navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 120191 times)
Greenbeast

« Reply #405 on: April 24, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »

That is great!
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »

genuflect fantastic Mart, well done!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Tigger

« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »

I take my hat off to you for being able to train a GD Pup and then pass her on to a new family, not sure I could do the last bit.....

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #408 on: April 27, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »

Hiya guys and girls, got some pics of Fi. The best show the Lady and her partner, and I don't think I should post those (as I don't know them). But here are a couple of nice ones, one with chuckles looking up at the camera, as usual, and one of all three dogs. I think Fi is the nearest (based on shiny teeth, as she's younger (21 months v's 10yrs)) but black dogs are hard to tell apart ..... that's my excuse ..... #BadParent!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:39:26 PM by M » Logged

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #409 on: April 28, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »

Our chums had 5 black labs the youngest​ and the old boy were easy, the 3 in the middle always a puzzle. Sadly I'm usually better at remembering dogs names than people. ralph

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »

After the storm,
  I thought we were gonna get married, settle down and raise a family.

So did I,

Mr and Mrs are not altogether happy, but in a few days time they will be back to normal. His front paws are quite bad.He carries such weight that they suffer in broken rocky ground and he would not feel a thing while he was in the romantic mood but he feels it now. They will be right as rain by next Monday. She is in good nick apart from feeling let down.
It is a measure of how much they trust me that they use me as a guide and do everything exactly as they are told. You would expect it to be different. Her kennels are 50ft to the right of our front door and on exiting, he never ever turned right but headed left, off down the yard and the gardens to read the signs and messages she left,same on the return journey, He would not go to her kennels. My guess is that he was afraid of losing control and that it was easier to do the right thing. He has a very difficult time and would have lost a minimum of 10% of his body weight in that short time. There were no mishaps, no upsets and thankfully everything is coming right again.
                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #411 on: May 25, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »

Fabulous pictures Biff.

Tod used to have exactly the same expression as the 2nd picture down similar colouring as well

Would not mind loosing 10% of my body weight myself. I'm afraid the root cause of that lies well in the past! Grin

GlenW

« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2017, 07:53:48 AM »

Fabulous pictures Biff.

Tod used to exactly the same expression as the 2nd picture down similar colouring as well

Would not mind loosing 10% of my body weight myself. I'm afraid the root cause of that lies well in the past! Grin

He's so cute, now you got me wanting a little pocket pig.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 03:03:23 PM by GlenW » Logged
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #413 on: August 28, 2017, 12:01:09 PM »

I lost my old collie, Bryn, about 5 weeks ago at age 14 years. He had a stroke and a lady vet came out to inject him on the lawn where he lay, whilst Moll was close by to give some appearance of normality. I now do not have my own dog but feel very lucky to be able to walk this pair from the farm, Molly and Kim. Molly is BSc failed and we though that Kim was going the same way. However, she began to take an interest in the sheep and lately has been doing successful collects of  up to 2 dozen ewes.

Kim does a pretty good turn in stripping a tennis ball rather quickly. I can still get the thumbs and middle fingers around her waist.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:01:29 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #414 on: August 28, 2017, 02:24:57 PM »

Nice pics Stann,
               Kim don,t half bring back memories of a dog that I knew years ago, He was left back with a breeder friend of mine because he had absolutely no interest in sheep at 16 months  old, so he went down the country as a pet on a farm of an English people who kept ducks and chickens, He was only there a few months and he was rounding up the ducks and the hens and then going next door and taking their sheep to the English couple,s farm. So My friend was asked for another collie dog, "one with more sense"  hysteria.. No problem he said, Take him back and I have another better looking smooth coated one waiting for you. The English couple were delighted with the new all black smooth coated collie, he also has sticky up ears, So My friend took Joss out to see his sheep once again and lo and behold off he went and bunched them all up in a pile in the center of the meadow,, The following months saw the most laid back relaxed training sessions, My friend W had at least 7 other mature dogs to handle, but Joss was a genuine puzzle, he had every advantage that his breeding bestowed on him,except that somehow he had a little too much brown hair on his flanks,which mostly disappeared as he grew taller but stayed on two of his legs. We thought that maybe a ewe or two give him a hard time during his early efforts as a pup but he worked perfect at 2 years old. W never sold him and always pointed to him later if some one came back with a pup that did not start before 10 months. I recall him as a nice mannerly dog, generally speaking good sheep dogs are snobs. W had breeding ladie who would not give you the time of day,, They just lived for sheep.
  I recall two elderly brothers who had a champion sheep dog that they paid serious money for. This day they send the dog up the field to take the sheep out onto the road. A load of tourists stopped to watch and marveled at the speed of John,s dog,  John mentioned to one of the tourists that they could open the gate and allow the sheep out onto the road and they did,,So this lady asked John how he controlled the dog and John sent the dog right out the field checking for sheep and then dropped him almost out of sight sight, Then he call the dog because the sheep were everywhere all over the road,the dog knew this and came barreling down the hill , Just as he was about to shoot through the gate opening ,a child of about 10 pushed the gate and the dog ran headlong into the solid edge of the galvanised farm gate. The dog just dropped on the spot ,like he had been shot. The neighbors came running and put the sheep back in the field. John carried the dog home and laid him out beside the big open fire. He came round during the night,when the place was in darkness and nearly went mad in the living room until John calmed him down.
  He never looked at a sheep for the rest of his short life, once they discovered that he no longer wanted to hunt sheep and could see no possible way of bringing him round to the idea. The brother picked up the shotgun, threw the dog a sausage and give him a round in the back of the head. It was a nasty exit for a very fine dog. They would not even let the neighbors breed from him. The people who sold him and even my friend W were horrified at the waste. The brothers never had any luck afterwards. They were old, in their late 70s back then. They themselves, had a miserable exit after being robbed several times, by persons unknown who took large quantities of cash and even the shotgun. they were never caught.
  Yup Kim would be very fast, with sticky up ears and the white bob on her tail,,She is bound to be good,given time.
                                                                                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #415 on: August 28, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »

The 2 come racing up the up the road to see me just before I've finished breakfast. I give them a small amount of canned food, partly because there's a lot in the shed but also because Kim needs it.....she was very ribby. I'll know when to reduce or stop that game but It's been a pleasure to see her growing in strength and, as you suggest, she's very fast.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #416 on: August 28, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »

So sorry to hear about Bryn, Stan they leave such a hole in your life when they go.

Lovely pictures.

As you know we have a sheep dog failed. We love him to bits. Luckily his previous owner was a kind man and even insisted on paying for his jabs.  
This morning he heard me stir about 6:20, the cat was asleep between MrsT and me so as to avoid disturbing the cat. He walked straight over MrsT before collapsing on me and gently biting my nose as a reminder it was time to be up.  The joys of a collie.

When in France he used to herd the ducks and chickens on his own initiative and we would find them in their fenced area with him guarding the door at midday. Not a help for egg laying.

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #417 on: August 28, 2017, 04:00:08 PM »

I've never experienced that Tod as Herself would not let a dog sleep in the house. Cats.....that's another matter. The two park themselves on either side of her, tightly, until after a few hours the temperature rises enough for one to be flicked off.
Elliot must be raising alarm bells at customs with all the travelling!
Stan

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #418 on: August 28, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »

He and Trexie will have done a few miles.
Hopefully the journey is not so long. Brittany to Sweden 2000+   3 dogs one cat one wife in a Dacia sandero. We spent one night in the car we did need the windows open, not just the dogs!

I'm afraid our dog discipline is not good, his basket is next to our bed, where he sleeps. Most of the time, he does occasionally try his luck, and you wake up with a black and white lump stuck next to you.
One of the things I am most looking forward to is letting him really run, dogs are on a lead here most of the year. Beaches and hills away from sheep here we come.

Trexie caught a sparrow this morning and bought it in to show me. Dropped it on the floor and it promptly flew off.  We then spent a half hour trying to find it. It just vanished. It turned up perched behind my bath towel. Trying to catch the little **ugger or get it out the bathroom window. Animals do keep you on your toes! Grin

M

« Reply #419 on: October 02, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »

We have an October lodger. A lovely (if he stops chasing the cat) 19 month old Lab guide dog. He arrived Friday afternoon.

Don't judge the belly, I've been relatively stationary for 5 weeks!

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: