navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 144549 times)
M

« Reply #720 on: March 27, 2020, 04:33:43 PM »

Vesper - "That's not mud, this is MUD!"

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
knighty

« Reply #721 on: March 27, 2020, 05:21:43 PM »

Quick update, chat, boredom relief ......

I read that three times.... the first two times I read it as "bedroom relief" and was very confused

:-o
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #722 on: March 27, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »

Awe knighty,
        There is life in the old dawg  yet   hysteria
               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #723 on: April 22, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »

Quick cattery update, as I dared not post before today (explain later). So cat numbers declined (mostly through adoptions, but one ancient old girl spent her last few weeks with us too) down to 6, which was odd, as I was leaving a house with 6 animals, to feed and clean 'down the rescue' who also had six - started to question my sanity regarding pets, but .... what the hell.

Numbers have gone back up (especially this morning, explain later) with some rescues, so now at 13 cats plus 3 kittens (or is it more (explain later). The kittens came in with a feral mom from the local tip. She's probably Rufus' missus, because she's an absolute firebrand. I've given up trying to make friends, but have been able to handle the kits most days.

Three incredibly affectionate pregnant moms (or is it two (explain later)) and another mom whose kits have left, that just want to be cuddled and loved.

So .............. there was this gorgeous pregnant cat, who was in a bottom pen, and every day I'd open the door, she'd hiss at me, but I'd lay down and climb halfway in, then fuss her, and she'd purr and push her head into my hand, and walk in circles, headbutt me, and flop over, even letting me fuss her belly. But, I know very little about pregnant cats, and when I asked Anna about her, she thought she was overdue to give birth, and asked if I'd felt anything (as the hissing had put her off examining the cat). I said I'd felt nothing, just a fat belly, heartbeat (one) and purring vibrations.

This went on for another week, and each day I'd feel the belly, hoping to feel squirming, but nothing, and I'd leave after telling her I hoped her kits were OK. Didn't want to mention anything, as I assumed the news would be bad.

But, as you've probably guessed, today, I was greeted by a halfhearted hiss, followed by a huge head rub into my hand, and after a quick wriggle, the sight of 4 (possibly 5) little kits all feeding and snuggling under her. She seemed just as happy and sweet as ever and even gave my hand a quick wash whilst cleaning the kits.

Fingers crossed that they all make it, but at least 'stage one' was successful, proving I have no midwifery skills at all when it comes to examining a pregnant cat.

I'll try for some photos, but the little blighters have a habit of 'not making it' when you get emotionally involved, so be prepared for the numbers to possibly decline, though I hope not.

M

« Reply #724 on: April 23, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »

Got some photos this morning, quick shot of my short hairy legs, and lovely Lolly who won't leave me alone. I go back and for multiple times to each pen, but everytime I stop, she's resting against my legs:

So, on to building two and the new kits with proud mum Sophia. But her very fluffy tail is hiding the kits. She's in her favourite spot, and this allows me to lay down next to the basket for a fuss fest. Sharp eyed members might spot some pink (ears I think) to the left of the white patch on her side, and circled by the fluffy tail

Here are some of the tiny kits.

And good news, I think there are actually 5 kits, but they kept squirming, and her tail kept moving, and I kept counting fluffy adult legs as kits (very similar size and colour).

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #725 on: April 23, 2020, 02:18:37 PM »

As always Mart, hat tipped, fabulous photos.
Hope you are all ok. This virus must be making life very difficult at the rescue.
We once had a Lolly, he was called Stretch, also abandoned, he believed his place in life was around our necks or failing that curled up with Todthedog in his basket.
Working in a poly tunnel with a cat as a scarf is interesting !
Stay safe

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #726 on: April 23, 2020, 05:05:54 PM »

Hiya Tod. TBF to Anna she's done an incredible job in getting cats adopted. She's been doing home checks via video chats,  and hand overs of cats by placing cleaned (wiped) carriers down for the adopters to then pick up, maintaining social distance. Not ideal but its working.

Kitten season now, and I think she's got ~70 kittens booked. The bulk of the Mums will be with fosters, and the kits go straight to the adopters, so I don't get to see most of them, but some mum's (like Lolly) then come to the rescue awaiting their own adoption. I did wonder if Lolly was still in kitten mode when she first arrived, and was trying to find someone to love, but I think she's genuinely a very affectionate cat.

Funny story from Tuesday, well I think it's funny. I arrived and saw that there was a new boy in one of the large pens. I let most of the cats out as they get along, then cleaned and fed everyone. I went in to see new boy, and the board said 'ex-feral be cautious', but after I offered him a knuckle to sniff, he climbed out of his hidey hole and was very friendly. I left the cats out for a bit of 'yard time' whilst I went down to the other building with the (then pregnant Sophia) and a few others.  When I got back, I found 4 cats surrounding the new boys pen, two at the front door eyeing him up through the mesh, and two sitting in the pen next door, looking at him from the side. They wouldn't leave him alone.

I mentioned this to Anna, and said he must smell like catnip, it was like the feline version of a diet coke ad, with all the girls eyeing up the new boy. I then mentioned that the board said N (for neutered) but he still had quite impressive 'lumps', so was it very recent, and perhaps he was still oozing alpha male goodness for the ladies. But Anna said he'd come from another charity, so should be neutered, but she'd have a look. Later she rang to say that he wasn't neutered.

Them lady cats know what they want and they want a slice of Dinky Doo ..... yes that's his name!

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #727 on: April 24, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »

Great story Mart. Grin

Will he be retaining his bits?

Past experiences with entire toms have left me wary.
Biff's  experiences with ferrals in Ireland as raised a rueful smile surrender surrender

Kidwelly South Wales
Tigger

« Reply #728 on: April 24, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »

Thanks again Mart for the uplifting anecdotes, a great way to start the weekend.

Good to know all is well at the shelter.

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #729 on: April 25, 2020, 07:40:32 AM »

Hi guys. Dinky Doo will be losing his dinky doo's as soon as possible, all cats are spayed/neutered, whether adopted or 'catch and release'. But that's causing problems at the moment as vets are only doing emergencies, so neutering tends to be down to lucky timing if they'll fit a cat in, or if it's in for other treatment. But spaying has to wait. We have a gorgeous kitten called Mia, who is incredibly friendly and playful, but she needs spaying, which is a shame as she's reserved, and the adopters are ready and waiting for her. Tricky trying to get cats done later or they might escape out. Kittens obviously go 'intact' but at least you have a few months to get them done as they get big enough.

The feral mum gave Wifey an evil stare yesterday. She popped down with me to help fuss all the cats, and spent a good 10 mins with all three of the kits having a cuddle or walking around on her, whilst the attentive mum watched from her pen, and I cleaned the other pens. I think the kits will be fine, they don't mind us, but need regular contact so they don't get scared and defensive like mum.

Off to see them all in a bit.

M

« Reply #730 on: April 27, 2020, 05:47:33 PM »

Quick pic from today of Sophia and her kits. I did get a bit stressed/worried as I could only count 4 kits, over and over again, but eventually I spotted a fifth, mostly white, curled up right under her white fluffy belly, phew!

Between Sophia and her fluffy black tail is a 'mass' of black and white stripey bits - that's the kits ....... honest! And a teeny tiny tail by her front left paw.

Tigger

« Reply #731 on: April 28, 2020, 11:56:29 AM »

Thanks Mart, a lovely photo of a proud Mum with her babies Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #732 on: April 28, 2020, 12:28:47 PM »

Fabulous  Mart lovely photo made my morning. Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #733 on: April 29, 2020, 06:33:31 PM »

Sorry guys got some sad news. Laid down next to Sophia for our morning fuss fest but when I checked the kits I unfortunately found that two of the lovely little lights had gone out. I let Anna know, and she thought the remaining 3 kits seemed strong and healthy, but it's still early days, and there is also a chance of inbreeding that might have weakened the kits as Sophia came from a house with 30(ish) cats. [She is slowly trying to get them all neutered/spayed, and 'borrowing' some if their absence doesn't get noticed.]

I think I jumped the gun a bit with the pics, and following this particular family, so apologies for any upset caused. I'll keep giving her loads of fuss each day, and perhaps update in a week when the situation is hopefully less volatile.

Of course there is loads of good news, cats going to adopters, etc etc, including a fabulous little guy who was surrendered by a homeless lady, who is shy but wonderfully cuddly. He's quite small, but had big thumbs, so a quick check of his paws and he's got an extra toe on each foot (Polydactyl), so I've nicknamed him '22'.

Tigger

« Reply #734 on: April 29, 2020, 07:22:50 PM »

Hi Mart, good of you to tell us the sad news, fingers crossed for the remaining three and of course Mum.

I've only ever seen one cat with the extra toes, gives them the appearance of very big feet doesn't it.

As always, keep us updated, whatever happens ...

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: