navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 79652 times)
Greenbeast

« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »

Well spotted, his mum at least has Romanian papers.
Yes we worry about GDV a lot in this household, we have 5 others of breeds that are prone (in fact one has suffered but i noticed early enough for us to get into the practice for the OH and a colleague to sort him in time)

Ha ha, not quite the guard dog look but never mind if that proves to be true, he's such a lovely dog. And his mum has really come around massively. When she arrived she would cower and circle, hated men and was really hard work. Now, even just 5 months later, she is a different dog. The pair of them are out on the farm with me whenever i'm not moving vehicles about and she has really warmed to me and even loves affection and hugs from me. I take them both to training and they are both doing extremely well. She's very rewarding because she's more focused and attentive to me as she's an adult and now she's not fearful of every situation she really excels.
M

« Reply #481 on: February 08, 2018, 07:39:27 AM »

Those dogs are gorgeous!

Cat + tablet trick for anyone interested. Vet suggested a trick and it works well. Crush tablet to powder then mix in something sticky such as furball paste (we've been using a drop of honey) only takes a small amount, then grab cat, smear paste on teeth, gums, face .... whatever's easiest, then retire to dress wounds.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #482 on: February 08, 2018, 08:37:02 AM »

Trexie cat is now 14.
It does not get easier.
'Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.

And say 'These wounds I had on Trexie's worming day' facepalm
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #483 on: February 08, 2018, 10:23:49 AM »

You can buy long sleeved gloves for the job,!
                              You can also buy a chain mail glove, stir. Once I went to visit a dog breeder who looked after a pack of hunting hounds. As he walked down the rows of kennels, he took this right hand glove off a hook and put it on. It was chain mail. I thought maybe the dogs were that bad and asked him which ones were the nasty ones. He started laughing and said the dogs were fine. It was the rats that were the problem. He stored their meat in a large barrel in a cooler house and the rats could dig through and hide among the joints. He mistakenly assumed a few times that the Rats were unable to get in and suffered a few bites before he bought the chain mail glove. "So now" he says, "I can grab the rat who grabs me" Shocked Shocked
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #484 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:53 AM »

It appears that a lack of understanding of quantum theory combined with wishful thinking is not a reliable way to get a GSD. However, a huge Labrador is just as good, especially one that can learn synchronized yawning within minutes.

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #485 on: February 09, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »

Wonderful!
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #486 on: February 09, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »

Beast and man in perfect harmony!!
Greenbeast

« Reply #487 on: February 09, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »

Ha ha, brilliant
Westie

« Reply #488 on: February 09, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »

Pawnography on the forum  Grin

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
M

« Reply #489 on: February 10, 2018, 07:32:25 AM »

Pawnography on the forum  Grin

Yawnography?

What a big baby he is. He cries when we put him to bed, he cries in the morning for us to go down and cuddle him, and he's crying now because Wifey's gone back to bed and I'm pottering on the computer.

Such a sweetie.

Serious question, can dogs hurt their tail from wagging too hard? He's got a very solid tail and he puts his whole bum into it, it really hurts if you are next to him, and the noise from walls, doors, radiators etc is incredible. If I kneel down to fuss him, and he's alongside me with us both facing forward, then the wags on my back are actually too painful to tolerate, it's a proper 'beating'.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #490 on: February 10, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »

Hi M,
       Tails are very strong. I think he is asking for something. It would be no harm to take note of the times of day that he gets most excited.
  I would try and keep him calm and not let him get too excited because he will be forced to walk about looking for a place to lift his leg against.
 Every time a dog gets as excited as that, his waterworks need to be relieved., they can only hold on so long but he will tell you,
  If you have a tree out the back garden,, take him out and watch how far up the tree he lifts his leg and aims. He is making a statement regarding power and ownership.
  You do get very caring and emotional dogs, It,s a tough life being loved like that. Grin
                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #491 on: February 10, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »

He's just had huge fuss off a guy with a lovely South African accent in B&Q.

Hi, Biff, the tail is pretty much constant, whether cuddling him, playing with him, or he's offering various toys to the cats, he's just a super happy gentle giant of a Lab. I'm interested to see if he calms down a bit over the next few days, as he may be trying to impress his 'new pack' by being extra friendly and submissive.

These dogs are obviously breed for their ability to live in the moment and be re-homed / moved about, but I'm sure they are all a bit unsure underneath, at first.

M

« Reply #492 on: February 12, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »

Party time!!!!!!  extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy

Richard's (yes that's the dog's name) trainer is happy to pick him up on Mondays for 4 days training, then drop him back on Thursday, so we can keep him for the whole basic training period (around 10 weeks). Wifey and I are happy, the cats are less pleased.

Greenbeast

« Reply #493 on: March 19, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »

Growing well, little woodland walk while the truck had it's mot

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #494 on: March 19, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »

Nice photo GB.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: