navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 116857 times)
M

« Reply #615 on: August 10, 2019, 04:35:43 PM »

We need more pics of Bodie and Doyle.....

As requested.

One pic of the new circus act - "Flying Flash & The Four Ginga's"

(Sorry for the mess)

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #616 on: August 11, 2019, 02:41:57 PM »

Love it!  Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
M

« Reply #617 on: August 17, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »

Cars, pets, karma and restoring faith in humanity?

So, Wifey got home yesterday morning and showed me a note that was on her car (our car, but don't tell her). It said sorry for the damage and left a phone number. And yes, there was a large white rub mark on the off-side wheel arch, perhaps 50mm x 200mm (2 inch by 8 inch).

But what was interesting was that in different hand writing and different ink, was a description of 'the van' and its registration number.

So we have a look at the damage and it does look pretty bad, but as I rub it with a sponge and pick with my nails, most of the thick white paint comes off. Then I 'af a go at it' with a soft(ish) kitchen sponge/scrubber, and slowly the rest comes off. There is a small shallow dent, perhaps a mm or so deep, but you have to look for it, it's tiny, and our car is 6yrs old, so won't affect its price at all.

So Wifey sends a text to the number, to see if they left a real number, and it's real, and they immediately ask if they can come round, clean it, T-cut, see how bad etc.. But Wifey explains that the damage is trivial, it looked far worse than it was, and not to worry.

Then they ask if they can buy us a bottle of wine, so we suggest they make a small donation to the cat rescue I volunteer at.

And that's when it gets interesting. The accident happened as they were having a bit of a panic as they'd taken their cat to the vet, but it escaped from the car and got lost. They'd tracked it to a house garden, but the homeowners were away and it was locked up.

Wifey suggested they ring the cat charity, mention us, and ask if they can borrow a trap, any advice on catching, and put the cat details on the website.

They did all this, and made a 20 donation, but on returning fully armed with toys, catnip etc, the cat ran and jumped into the car with them.

So, in short, a small accident happened. The people left their details. They left real details, but just in case another person left info for us. They were genuine and as it turned out in need of help, and determined to repay, or pay-forward our handling of the event, and (though they didn't ultimately need it) by being honest they got instant help and support to solve their little disaster too.

There are some right prats in this world, but I still believe that the vast majority of people are nice, kind and honest. And what goes around comes around.

Hope this little story was fun, and just about shoehorned into a pet thread.

Here's to all the nice people out there ..... and their pets.

The only downside now though is that our car has one clean patch, making the rest of the car look dirty. Still I'm sure that patch will muck up soon enough.  Wink

Tigger

« Reply #618 on: August 20, 2019, 01:48:37 PM »

Mart,

What a wonderful story that reinforces our general faith in humanity.

Ian.

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #619 on: October 11, 2019, 08:37:50 AM »

So, here's a pick of lovely little Annie a guide dog staying with us for two weeks whilst her owner is on holiday:

Annie is tiny, she can walk (slightly stooped) under Buster, but can hold her own in a game of 'bitey face' and Buster tends to roll on his back to make it fairer. I'm not sure if she is just a very small Lab, or possibly a Working Lab as that breed is a bit more petite.

Now for the depressing bit, that's to say I'm a bit depressed. The lovely Vesper has now moved on from us after 5 months, and his training though delayed is now going strong. If he's withdrawn we will ask to adopt him, but hopefully he'll make it. But he stayed a bit too long and got a bit too deep through our mental armour.

Also, and I shouldn't let it get to me, but the rescue has lost a few cats lately, some older ones that we knew weren't in great health, but coming into contact with more animals, means you lose more animals (perhaps I'm too soft for this  Wink game). But this week pee'd me off - On Monday I turned up for my cleaning shift and amongst the additions were two new boys both 12yrs old. One is a stunning smokey blue fluff ball and incredibly affectionate, it's pen partner is a biggish, light ginger boy who was cowering at the back quite traumatized.

I was told the story that a vet had rung the charity, a lady had passed away and the relatives had taken the four cats to the vet, two 16+ and pretty ill, and the two 12yr olds, pretty healthy, to have them all PTS (put to sleep) ...... well that's nice isn't it!!!!!

So we took the two younger ones (the vet said that PTS was kinder for the other two), and as I said they are adorable. I've been down each day and lay at the back of the pen and fuss the ginger (who is hidden in the far corner), he loves having his head rubbed, and has almost come over to me but is clearly still upset over the dramatic change in his fortunes. We needed names for them, so I've suggested Mango for the light ginger due to his colour and he is so, so sweet, and because the other one is simply adorable and so affectionate, ran with the theme and suggested 'Passion'.

Sorry for the rant, had to get it of my chest, and seriously considering whether I'm cut out for animal volunteering as I let things get to me. There again, the positives outweigh the negatives, and sometimes you just have to suck it up, and get on - plus one pen has 8 kittens in it, which is a madhouse but leaves you smiling, and you can't get that just anywhere.  Grin

PS Annie likes our kits Bodie and Doyle, she pokes them with her nose, and they bop her on the head quite gently. They are already as big as mum (she is a very small queen), and judging by their tails, they will be much bigger than I expected.

Tigger

« Reply #620 on: October 11, 2019, 09:35:11 AM »

Mart,

If you're in any way religious then there's a special place waiting for you and you deserve it Smiley

You're right, the more you're exposed to Pets the more heartache you have to deal with, but ultimately it is all worth it.

Keep up the good work.

Ian.

p.s. note to the moderators, please can you change Mart's handle to St M Smiley

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #621 on: October 11, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »

Mart,
I would like to second Ian, deeply impressed by what you do, I know that my own mental armour would not be strong enough.  I become far to attached to animals to ever let go of a trainee guide dog.  I am sorry to hear that you are going through a down period (hardly surprising) and hope that the rewards that close contact with animals give, can pull you back into the sunshine. Keep it up, your friends here are proud of what you do. Grin

Philip R

« Reply #622 on: October 11, 2019, 02:15:39 PM »

Mart.
Your efforts at the rescue centre make a big difference and the animals you deal with benefit as a result.
It will have its downs but the ups must be highly rearding too.
Philip R.
Fintray

« Reply #623 on: October 11, 2019, 02:22:59 PM »

genuflect

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
M

« Reply #624 on: October 11, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »

Thanks guys, sorry for over-sharing this morning, but it's nice to have a place for an occasional emotional escape/release, and know that I can be called a silly prat ..... with affection.

Quick pics:

After Vesper moved to new training, we did have him back for a week whilst the trainer was on holiday - "I think I've got something annoying stuck in my tail!"

And Buster today - "I had this nightmare that I was surrounded by kittens!"

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #625 on: October 11, 2019, 05:55:59 PM »

Hi Mart
          I second what Tod wrote. You do great work and Mrs Biff and I hold you in very high esteem. It is people like you Mart who make the world a better place.
   Cheers.
       Biff and Mrs Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #626 on: October 29, 2019, 09:18:34 AM »

Something to aim for!
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2019/oct/28/new-tricks-dogs-catch-flying-discs-in-pictures

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #627 on: October 30, 2019, 06:14:21 AM »

Fantastic images Stan, as the companion of a border collie who if you throw something for him just looks 'you threw the **** thing YOU fetch it' he has a similar attitude to sheep.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #628 on: October 30, 2019, 06:43:50 AM »

Ah Tod,
    Elliot shows forward thinking and planning. Some do and some don't. fingers crossed!
Brilliant pics Stann, I wonder do they land foul at times,  They seem so intent on getting the frisbee at all costs that they jump to catch regardless of where they might land.

Biff
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:53:13 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #629 on: November 13, 2019, 06:43:55 AM »

We got an early Xmas present yesterday. I answered the phone to a call from the Guide Dogs trainer working with Vesper, to say he was in her car, and needing a home.

To our surprise he'd made it through advanced training, been matched, and had just completed his training with the GDO (guide dog owner), but the lady was a bit overcome with the additional responsibility, and getting stressed, and had to make the very hard decision to withdraw, so Vesper became surplus to requirements, once again.

All trainers have dogs now, and it's unlikely to match him this side of Xmas with a new GDO, so the house is crazy again, with two big retrievers playing 'bitey face', Flash cat watching with a hint of disgust, and the two ginger ninjas Bodie and Doyle trying to play with the giant gingers.

Good times.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: