navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 113096 times)
Greenbeast

« Reply #450 on: December 02, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »

He doesn't like the driving, he can hold his bladder and his bowels very well now, but if i feed him even a couple of hours before driving he usually loses it during the journey.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2017, 10:08:17 AM »

Generally speaking,
                      Young pups don,t like being up front in a vehicle, in the beginning. It is a bit like our first visit to the cinema, It seemed that anything could happen to us as the whole world rushed towards us and we cannot escape. Same with most pups. The dumb ones are happy enough but the more intelligent ones try and decipher what their eyes are telling them. With the results that they get stressed and frightened and that only ends in one way. When pups feel threatened,,they pee and when they get sick, the results are not pleasant. He might be a lousy traveler to begin with but I found that Quells worked for me in several near adult dogs. It just takes time and patience and a little vented box or cage in the rear of the van would get him tuned to the noise and smells of the journeys and then he can start the visual. There is another problem with the constant vehicle traveling. It is something that you don,t hear much about until your dog falls foul of it. The rear hips either left or right,,the one that he lies down on,
   Young dogs and even adult dogs can develop inflammation in the hips, especially if the breed is dysplasia prone. This happens because of the unnatural sideways movement which has a grinding effect between the young heavy bones which are not developed enough to resist. Even pups coming from parents with excellent hop scores can suffer. So while your pup is lying down and you are driving along, his young bones are being worked without the excercise that goes along with it to develop the muscles.
  Then there is the question of speed, Some dogs get really uncomfortable once you reach 70mph. They will actually complain and tell you to lay off the trottle. It is anything but funny to see a grown macho Shepard(A really good one) get confused and distressed like that. Then you realise that they process things differently and in their natural environment, their combined top speed and that of anything coming towards them never tops 70mph. So they are not set up to cope with the visuals of 70mph, Some dogs look down and away.
  This is not meant to lecture you and try and make myself out to be some kind of canine guru. Let me say that i have learned by experience and have paid the bills for the same experience. I have often guessed wrong but I sometines get it right. I would not put pressure on a dog to toilet train it so young,,especially a heavy breed,,they take longer so you just create the environment where he can chill out and relax. Everything is a game and he learns to trust and develop your confidence.. There is that lovely time where we seem to find that right wave length, it is priceless. Don,t worry, it will come.
                                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Greenbeast

« Reply #452 on: December 03, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »

thanks for that biff, luckily i never really approach 70mph! mostly 50.
He has an adaptil collar and i'm trying nutracalm capsules some time before driving.
I'm not pushing the toilet training, i give him opportunities Smiley

He rides in a cage in the fourtrak but with the van, the cab is the only option really.
Never really thought of the hip damage

Yes i concur on the thoughts about speed, have ofte considered this is why animals like horses travel better than one might expect. The speeds are not out of their area of evolutionary experience.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #453 on: December 03, 2017, 11:55:05 AM »

It's not just dogs that get acclimatised to low speeds. After 1 week on a narrow-boat, even 30mph driving initially stretches my brain  Shocked  Approaching a roundabout and taking it all in takes a bit of doing. Poor young pups who cannot rationalise what's going on are bound to have trouble. After a few smelly journeys, our dog always traveled on the floor in the back of the car where she could not see out of the window. I suppose being low between the wheel-base also reduced pitching.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #454 on: December 03, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »

Dogs are a lot like the lotto,
                       You are never quite sure what you have. When I was younger, i had a list of things that Shepherds had to be able to do, so that they could go on to better things. If they could not be trained to do these things without a song and dance,,then they failed. It was no big deal, they went their way and the owners made the best of what they had. I bought into a line of first generation German Shepherd messenger dogs and honestly,they were so easy to train that they spoiled me. They could fetch your keys,, your boots and outside if you were doing a bit of fencing, They could hop up onto the trailer,chuck the stabs off and grab one and deliver it to me. They loved that work.  They were fantastic all rounders, easy to work with and easy to get along with. When the last one died, I moved on. there was simply nothing available to touch them but at the same time even though they lived to be 13yrs,,their actual working life was 5/6 years at the best and then they slowed down and took it easy,,almost like they were saying "Case proven". I could jolly them up for old times sake and they would perform. Their thinking was 100% but they grew to like their comfort.
  I bought a commercial property in an area that had anti-social problems and had loads of break ins,,so invested in an Akita/Shepherd X. The Akita matures very quickly and has a name for being aggressive but also has extremely powerful eyes and do not faze easily. As a pup he was great gas and training was actually easy because the Mum was the Shepherd, even if he had the Dad,s personality,,the mum was smart to boot. Both owners were on the wrong side of the law back then. He was like a mini bear as a pup,,very very confident. I was afraid he might be a Hitler or a Napoleon but I need not have worried he was a charmer with the ladies and had this incredible nose for right and wrong. He could smell "Bad". The minute my Old Man met him, he said that he was the first dog that i ever had that he liked. The others used to give him a hard time Grin. (especially if he had drink taken).
    So his training was going well and we enjoyed ourselves. He was a fantastic swimmer and had deep webbed feet. He was deadly with car thieves and drunken thugs,,No barking no threatening , just this very quiet approachg and when he was challenged, the results were spectacular, He went everywhere with me.
 So it came to the point where he was supposed to pick up lengths of 3x2,,balance them and take them to me. He would lift them and balance them,,carry them 5 steps,,drop them and lift one end and drag it after him. This was not what I wanted. He was supposed to get to the part where he had to go through a doorway without putting down the wood. he was supposed to turn the length of timber vertical and walk through he gap. I had to give up. I was missing something serious. His teeth were immaculate, his neck was that powerful he could lift me off the ground by sticking his head under my backside and just lift straight up. So it was somethings else. I was given a book called "Winterdance" by Gary Paulson and the habits and characteristics of the lead musher,s dogs were really strong in my dog. Lead dogs had to be "Thin ice" dogs, They inherit this need to have their weight as light as possible and free to use their lightening reflexes to change direction. Carrying big thick lumps of wood about was not for them. It was like asking them to "Meaow" like a cat. He would fetch and carry small stuff and play ball to the cows come home. He was very close to my son. They got along like a house on fire. So even though I had to back off in that direction, I soon realised that he could do things that no other dog could do.I learned a lot from him. He was the only surviving pup in his litter of 8. His Dad ended up in an Akita rescue center. His last surviving sibling was shot by the police after attacking too many people. We were lucky we met. He was my Vet,s favourite and they had great rapport. He had a 6th sense unlike any dog I ever knew,,even when he was knocked out on the operating table getting stitched,,he would growl if the wrong person entered the room. That was creepy, even my vet was quite impressed with that. i still talk to him as i pass his grave in the evenings. He was a "One Off" he made sure of that. He was infertile. He spent the remaining few years of his life in the company of Natily,,who adored him. My wife and I still talk about him as if he is still here..It,s good.
                                                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #455 on: December 03, 2017, 04:38:36 PM »

Lovely history Biff Grin
Wish that I had saved it for my breakfast coffee!!!

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Greenbeast

« Reply #456 on: December 03, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »

Cracking stuff
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #457 on: December 20, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »

I have often wondered how the different gifts that enable different people to communicate with different species are allocated,
      Horses and dogs we can understand,but when it gets to bears, wolverines, honey badgers and meercats, it takes quite a special knowledge,combined with patience and the right chemistry to succeed.
Last night I was watching a program on some guy called Roger Horrocks who was feeding crocodiles by hand and it triggered something in my memory of a poor fisherman who rescued a crocodile from sure death, The fisherman had to hide the crocodile from the public officials because no one on Costa Rico was allowed to keep a crocodile without a licence , He had managed to get the licence and then his wife left him because he had started lying down and napping beside the crocodile. Gilberto told the neighbours that he could always get another wife but he would never be able to get another "Pocho" again.
When Pocho was strong enough, Gilberto too him to the river and released him back into the wild but next morning when he awoke his first wife was oin a state because Pocho was lying asleep on the front veranda. She upped and left shortly after. Gilberto was elated and realised that if the Crocodile returned under it,s own freewill, then it could be trained.,,
  At that point I assumed that Gilberto would eventually become part of Pocho,s diet and forgot all about it..So when Horrocks was faffing about in the river,,water up to his ankles and feeding the crocs,,my mind immediately went back to Gilberto and Pocho and remarked to Mrs Biff,," Now there is a guy who could show Roger a thing or two about crocodiles..So i googled " The Man Who Swam With Crocodiles" and to my astonishment ,, I discovered that Gilberto was still alive but Pocho had died a natural death but not before Roger Horrocks had gone to Costa Rico, Met up with Gilberto and Pocho and recorded some amazing footage.. Roger had eventually worked up the courage to get into the river and try and meet Pocho in his patch.. It was obvious to anyone watching that Pocho was the apple of Gilberto,s eye and vice versa. Pocho actually behaved very much like a well behaved shepherd or Rottie would behave, ( cannot believe that I am writing this)  and like any Rottie worth his salt,, he would be suspicious of strangers, especially ones pointing cameras at him..I realised very quickly that Pocho did not want Horrocks to come between him and Gilberto,, yet he demonstrated quite politely that getting friendly with roger was not an option,, those few moments of breath holding tension saw Pocho glide by Roger,s head just 6 inches away and turn and disappear out into the middle of the river. The part that fascinated me was the actions of Gilberto,s hands in controlling pocho,s positions. Pocho,s eye was up on top of his head and Gilberto had to hold his hands up above Pocho so that he could see the properly to communicate and obey. Pocho did not dawdle,, he obeyed immediately. If you can find the time or spare half an hour to watch the video (Its free) pay specialy attention to the way that Gilberto uses the hands,,the way that he shapes his palms making sure that pocho can see them. I found this absolutely amazing, totally astonishing because it is also the way that i would start off a young dog on hand signals..   "The Man Who Swims With Crocodiles" is well worth a watch, you will be richer for it,,It is really about the power of love, it simply cannot be about anything else. Of course Gilberto made a lot of money  but that came long after Pocho and he had established their special relationship. Gilberto is also a very normal guy but intelligent to boot. He has a good sense of humour and incredibly,,he had transferred this to Pocho.. When they meet up,, Pocho comes bearing down on Gilberto with his jaws wide open ans closes them at the last moment to get his greeting kiss on the nose..
  There has to be something in this relationship that we could transfer to international diplomacy. Patience, understanding and lots of love.
                                                Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #458 on: December 21, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »

Wow!
Fascinating video Biff great spot and thanks for sharing. Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
M

« Reply #459 on: December 28, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »

Some good news today. Remember Scout the guide dog we boarded for 5 weeks this Autumn. Well his GDO (guide dog owner) rang us today to say hello, that he was doing great, getting loads of cuddles, and also may need a home in June for 2 weeks (off on holiday) so would we ...... YES YES YES ... be able to ..... YES YES YES ...... have him ..... YES YES YES ...... guess what our answer was?

We've also had a couple of short visits from another local guide dog, so that's been lovely too. We also boarded our friends 7 month old Lab for a week, lovely dog, but boy them pups is hard work, he'll be great when he's two!

New cat Harley doing fine, he's been allowed out now, and was kind enough to come back just short of the 'don't panic Mr Mainwaring' time limit.

Neighbours are away for a week, so nearly time for me to pop over and put sausages out for the foxes, and mealworms out for the hedgehogs ....... it's almost like a suburban petting zoo?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #460 on: December 31, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »

Day 33 of 49. Another walk along Ridge Lane with Mollie the collie at dawn. It was an accident waiting to happen. She cannot resist the farm quad-bike but this time she fell off with her hock caught in a hole. The result was a clean break above the hock on the rear left.
The vet screwed the 2 halves of the break together and fitted a glove over the wound to keep it clean. She had one of those annoying conical collars to keep her teeth away from the stitches and one week in the big cage, with toilet breaks. That week was hard on both of us. At day 8 it was collar and glove off. The vet said she was allowed a half hour of walking per day for 6 weeks, no running or jumping. And so to traffic-free Ridge Lane with its solar farm. I have to say that it was astonishing to be behind a dog walking perfectly so soon after the operation.
So here we are at day 33, stretching the walk to 1.5 miles before she goes back in her cage.
Stan

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:32:11 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #461 on: December 31, 2017, 12:12:18 PM »

You are doing well Stann,
                   The collie is a lively breed and normally it is impossible to get them to stay in the one spot for a second. So just 2 weeks to go.
         Hopefully all will knit well together.
                                       Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #462 on: December 31, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »

She's 8 years old now Biff, which helps. Also we have not been perfect in that she does run a few dozen yards each time that she gets the chance, back at the farm.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
M

« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »

She's 8 years old now Biff, which helps. Also we have not been perfect in that she does run a few dozen yards each time that she gets the chance, back at the farm.
Stan

Slowing down a Collie, rather you than me. Hope it continues to go well.

We've got another visitor in 2 weeks time. Not a guide dog, but a Cocker Spaniel puppy belonging to a guide dog puppy walker. They are on hols for a week, so we offered to help out. Apparently he's very respectful and a bit scared too of cats, so he should get on fine here.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
camillitech

« Reply #464 on: December 31, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »

Not a happy dog,

The 'wee dug' is confined to the cage for six months!!!!! Molly has a ligament that's become detached so has to rest, fat chance, so it's 'in the cage'. Poor wee dug.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: