navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 114434 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #375 on: October 17, 2016, 10:35:33 AM »

Back in those days above,
                            I attended a dog training school twice a week. One hour on a Sunday afternoon which was a relaxed affair,where I helped with the tea and butties. On the Sunday we got to see how other dogs performed and we had a Gala day every months or so where there were obedience competitions for young dogs. It was semi Civie back then ,the police still controlled half of the management or so we were told. It would have been excellent place to recruit good police dogs.There were easily 40 dogs present on a Sunday. All kinds. The name GDS was not used there. It was certainly in use in the Republic of Ireland and it would be a few years later before England would adopt the GDS name. Back then the naughty bad dog that every one frowned on was the Rottie and sure enough any that turned up at the classes had serious behavioural problems. In fact ,from what i could see,they were a nightmare on 4 legs and were banned on the Sunday training sessions.
  Dog owners starting off, were encouraged to turn up in a Church hall for an hour,s training and this was where the difficult dogs would surface. The management would study the difficult dog,(which would be trying to take a lump out of every dog in the hall) and then decided to either allow the dog to continue or else tell the owner to take it out and exercise it for half an hour and return for the second half of the training session. I witnessed one such evening when a large Babs Woodhouse type lady turned up with a crazy Rottie, When she came back for the second half her Rottie was frothing at the mouth and really intent in getting up close and personal with the other dogs in the hall. One of our trainers asked for the lead as drew the dog out into the centre of the hall, Telling him to sit. you could cut the silence with a knife, I knew that this same trainer was one of the best that there was in the group, After some short consideration the dog decided to attack him and we watched as the dog fought for traction and lunged back and forth on the slippy wooden floor, then I realised why the hall was the venue on a Wednesday night. Grin. Every time he attacked, he got dumped on the broad of his back till finally the trainer took him back to his owner and told the red faced woman to take him away.
  The training sessions were very pleasant social events as well. To be honest, I never won a single thing in all the 3 years I attended but I got great enjoyment and got to realise that there was something big missing. The training methods used were those of the police and the military and they did not allow for dogs using their own initiative. The only books available then, that were able to convey any sense of it all to the reader were the ones by Lorenz. It was many years later that Desmond Morris decided to throw his "Naked Ape" into the ring which was in fact a glossy part copy of Lorenz,s work. There were loads of other books that went off into the fringes ,books on human thinking, Grin that led nowhere. Books by big names that have now been confined to the rubbish bin. It was only the case histories,dealing with wolves that held the key to it all, Lorenz himself as a big fan of the wolf. there is nothing romantic or silly about it ,it had to start somewhere.
  The military and the police would hit the news every decade with accusations of cruelty and mismanagement of our canine friends. They still do. The tales of the many thousands of GSDs that were left behind in Vietnam by the retreating US army are enough to chill you to the bone.
 One of the things that the school looked out for was Good dogs that needed a home and that was why i took an interest in Helga and other Shepards.
 The years go by and the different breeds show improved traits,The Rotties seems to be a very placid easy going fellow these days. the Irish red setter is on a roll. The Germand Shepard are all displaying nervous anxiety traits. The Akita has split in two,the US Akita and the Japanese Akita. I need not say anything about the pitbull only to record that they were not about 40 years ago. You can buy any dog you like in Ireland as long as you have the money and a place to keep it. I am guessing that there are more dangerous breeds of dogs in Ireland per head of population. You can also buy a Canadian timber wolf and take him home with you to keep him on a ordinary dog licence. I recall a job that i was doing for a lady in the heart of Dublin. I saw a massive big wolf looking across the top of the low wall at me. Frank his owner invited me in to meet him. Wolf was his name and he was a fantastic big lump. really cool. I was able to learn from Frank first hand how they worked,how they thought,how they could see through our eyes and that is really scary,they can.
   Like I said before, there are natural dog handlers, I would not class myself as such but yes,there are natural dog handlers and ones who should keep well away from dogs, they just cannot help but bait and tease the dogs to distraction,mental cruelty. you can actually see them doing it in your presence. There is one for everyone as there is a mate for every human, the old dog that lies by the fire breaking wind and barking in his sleep does just as good a job for his owner as the trials dog working sheep his master..They get along good.
                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #376 on: October 17, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »

Great reading Biff! Keep it coming.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »

Saving for tomorrow's morning coffee fingers crossed!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #378 on: October 18, 2016, 07:33:31 AM »

Another great one Biff.
I recall watching a documentary about Helene Grimaud the concert pianist who has a wolf sanctuary.
Wonderful animals.

As Stan says keep em coming.

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #379 on: November 25, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »

My collie Bryn started to develop problems with his rear hips about 2 years back. I must say that it brought a tear to my eye when I had to rescue him from mud on the bank of the brook. From then on we only used gentle entry to the water for stick games. He also began to find it difficult to cross the cattle grid and would end up with the rear legs both falling in the gap. I tried feeding codliver oil for a while but the real breakthrough was glucosamine sulphate tablets. Now both he and I have a 1gm tablet per day at about 6p each. The startling result is a perfect crossing of the cattle grid with him now knowing where all his feet are landing. He also walks very nicely on the level but has had enough at 4 miles, followed by a good sleep.
It's the stone stiles that are the problem now on our walks. A young dog would clear, climb or squeeze through but unless they have a decent gap then a lifting operation follows, something like this; hand OS map to Wife, get into an efficient position, arm under chest, hand under thigh, lift 25kg with front legs scrabbling everywhere and not helping, pass through the wider gap at the top, try to lower gently at the other side whilst falling over, then observe mud on sleeves. On some walks this is repeated many times and mentally recorded as one to avoid. The difficulty is compounded when a small spring-loaded gate is adjacent to the stile or when there is wood and barbed wire there.
Anyway, this is a message of hope because the glucosamine has led to a noticeable recovery in my dog's health.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #380 on: November 25, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »

That is good news indeed Stann,
                              Years ago, I used to get a small anti inflammatory from the vet for my old dogs, It worked wonders and gave them a decent quality of life for another good 2 years and more. I gave 4 legged Biff small doses of asprin after meals and it made a fantastic difference. He was a big age for such a big dog and his old hips were clonking quite badly.
   It is sad to them them in pain. Touchwood our lot seem to be doing well. Diesel will be 7 in March and because of his weight and size, it means he will only have a couple of more years left. He was not supposed to grow as big as he did but he has a brother about 30 miles away in Ballyshannon who is half as big and heavy again..Leon, what a name for a dog.!!.
  Diesel,s dad was around the 45kg max and Cassie His Mam would have maxed around the 40kgs, We are very lucky with him health wise because he is so healthy. Every time we go near the vet,she goes , "Oh Dear,,he is much much too heavy" and I end up making excuses, like he is heavy bones and he has a 42" chest (And he really likes his grub) etc. and we promise to make sure that he goes on a diet .
 He never looks big to us and he is unbelievably clever in small spaces.If you are coming through with a tray of food, He is up and out of the way before you have to speak.
  There are certain parts on "The call of The Wild" that he jumps up and barks at the telly. One is where the indian shoot his master and Buck heads off after the Indian to sort him.There are plenty of worse scenes than that one but for some reason, Diesel will get quite annoyed, the suspense in the music does play a big part but he understand a lot of what goes on.
 I am going to get some of those Glucosamine Sulphate tablets as soon as I can and take the myself. Grin. I don,t know about you lot but this cold weather makes me ache from head to foot
                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #381 on: November 25, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »

It's best to feed the pill with kibble but his game is to finish all the kibble and leave the white pill. Scissoring the pill in half helps and feeding it in the dark helps even more....and if that doesn't work then it goes in the next meal.
As for my own consumption of glucosamine, I really don't know whether it is beneficial; I still have aches in cold weather.
Stan
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 06:23:34 PM by stannn » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #382 on: November 25, 2016, 07:35:02 PM »

Delighted to hear about the dogs improvement Stann
Might give them a try me not the dog Grin

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #383 on: November 26, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »

Does anyone know if you crush cat worming tablets they are still as effective? Or do they have to go down whole.

I have just finished staunching the blood from giving Trex (tyrannosaurus rex) her worming tablet her claws can be quite painful.

Things tried

Covering tablet in cheese,fish,chicken,  no joy
Hiding tablet in food bowl empty except for the tablet.
Having one of those flicky things a bit like a syringe that puts the tablet at the back of the throat. results in bloodshed ours.

She is now twelve and rules the house.

Glucosamine tablets ordered from Big River and we will give them a go.

We are merely her feeble servants.

Any thoughts

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #384 on: November 26, 2016, 01:02:14 PM »

Hi Tod,
       I would guess that they would be more effective crushed.
 Put her in cage just before you are supposed to feed her, Don,t feed elliot or her for a good 4 hours, then get Elliot,s dish next to the cage and feed him only,
  Get nice cooked sausage, take out innards, mix the crushed tablet into the innards and push it back into the sausage. If you place a crushed garlic clove next to the sausage it will mask the smell of the tablet,
  Put her dish on the floor next to the cage and leave the cage door ajar.then be busy doing something else but don,t stay to watch her but keep her locked in the room for fear she might bury the sausage.
                                               Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #385 on: November 26, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »

In this clip it suggests that you ask whether the pill is suitable for splitting Tod. The cat overcoat seems a good idea.
http://icatcare.org/advice/how-give-your-cat-tablet
Muggins here always volunteers to hold the cat whilst Herself administers the pill, AND I always get shouted at for holding the cat at the wrong angle, AND the pill usually ends up on the floor.
Stan

M

« Reply #386 on: November 26, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »

Hiya Tod, I was going to suggest the flicky syringe thingy, but clearly that's no good. Pill crushers are great, so long as the tablet is suitable. But this is what we used for about a year to give 5 daily tablets to one of our old boys (as long as the tabs are smallish):-

Cat stick treats

Loads of makes and flavours out there. Just snap off about 1/2 inch, split half way with fingers or fingernail, then pop the tab inside and squash it back together. You might have to experiment with flavours as some are like beef jerky, cats love em, but you can't 'work' with them as the tabs drop out if not eaten quickly, whilst others are more like cheese consistency, so split and mold back easily.

Also good value at about 10+ tabs to the stick, and perhaps 10 or so sticks to the 1, and easily stored by the tabs as the stick will slide back down the tube a bit, between uses.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #387 on: November 26, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »

Thanks chaps

It is amazing how something so small etc😀

She was born in a cellar and came to us at about 6 weeks no human contact that or a one way trip!!!

She lived up stairs at home hiding during the day and then sneaking under the duvet and sleeping on our feet before going back into hiding in the morning.

This went on for several weeks of occasional glimpses.

She gradually became less nervous. I should add she ate her food Lidl fish the only thing she would eat, us panicking about her starving, and always used her litter tray.

Now at 12 still a fussy eater sits on my lap when she wants, never in Mrs T, hates being picked up a total 5hit. We still love her.
Runs away from Elliott then has enough stops and chases him . Ignores him then goes to where he is sleeping and miaows in his ear.

Are any animals normal

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #388 on: November 26, 2016, 07:58:33 PM »

Stan how old is Bryn?

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #389 on: November 26, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »

13 and a bit now Tod.
Stan

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: