke a few times.
  Little Sheba slept 20ft away, seemingly untroubled but burning up inside. She ate a hearty breakfast. He once again refused to eat.
  The good news is,that it will soon be over. Soon they will be able to go back to sporting and playing on the rear lawn.
  She will be wiser and so will he..
  I talk to him, I tell him it is all for the best. He will still have his best friend in a week,s time but if he had mated, he would have had to
  endure a life of severe denial, Her family would take preference over him and she would slap him around should he try and interfere.
  Love is blind. He is fast asleep at my feet as I type, She is safely in her cage some 50ft away, He tail is settling down.
  It has not been too bad, We made the necessary preparations and their were no upsets, (touchwood)
  As a young teen,such happening in our town, were regarded with ridicule and bawdy jokes. Ignorance was bliss.
   I checked back through the old pics we have of Diese and discovered that the little bars were there all along, but not as prominent.
  So,,,so much for my powers of observation, facepalm
                                                            Biff
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:28:07 PM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: