navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 119811 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #495 on: March 19, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »

He is a lovely Dog GB,
                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #496 on: March 20, 2018, 07:17:08 AM »

They grow up so quickly!!! Grin
Great photo GB

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Greenbeast

« Reply #497 on: March 20, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »

Thanks guys. Continue to be extremely lucky with this boy and his mum is turning into a cracking dog too, after a bad start in life.
He's now heavier and taller than she is and only 7 or so months old
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #498 on: March 22, 2018, 02:14:47 PM »

Birthday boy and his gal ,

We have a nice Lamb dinner with stewed nuts for them this evening, He is now officially an old timer.
                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #499 on: March 22, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »

Happy birthday! Grin

M

« Reply #500 on: March 24, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »

So ....... this happened!

Helping out Monday morning at the cat rescue centre. Fussed a new cat an old feral Queen who'd been caught the night before. Then moved her to a crate for a trip to the vet's to be checked out as she seemed unwell (she was). She was in pain and bit my finger. No probs, didn't really hurt, nor bother me. there are gauntlets available but I didn't want to scare her even more.

Monday afternoon finger was swollen, then hand got painful, then armpit (yep!). Went to A&E at 9pm, saw a great nurse at midnight, described pain up my arm, front and back, but no marks. She said that was probably lymph tracking and started anti-biotics immediately. Saw the doctor at 4am (it was crazy busy), and found I had red lines up my arms (there were two more on the top of the forearm.

Came close to surgery, they wanted to go the whole 'game of thrones' on me and slice my finger all the way up to clean it, but that got downgraded to a plaster cast and rest and arm in the air because I could just about wiggle the joints slightly and wasn't in agony.

Wednesday morning, and near to passing out on my feet, a bed became available, hooray. So there I was on a ward with lots of seriously ill folk, and doppy Mart with a boo boo on his finger.

Got home Thursday afternoon, and cast off Friday, plus a lot of sleeping.

I think I got taught a valuable lesson about being so blasie about cat scratches and bites. It's not the damage they do, but the time bombs they might leave behind.

On more fun, here's an action pic of Richard catching snow balls. He's in advanced training and being matched at the moment, so he should be placed in about a month, probably with someone with some sight as he's 'not the most focused of guide dogs'. This one is gonna hurt like hell when he leaves ....... so much for thinking it would get easier.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #501 on: March 24, 2018, 08:36:59 PM »

Wow Mart.
           But these things happen.plenty of good rest and after care..
            Biff

M

« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »

Wow Mart.
           But these things happen.plenty of good rest and after care..
            Biff

Thanks Biff, my attitude has always been 's**t happens', but I think I have to take the blame on this one for my blasie approach to minor cat injuries. Serious infection is probably a numbers game and I've been playing too much. First day back at the center today and there's a new sign up advising folk to wear gloves whenever unsure, or with hissy cats - the sign goes on to suggest asking Martyn about A&E if in doubt!  Embarrassed

I hope it's also good advice for all on here who are as daft as me, to be extra careful and seek medical care if things go bad fast (within hours) and if any 'tracking' appears.

On a lighter note, I just got back from the Trauma clinic as I had to pop back for a check up and official discharge. I cycled there and back, my first cycle since they discharged me last August after my ickle bike accident. Can't say it was all that enjoyable, I may stick to the exercise bike. Not sure if Wifey will be happy about my adventure, I suspect not.

Big smiles this morning - small scared cat at the rescue center actually came for a big cuddle today, it's been hiding at the back of its crate for a month, and tolerating my fuss with a look of terror, but I finally wore it down. It's so nice to know it isn't 'too' upset. Normally those that are really upset get fostered out to the volunteers till forever homes can be found, but it's kitten season and spare homes are scarce.

Lastly, Richard is almost certainly leaving us on the 17th of April (he's off at training now till Thurs), he's a total heart breaker, gonna be tough  Cry

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #503 on: March 26, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »

Glad to hear that you are mended after the latest adventure.
You don't realise the risk until it's too late.
Good advice though much appreciated sorry you had to suffer to give it Grin

Stumbled upon this the other day, have been steering clear for obvious reasons!!!!

http://www.lizziesbarn.co.uk/homes-needed/

Should you ever wander westwards the kettle is always on. Grin

ceisra

« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2018, 09:26:01 PM »

I also have the scars that prove cats can be nasty little animals.
My son and his girlfriend/partner acquired a little bundle of fur 3 years ago, as they lived round the corner from me I interacted with him nearly every day.
I soon realised he was only one step from feral and we had a few run ins with just a few scratches and bites as he grew up.
Then recently I picked him up to carry him in and found out the hard way what an evil little beast he can be. He hissed at me and before I could drop him he sank his fangs into my right hand thumb knuckle, then flicked his head round and did the same to the left hand.
My wife took me to our doctors and the receptionists first statement was you will have to go to A&E.
My reply was the sign in the waiting room was A&E is for life threatening injury's only and so I was seen by a senior nurse who cleaned me up and dressed the wounds with a base dressing of Manuka honey and I left with a dose of antibiotics.
Next day my hands and arms had swelled up and my thumbs would not move, when pressure was applied to try and move them it was agony.
It took a week for the swelling to go down and a month before I got full use of the thumbs as it turned out his fangs had touched the tendons on each hand.
The cat and its owners are currently living in our house while their new one is built, I am much more cautious of him and we have had a few run ins since.
Much to every ones amazement I still don't blame him as he was only doing what he could to tell me he did not want to go into the house and if you watch the Super Vet that showed even mild mannered cats can inflict serious injuries.

Roger   

16 X 240W Panasonic panels with a 3.6 ABB ( PowerOne ) inverter
http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=40128&sid=36661
Westie

« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »

Bad luck Mart, My son is an A&E doctor, he's told us cat bites are serious, their sharp long front teeth are usually covered in nasty bacteria, the bite creates a deep puncture wound which can't be disinfected, end result is usually an infection, standard procedure for cat bites for A&E staff is to start intravenous antibiotics asap (as you found out) facepalm

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »

It has been a years or so since I last saw Mrs Hubs,
                                                       She was a large black cat who lived on the site before i came here. this was her abode, Her little oasis in the bog. She was totally wild and i mean wild. They few times that i did try and get friendly with her were met with the most malingering evil looks. It was as if she could read my mind. She would dump her kittens on me and i would try and look after them. On one occasion Xena and 4 legged Biff adopted a small tortoise shell colored one who she left struggling in the rain and was near death before i picked it up and put it in my anorak pocket. In the morning,I would set off with the hounds and I would walk about with this very small feeble kitten in my large anorak pocket. I gave Mrs Hubs plenty of chances to come back and claim her but Hubs had another litter on the way.
 I would work in the garden and Xena and Biff would look after this Kitten. Then the call of the wild interfered in our very comfortable little group..She mated before we knew what happened and I don,t think that she had any idea of what was going on. I remember 4 legged Biff and Xena were quite annoyed but the wild toms around here are dangerous..Tinky had her kittens and they thrived. She grew back closer to Xena and Biff and her kittens followed suit.,.I managed to trap Mrs Hubs and a lady came around and took her away to get her neutered. I warned her about Hubs, but this was a cat expert..She may have been laid back in handling Mrs Hubs in her cage on collection but when she arrived back,,She asked me to lift the cage out of the van for her. So as before, I threw a very heavy blanket over the lot and wore large heavy gloves. I remember when I trapped her, She was raging mad,absolutely ferocious not in the slightest bit afraid but would without doubt do a dam,d fine job on me if she got out of the cage. I threw the big heavy blanket over the cage and lifted it up,, A long black arm reached out under the blanket and her claw ripped across my builders boots,,right up to the ankle protectors. I have been sized up and attacked by pitbulls more than once and it did not bother me that much,,But that Mrs Hubs could move like lightening and confuse you as to what direction she was actually coming from. She was some kind of a crazy dervish when she got going. She creeped me out quite a few times. On one occasion i was working down a deep drain,,some 8 to 10ft deep,,One side was straight up and the other side had a grassy bank about 5 ft up. I stopped for tea from my flask and after a break about 10 minutes,,went back down and got to work. this time I stood up to stretch my back and wipe away the sweat and there was Hubs,,curled up in a ball pretending to be asleep about 18" from my head. I had the spade in my hand but I backed away down the drain, She just stretched in the suns rays, If you did not know better,, you would swear that she was in a friendly mood but I knew her well and waited till she cleared off. Feral cats are very dangerous animals. They are not submissive at all and will rip a lump out of you if you displease them, Tinky was a sweet soul and nothing like her mother..After her kittens went to good homes, She fell into depression. Biff was quite concerned about her but neither he nor Xena could help her. Then one morning i woke up and from our gable window, I saw her lifeless body lying on the white line on the middle of the road at the top of our driveway. Very public, you could not miss it. She had been run over. I believe that the company of the other cats who stopped here from time to time was not to her liking. She was just too caring and loving. Perhaps that is why Hubs dumped her in the beginning. We have portraits on our wall of her playing with Xena and Biff in the rear yard. She would climb all over them as they lay on their backs pretending to fight back. There was surprising tenderness between the three of them. The Dogs were in their senior years and she was their kid of perhaps grandchild. She gave them a purpose.
   It seems to me that the word feral means a lot more than undomesticated,,The mindset is different. That is the shocking thing. There must be a difference in the genes as well, even though they breed with the local domestic cats. Hubs never forgave me for sending her away to get neutered. She actually left the area and would only return every few months to check things over.
A good friend of mine once told me that she was more than likely a witch,, Oh I know what you are thinking but then again, I am not given to pissoggs and superstition but I could well believe she was a witch. If she can came at you,,like she came at me,,You would believe it too.
                                                    Biff

M

« Reply #507 on: March 27, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »

Wow Roger, I got off super light compared to you. The joint agony bit makes sense, it was the fact I could just wiggle my index finger a mm or so that saved me having surgery to flush it out. The doc pressed on each knuckle and I said it's sore but nothing special - he explained that if it was really bad i'd be clinging to the ceiling, as per your agony comment. just took last antibiotic and I assume I'm mostly healed as the whole finger is itching like mad today ......... I genuinely have 'an itchy trigger finger!'

Wifey got home yesterday and I told her about my success wearing down the scared black cat, and she had a suspicious smile on her face. She said she already knew, and so did many others?

Turns out my friend and neighbour video'd me (I thought she just took a pic), and it had been posted on the center's facebook site. (I'm not on FB).

Anyone interested can see it on here ARC - Anna's Rescue Center by this point it had already knocked my glasses clean off.

M

« Reply #508 on: March 27, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »

It seems to me that the word feral means a lot more than undomesticated,,The mindset is different. That is the shocking thing. There must be a difference in the genes as well, even though they breed with the local domestic cats. Hubs never forgave me for sending her away to get neutered. She actually left the area and would only return every few months to check things over.

Biff

Totally agree, I think there's a scale somewhere from outdoor cat, to undomesticated, to feral, to wild.

And size wise, whilst a hissy female shouldn't be underestimated, a big male can do a hell of a lot of damage in a surprisingly short amount of time, but at the same time, a big male (like our Flash) can be incredibly loving once befriended and neutered (after a month or so when the chemicals go down, and the cheeks get smaller), as they appreciate the easier life in a house, than the very hard day to day existence outside, when they will probably last 8yrs or less.

The center sets traps for ferals, and hopefully they can be re-homed if they can be befriended, but if not at least they are neutered before release, but boy oh boy there are a lot of feral cats.

M

« Reply #509 on: April 17, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »

Anyone remember me posting this pic years ago of my neighbours feral cat with his giant head in a dog bowl (that's not a cat bowl, it's about ten inches across).

...... well ...... he's gotten a bit aggressive towards their new young cats. The lady-of-the house is my volunteer partner for cleaning out the rescue center two mornings a week, and has adopted some rescues.

I assume Chunk is defending his patch as he needs any spare food, but he's too big and scary for their small cats. So we put a trap out last week, and finally on Sunday his luck ran out. So we've moved him into our dog crate in their garage, and he's off to the vets today for a check. I'm certain he'll be FIV, so that'll make re-homing a bit trickier, but the good news is that he let me stroke his head (with gloves on), and then fuss his head and back (without gloves, and A&E on speed dial). He seems frightened and submissive, but not wild.

He's a big, big boy, and I'll try to get some better pics today. Fingers crossed (whilst they are still attached to my hand) that after neutering and some re-hab, he'll accept some human attention, and may be re-homeable where he will enjoy a much easier life.

Now, where did I leave that whip and chair?

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: