navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 58311 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #420 on: October 02, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »

Mart, you look like you're down there for a reason, rather than the pup's convenience. Is recovery dragging?
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #421 on: October 02, 2017, 09:50:58 PM »

I,m guessing, it must be some kind of a back exercise mat Stann.
        What ever it is Mart, get well soon. You are a gluten for punishment, Taking on another dog, knowing you are going to suffer another heartbreak,parting with it.
 but it is an admirable generous act my friend, one that I am sadly lacking in. I salute you.
                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #422 on: October 03, 2017, 07:38:28 AM »

Mart, you look like you're down there for a reason, rather than the pup's convenience. Is recovery dragging?
Stan

Hiya Stan, things are going well, but yes it's a drag. Had my first physio appointment yesterday and Scout came with us, as we didn't want to leave him on his own for 2hrs yet, as he's still a bit anxious. He was perfect at the hospital, clearly a professional, and the staff loved him.

Physio impressed that I'm walking evenly and doing about an hours walk each day, so pelvis mending fine.
Also surprised that I can straighten my elbow, as I couldn't go to town on it because of the shoulder, but I've been doing loads of flexing at home. So whilst it's not 'fixed' it's also not jammed, so full movement will be possible once I'm allowed to be a bit rougher on the shoulder.
Shoulder - SOB - ok, I'll admit it, collar bone breaks are a total PITA (more so than pelvis even ;-) ). But I've got reasonable movement, and after x-rays next week, should get the go ahead to start moving it more. Little bit of trivia I discovered yesterday, they prefer too little movement of collar bones, to be made up for with physio afterwards, as they really don't want to have to do surgery there as there are so many nerves and blood vessels. So it seems policy is to err on the side of caution, and let the bones really fuse first before testing them out, which makes sense.

So, yes, you are right, mat on floor (replaced camp bed) is for me, as sitting is a bit sore, but perfect for doggie cuddles. He really seems to like laying next to me, or even squashing up and shoving his head in my armpit (brave dog). Be interesting to see if this is nervous bonding, or genuine personality as the month goes on.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
M

« Reply #423 on: October 03, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »

I,m guessing, it must be some kind of a back exercise mat Stann.
        What ever it is Mart, get well soon. You are a gluten for punishment, Taking on another dog, knowing you are going to suffer another heartbreak,parting with it.
 but it is an admirable generous act my friend, one that I am sadly lacking in. I salute you.
                                                           Biff                

Hiya Biff. Not sure I'm a gluten, as I get the ups of a month's worth of cuddles as payment. Also Fifi taught us that when they move on it is sad, but not as bad as we'd expected, the crucial thing being that you know they are going, whereas an unexpected loss would certainly break my heart.

Must think seriously now about getting our own dog. Lab or Labradoodle high on the list. Is it stupid that I've still got (in the back of my mind) a wish for an Irish Wolfhound!

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #424 on: October 03, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »

Great to hear that you are making progress Mart.
Go on go on go on get one of your own as well you know you want to!
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #425 on: October 03, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »

Hi Mart,
       I am not so sure if the Irish wolfhound would be a good idea. I knew a friend who kept a few of them and used to exercise them behind his new Mk 2 Cortina estate along Dollymount strand.
 He and his wife were going to breed them and took them to shows. I had my first Shepherd back then and I could see no way that you could ask them do do anything without a bowl of food in your right hand. They were not deaf but just could not care less until they spotted the bowl of grub..That was a long time ago and breeds do change but the few wolfhounds that I have seen since that time, were unfortunately,,no different. Some people read that book  "Marley and Me" and think it is beautiful, I read it and I feel sorry for everyone for getting involved with Marley.
  There is one very old breed that folks don,t Pay much attention to and is a first cousin of the Irish Wolfhound, In fact many years ago, the Scottish Deerhound was introduced into the few remaining Irish wolfhounds to improve the bloodlines, so they are closer than you would think. The deerhound is trainable and has an excellent reputation around this neck of the woods. They are very tough and healthy as a breed. They are a great family dog, very loyal. they are also very very deep, They know what you are thinking, They were bred as hunting dogs but they are much more than that. They are naturals on the lead. Even though they are a very large dog, they can curls up in a ball folding their legs to take up very little floor space., then they go to stand up and everything shoots out into place. Like transformers , anyone who ever knew one will know what I am talking about. They are gentle and kindly to their owners and quite reserved with strangers. If you wanted a dog with the strongest 6th sense,,it has to be the deerhound.                                                          And  their broken merle coat casts very few hairs.
                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #426 on: October 04, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »

Thanks Biff, all ideas welcome. A sensible dog for us would be no bigger than say 30kG and about Scout's size, but I do like big Mastiffs and 'hounds'. Too much choice.

Scout and I fell asleep watching TV last night. I'd probably still be there now if he hadn't started chasing rabbits.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #427 on: October 04, 2017, 07:32:48 AM »

Alternatively a border collie, reading an article about them someone asked how large a garden was required for a collie. The reply came WALES!  When Elliott arrived he had been used to sleeping outside and we were told he would not settle in a house. First night I slept downstairs with all three dogs in case of emergency. They had far more sleep then me taking it in turn to stick a wet nose in my face to check if all was well.  Night two back upstairs, 3am a huge cerfuffle from downstairs, descending rapidly two dogs asleep the cat the middle of the kitchen. No sign of Elliott, who emerged a moment later from hiding under a kitchen unit.
They maintain a dynamic relationship he follow her around until she hops him. He can be fast asleep in his bed and she will stand and  yell at him until he wakes up and follows her. tumble

Great dog loves to walk, but brilliant in the house.
Good for rounding up chickens, sometimes when you didn't need them rounding!
If in doubt ask Stan extrahappy
We are not trying to convince you Mart, really!
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »

I would only agree if you have a lot of time time to exercise them. Tod & I are retired.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: